Webasto care

Submitted: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 03:25
ThreadID: 122649 Views:4447 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
It's getting to that chilly time of year and there are some simple precautions you can take to make sure you're going to be warm when the time comes.

If you haven't used your heater for some time, check the condition of the fuel in your tank. Diesel left over a long period of time develops a life of its own and its acquaintance we could all do without. Chemtec and others produce additives that go a long way in preventing this growth and will not harm your heater.
Standard diesel will also do strange things in sub zero temperatures. Use alpine grade diesel or if you have close to a full tank of diesel before the trip, add some kerosine to your tank, around 30ml per Ltr this will reduce the 'waxing' or 'Gelling' of the diesel.
One of the many benefits you enjoy with a Bushtracker is the quality of insulation. The heater will reach your set temperature in a relatively short perion of time in all but the worst conditions. The heater will then cycle in and out to maintain the set temterature, the result being possible carbon build up in the burner.Let the heater run on maximum setting for an hour from time to time, every 100hrs or so.

Stay warm
Roger

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Turist - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 04:45

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 04:45
thanks for that Roger, and it's good to see you on the forum.
Please feel free to use the BOG, we appreciate any tips on how to get the best from our products.
For the new members I mention that Webasto are as one of our more generous supporters, assisting us to finance the web site.

Hope that you can make it to the rally in September Roger.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 568481

Reply By: Luvntravln - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 08:48

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 08:48
Thanks Roger

We LOVE our Webasto during the cold nights in the desert!

Worth its weight in gold.

Luvntravln
AnswerID: 568482

Reply By: Bushtracker - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 17:40

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 17:40
Good one Roger,

I just sterilized my system by adding about 25% kerosene to pickle it prior to winter to assure there was no growth. The kerosene is good for that... Not a bad biological disinfectant... There was no noticable difference in the heater output....

Please contact me via Email, sending pictures of the latest information on the state of development on the diesel HWS and stove... Regards from Bushtracker....
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 568483

Follow Up By: F Troop - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 18:59

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 18:59
You got it all wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go North for winter

With your wabi clean and full of fresh fuel.

Hi Roger, thanks for the tip and I will think of you in wet n cold Taren Point ,while in the Kimberley n places west, north and east.

Graham
FollowupID: 845808

Follow Up By:- Friday, May 05, 2006 at 02:10

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 02:10
yours and Turists advice to owners through the forum have been spot on. The trick is good fuel and clear air passages for exhaust and combustion air (we understand wasps need somewhere to live)

Roger
FollowupID: 845809

Reply By: Aussie Bush Ghost - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 05:42

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 05:42
Hi,
Really appreciate the advice on the Webasco.

Someone recently reported the exhaust blocked by wasps nest, together with the water tanks overflow.

We have had the same problem and were surprised to find the wasps nest in the actual muffler irself (right up in the muffler via the tail pipe)

No way would the heater start.

We added a stainless “filter” to the end of the tail pipe which is just fine enough to stop the wasps (I hope) but with about 3-4 times the air passing surface than the area of the air pipe. Hopefully, that fixes that problem.

AussieBushGhost
AnswerID: 568484

Our Sponsors