Overweight F250's

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 04:34
ThreadID: 122714 Views:4889 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We have a F350, Nov 99 build and converted by RMC Melbourne in Feb 2000.

On recent posts I notice members worried about going overweight with the F250's. I noticed on the Superduty forum they believe the only difference between a F250 & F350, apart from the badges were 4" blocks beneath the rear spring rather than 2" blocks on the F250's. Hence, the F350's ride a little higher in the tail with extra travel in the suspension allowing the increase in load of 1100lbs.
Perhaps the the 4" blocks and an Engineer certificate maybe a way of bringing the F250 up to F350 specs.

I'm mystified why Ford didn't build the Brazilian 250's as 350's, virtually no extra cost and 1100lbs more load.

Perhaps I have missed something?
Regards, Nick
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 19:55

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 19:55
Hello Nick,
Yes you may have missed a few little things... I have an F-250, and I used to have my older F-350 which you may or may not have seen. But anyway, on the Real F-350, the springs are much heavier and the rear diff is actually larger on the American Commercial F-350, as well as larger brakes... No they are not just blocked up... I think there are some ones here that look like that is just rebadged as F-350s but not a real 350....

The real F-350 usually has a Dana 80 sized diff and the Dana 60 sized in the F-250. They are not really Dana, they are Ford, but similiar in size.. 10 1/2 inch Ring Gear Ford Diff. Any way, the Brazilian Factory was an attempt to get the right hand drive units built with cheaper labour and American parts shipped there. No telling what they are going to do next time.

In saying all of this, you should be able to get an upgrade to GVM, with just larger spring packs or air-bag assist like mine has, from any sympathetic Truck Builder in Queensland. Just don't take no for an answer, try another one. I have seen about six of the 90 or so Fords towing Bushtrackers, with full spring pack replacements in high lift larger leaf spring sets, and the Modification Plates on the door. Just find the right Truck/Bus/trailer/body Builder and they will OK the larger springs and affix the plate...

"Perseverance Furthers" (I-Ching famous line).... Regards, Ranger
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 568649

Our Sponsors