TIP # 101 Ford Auto Transmission Fluid Recommendations for Heavy Towing...

Submitted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 20:40
ThreadID: 122656 Views:5858 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have had a few requests on this and: Per my Tip # 29 on “Saving Your Automatic Tranmission”, the key is Synthetic oils have a higher boiling point than the mineral oils. I was talking then about Transmax Z, which besides taking harder work and higher temperatures it has what they call more “Surface Tension” meaning it sticks to the material faces under load better. Well it is now on their Website at www.castrol.com.au and click on the “Lube Guide” and go to make and model and such… Castrol are now recommending the Transmax Z for “Heavy Towing”

Which takes you to:
Site Link

It looks like this: (NOTE 134 AT BOTTOM RECOMMENDING TRANSMAX Z)
Commercial Vehicle, Light /Medium &4x4
F-250 4x4, V-8 Turbo Diesel (2001-2006)

FORD
F250 4x4, 7.3 Litre V8 Turbo Diesel (2001-2006)

Crankcase
CASTROL RX SUPER
A SAE 15W-40, API CH-4/SJ mid ash multigrade detergent diesel engine oil specifically designed to suit the requirements of the latest US heavy duty diesel engines. CASTROL TECTION PLUS
A mid ash SAE 15W-40 multigrade diesel engine oil approved for use by all major European heavy duty truck manufacturers. Also suitable for certain Japanese and most US engines. Meets the tough standards of ACEA E5 and Volvo VDS-3 for wear protection, bore polish and oil consumption control. SAE 15W-40, ACEA: E3, E5, B3, MB 228.3, Volvo VDS-2, VDS-3, API CI-4, MAN 3275, Global DHD-1, Mack EO-M Plus, Cummins CES 20071, 72, 76, 77, 78

Service Refill Capacity: 14.2* Litres (See Note 292)

Manual Transmission

CASTROL TQ DEXRON III
Automatic transmission fluid formulated to the Dexron® III specification. Provides enhanced friction durability, wear performance, oxidation resistance and cold temperature fluidity. May be used in all vehicles where Dexron® fluids are recommended.

Service Refill Capacity: 5.5 Litres (See Note 134)

Automatic Transmission

CASTROL TQ DEXRON III
Automatic transmission fluid formulated to the Dexron® III specification. Provides enhanced friction durability, wear performance, oxidation resistance and cold temperature fluidity. May be used in all vehicles where Dexron® fluids are recommended.

Service Refill Capacity: 16.7 Litres (See Note 134, 13)

Differential

CASTROL SAF-XA
Full synthetic rear axle fluid incorporating Castrol's most advanced transmission fluid technology. Engineered to provide protection at the extremes of high and low operating temperatures, it is our prime recommendation for rear axles used in competition, severe duty and long drain applications. Suitable for both limited and non-limited slip rear axles. SAE 75W/140,API GL6

Service Refill Capacity: 3.3 Litres (See Note 15)

Power Steering

CASTROL PS FLUID
A mineral based fluid suitable for most power steering systems where the following specifications are nominated: Dexron®, Dexron® II & Dexron® III, SAE 10W or 10W-20 engine oil, ISO 32 or 46 hydraulic oil, Ford M2C-33 F/G, Ford M2C-138 CJ, Ford M2C-166H, Ford Mercon, Ford SQM-2C-9010A and Mitsubishi Power Steering Fluid.

(See Note 302)

4WD Transfer

CASTROL TQ DEXRON III
Service Refill Capacity: 1.9 Litres

4WD Differential

CASTROL SYNTRAX 75W/90
Full synthetic manual transmission, transaxle and rear axle lubricant with outstanding extreme pressure, synchroniser and high temperature performance. Recommended for vehicles that combine gearbox and hypoid differentials, rear axles of light cars and secondary drive axles (front and rear) of 4WD vehicles. SAE 75W/90, API GL5.

Service Refill Capacity: 1.8 Litres (See Note 225)

Notes
* Includes Oil Filter
13 Dry fill capacity shown, fill only to full mark.
15 Rear differential.
134 For heavy duty or towing applications use CASTROL TRANSMAX Z.
225 Manufacturer recommends a 75W-90 gear oil meeting Ford Spec. No. WSP-M2C201A.
292 May also use CASTROL ENDURON S.
302 May also use CASTROL TRANSMAX M, CASTROL TQF or CASTROL TQ DEXRON III.

"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 17:56

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 17:56
Post Script,
Another reliable Source came through from my research and says (per above as well) that Transmax Z is also better for the Manual Transmissions... My research was regarding what to do with the Transfer Case??? Not listed above for Transmax Z, but I have been told it is better for that as well... I have been running it is Toyotas for years as well, for all the same reasons.

Evidently the main advantage is a much higher boiling point for the autos, but it also has this "Increased Surface Tension" and what that means is not a viscosity thing, but more like a clinging and coating effect to provide a better barrier between the metal of the gears, basically better on the lubrication end. Whether it is worth the expense to put it in the TC as well is debatable, but definitely a plus for the transmissions...

Regards, LR

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 568503

Reply By: Maximus - Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 02:21

Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 02:21
Steve

Great info. Thanks. I use Castrol RX Super. Only cost me $79.00 for 20L which I thought was good.
Re the Castrol Transmax Z. Is it the same spec. as what Ford recommend.

Cheers
AnswerID: 568504

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Monday, May 15, 2006 at 18:39

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 18:39
Ford recommends it now for extreme towing work here in Oz... It exceeds the spec in every way, better "surface tension" and much better temperature tolerance... As I have said, it is heat that kills automatic transmissions. As soon as the oil boils it foams and loses its lubrication and cooling function and the trans will munch itself in short order. Transmax Z has a much higher boiling point as well as better properties...

Regards, Ranger..

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 845825

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Monday, May 15, 2006 at 03:27

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 03:27
If you have your Ford serviced by a dealer, make sure you check the colour of the fluid yourself, as My F250 has now clocked up 145,000 km and Ford dealers have NEVER said the transmission fuild required changing and they have done most of the services at various places throughout Australia. The only time it was changed until we did it ourselves recently, was in Broome where a NON Ford service was performed and they said it could do with changing. And then it wasn't done properly, as they drained out the sump only.

The sump holds nearly 5 litres but the whole transmission holds over 16 litres and that can apparently only be drained out by undoing one of the transmission pipes and pumping it all out of the torque converter and all the other places that it is used.

I smile to myself every time I see the Ford Service add where the supervisor has some liquid in a glass jar and says that the fluid shows him it is a 1000 km or similar overdue for a service.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 568505

Our Sponsors