ac & generators

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 02:51
ThreadID: 122716 Views:5561 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
hi all
its well documented that the honda 2.0 will start & run the ac on a bt but a couple of threads have hinted that they stuggle in hotter climates any feedback very welcome thanks
Stephen & Deborah

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 05:00

Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 05:00
We only used ours with the air con a few times January last year, and it 'tripped' the overload i think on two occasions. On restarting (which reset the genny) it then worked fine. We didn't use anything else on it at the same time. When we bought it, we asked the shop about running two in tandem or a larger genny, and the proprietor assured us it was entirely unnecessary; the Honda 2 is ample for running the air con.

Other may have different experiences - but almost everyone who uses a genny for their air con seems to think they are the unit to have. They are also lightweight, very quiet and easy to start. We have camped near people using them and when inside didn't even know they were still going. Very different story with some of the bigger or less insulated ones.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

AnswerID: 568653

Reply By: Maximus - Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 21:51

Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 21:51
The Honda 2.0 is a great unit. Just remember to chain it up. There are a lot of wild kangaroos out there??
AnswerID: 568654

Reply By: Luvntravln - Thursday, Jun 08, 2006 at 09:31

Thursday, Jun 08, 2006 at 09:31
Hi

Having just spent two months crossing Oz with the Cruisin' Twosome and their Honda 3kw on the draw bar in a box, that is the way I would go next time around.

It is quieter than the 2kw and has the extra power to run the air con and other mod coms at the same time.

Luvntravln
AnswerID: 568655

Follow Up By: Mobi Condo - Thursday, Jun 08, 2006 at 18:44

Thursday, Jun 08, 2006 at 18:44
Howdy Luvntravin,
Re the Honda 3kw unit - was it the Em30 or the EU30is (think the last model number is correct). We are in the process of looking - looking - looking - for such a commodity and thus keep an eagle eye out - particularly on this site for the experienced advice. Just looked on the Honda site to check specs and prices. the EM30 looks good, the Eu30is (?) looks better, but much medication was required when the price of the EU30is (?) was checked! You know "A BEX and a good rest"
But then one gets what one pays for! So when the time comes to procure said commodity there will have to be much medication on hand! Might have to save up all the old tea bags just in case we can't afford even a fresh bag for the cuppa!
Our idea is to have a unit we can use for the BT operations - A/C etc and also if we need ever to earn a quid or do a good deed, then some tools would need power also.
Cheers - Ian & Sally.
FollowupID: 845930

Reply By: Turist - Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 02:07

Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 02:07
We have used our 2 kva in the hottest conditions, handles the air con well. Added the battery charger to the load and no issues at all. Added a 100 watt floodlamp and still all OK
Add the microwave to all that and it trips out.

Last year up in the Gulf one of our members camped with us was feeling the heat and left thier air con and 2 kva running continuously, only stopping to re-fuel.
No problems.

For those interested we did a start load test on the air con and the start up load is 10.8 amps, above the Honda rating but the load is only for a few microseconds. Not sufficient time for the overloads to react.

The air con runs at around 4.6 amps after start up.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

AnswerID: 568656

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 04:02

Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 04:02
We have only had a problem of the 2KvA cutting out, if it was on ecco throttle when the air conditioner was turned on. If we have it running on normal throttle then turn A/C on then we have never had a problem with overloading or running in any temperature conditions, and we would only have the air conditioner going in very hot weather anyway.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 568657

Reply By: Boystoy - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 09:06

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 09:06
Hi Freewheelers,

When we bought our EU20 generator, if we needed more grunt, it was much cheaper to buy a second EU20 running the two in tandem than than the 3kw model. Anyhow we've found the 2kw is adequate for us.

Neil & Pat
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

AnswerID: 568658

Our Sponsors