Stezlecki, Birdville & Unadatta Tracks

Submitted: Monday, May 29, 2006 at 05:19
ThreadID: 122702 Views:5518 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Need to know if anyone has been down these tracks with their Bushtracker, we are planning out next trip & this is the way that we would like to go, so we would like to know if it is OK with the F250 & bushtracker in tow.
Thanks Helen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motley - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 05:33

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 05:33
Have done all three within last 3 years towing a 20ft Bushtracker. At the right speeds, you will have no problems.

On caution - we had a rock blow our plug connector apart on the Birdsville Track, rendering caravan brakes inoperative. Next time around I would wrap some 10mm rubber around the connector and wire it on. Also consider stone guards for shock absorbers.
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 568605

Reply By: Paul and Barb - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 19:15

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 19:15
Hi Helen,
We've done the Birdsville track and halfway up the Oodnadatta track, Maree to William Creek where we turned off to Coober Pedy. No problems at all, the only thing that will stop you is rain.

Paul
AnswerID: 568606

Reply By: Bushtracker - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 20:45

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 20:45
Hello Helen!
The Lone Ranger and Company, would consider those tracks pretty much of a hiway for Bushtracker....... Only the normal precautions apply if you catch them in severe corrugation, lower tyre pressure and slowing down.. Standard stuff...

On the trip particular... I too have been the back way out of William Creek to Coober Pedy, and suggest it is one of my favorite and interesting runs... The last time through, there were mud bogs about 20 metres long now and then, that took a little run at with diff locks engaged, but no real dramas. Just don't try it after a really big wet time...
My only problem was towing through the German Tourists in their Volvo with a snatch strap behind my Bushtracker van, that we found stranded about half way. Pretty messy, as it did not have the ground clearance and muddy water belched up over the bonnet onto the windscreen. Then it was near hysterical when they left the windows open on one run. They were also in and out of the Volvo at each one, up to their knees in mud... Ha! poor volvo.... But it would have made a great hysterically funny video. Them and Volvo covered in mud inside and out, they finally gave up and decided to camp until it dried out and I did not have to tow them all the way to CP... Funny, funny... I don't know what they did about all the mud, as there was no way to wash them and the Volvo off... Ha!

Regards, LR
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 568607

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 08:44

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 08:44
In March this year the OLD Strzeleckie track was much smoother than the new section around the Moomba area. The Oodnadatta track was also reasonably good so long as you travel at a speed suitable to the conditions.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 568608

Reply By: Jaunty Jordans - Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 09:02

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 09:02
Hi Helen,
We do the run from Darwin to Adelaide every June/July and Dec/Jan to see children. Always travel back up the Oodnadatta Track and a couple of times have travelled down the Oodnadatta and then across to Birdsville and up into Queensland when the youngest was attending school in Townsville. All done with 18'BT behind us. We don't like crowds and the boy reckons he bought the "bloody van in order to keep me happy because he wants to get off the bitumen".
We used to do these trips with a rooftop tent, still got the tent if the going gets really tough!!
You won't have any problems if you take it easy and seek advice as you go.Look out for some great bush camping spotsthat will getyou right off the road and away from the dust.
Prue
AnswerID: 568609

Reply By: Toomelah - Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 23:36

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 23:36
We travelled through that area with our first BT about three years ago. It was dry then as it probably is now except for one storm that closed the eastern end of the Oodnadatta and the Borefield track north from Roxby Downs. We also went from Oodnadatta up to Dalhousie Springs and Mount Dare then through to Finke. The roughest part was from where we turned off the Strzelecki south of Monte Collina Bore and through to Balcanoona (have I spelt that right?) on the way to Arkaroola.

But all of it manageable with reasonable care. Loved the whole trip

Clive and Evelyn
AnswerID: 568610

Reply By: Boystoy - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 08:33

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 08:33
Hi Helen,
Latest info on the Oodnadatta track, travelled in the last couple of days, is its in great condition vety few minor corrugations from Maree as far as William Creek.We've gone to Coober Pedy today to restock before Oodnadatta via the Painted Desert, then to Dalhousie & Finke etc.

We have found all of the roads through the Flinders & Gammon ranges are excellent at present. Took the BT Chambers Gorge in the Flinders. Good camping.

Also on camp sites, if you are going to Lake Eyre South via Maree, theres a great camp site at Muloorina water hole, about 50km from Maree.(leave the BT at Muloorina if continuing to Lake eyre)

Another site worth visiting on the way to Coober Pedy is Lake Cadibarrawirracanna, about 100km from Coober Pedy, and about 6km off the track.Didn't camp there, just for lunch, very picturesque.

Regards other road conditions, last night at William Creek Pub (great place) had conversation with local cop. Reports all roads in this area from William Creek, up to Mt Dare, and out to Marla in good condition. (provided they stay dry)

Enjoy the trip (we are)

Neil & Pat
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

AnswerID: 568611

Our Sponsors