Low pressure water tip

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 09:27
ThreadID: 122728 Views:5219 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
We originally had a tap fitted to the A frame of our BT. We have since replaced the original tap with a ball-type tap. This now allows us to connect through this tap, low pressure supplies such as gravity feed from bore tanks, and have long luxury showers when off road.

Do not use this connection for town water, otherwise you may finish up with a large bath in the BT.
The BT plumbing is not designed to be connected direct to town mains. You must have the pressure reducing mains inlet for this purpose.

We also have suction line also on the A frame so we can draw water from a bucket if we are camped beside a creek or cannot connect to alternate water supplies.

Keeps us clean away from civilisation, hey we also use our water tanks as well.
but a long shower is preferable to a ten litre shower from the tanks.

Neil & Pat
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Luvntravln - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 19:52

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 19:52
We have the new BT mains water tap on the A frame and it is designed to be connected to mains water. In fact, the pressure reducer is so good that once hooked to mains water even though you turn up the mains tap the water coming out of the sink tap doesn't increase in pressure.

Of course, there is no reason to push the system by being sloppy and turning the mains tap too high.

Luvntravln
AnswerID: 568692

Reply By: Silver and Tinks - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 23:21

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 23:21
we have the BT mains system front and rear the system works great and no longer a need for long hoses

Scott and Jacky
AnswerID: 568693

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 02:48

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 02:48
Hello Boystoy Can you explain how suction line works

"We also have suction line also on the A frame so we can draw water from a bucket if we are camped beside a creek or cannot connect to alternate water supplies. "
AnswerID: 568694

Reply By: Luvntravln - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 05:34

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 05:34
Hi

We too have a suction line. Works just like having another water tank.

There is a valve in our manifold for the suction line on the draw bar; the "suck" comes from the water pump.

We use ours in conjunction with our 150l water bladder and with the two 90l tanks in the F250.

Luvntravln
AnswerID: 568695

Reply By: Boystoy - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 08:42

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 08:42
Hi Peter,

The original tap on the A frame is a conventional washer-type tap. If you try to put water into the tap the water pushes the washer down which closes and prevents water entry.
If you replace this tap with a ball-type tap (you can get these from Bunnings). When turned on the water can now flow in the reverse direction through the tap, and "Presto" you now have water to the vans plumbing from your low pressure source.

The suction line is simple. You take off the last elbow on the manifold & replace it with a tee fitting. Connect a short piece of hose to this Tee and to the elbow you just took off. Connect a tap to the elbow (same as the rest of the manifold & connect a hose to this tap & run to the A frame. You could leave the end of this hose open, but I chose a Stop Valve on the end of the hose to prevent dirt getting in.
Drop this hose into a bucket, turn off all taps on the manifold except the new one youv'e just installed & your ready to run.
A simple mod that is most useful.
Good travelling

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

AnswerID: 568696

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 17:48

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 17:48
Bogger,
The Lone Ranger here,
Must put in two cents worth, as the obvious may not be obvious to some regarding this mod.... OK, fine, but make sure you do not do this and hook up to city water pressure without a pressure reducer... The HWS and pumps, and other things are not designed to take 100 psi, they are made to run at a maximum of about 35-40 psi.... OK? You can also blow hoses off and flood the van. The entire system ONLY is designed to run on low pressure. You could use this modification filling by gravity from a rain water tank or something, or pump it in with the same kind of low pressure pump... Just not from a city water hookup...

OK, I'll shut up now, and go back to my horses..
Regards LR
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 845947

Follow Up By: TroopyTracker - Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 03:28

Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 03:28
Neil,
That sunction line set up sounds great! I wonder how far you could pull water with standard pump?? Probably states some kind of measurement on pump. Will have a look.

Been meaning to set something up for creek/river use and had planned on settin up with separate pump etc. Your method seems much simpler and no extra pump to lug around- Thanks.

Matt
FollowupID: 845948

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 05:26

Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 05:26
Hi Matt,
Not sure what the suction head on the standard pumps are - I expect not huge particulary through a length of standard hosepipe.

I have a simple and cheap 12 volt Wave bilge pump with about 35' of cable and snap lock connectors for hooking onto the water hose. Works well but not huge head - about 7' after going through 10m of water hose. Good for short transfers though.

Anyone know of any cheap/light pumps with a high suction and delivery head?

Cheers John
AnswerID: 568697

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 17:29

Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 17:29
Hello Boggers,

Many use the pump in the van to suck out of a 20 litre bucket, with that suction line on the a-frame. I don't, but others find they like the ability to dip the bucket in the creek and use that water for the showers and such...

One minor note: Personally I am a bit cautious about washing dishes in suspect water... Hepatitis is always a worry, and a final rinse with a jug of boiling water poured over the top relieves that worry a bit. These days, any civilization upstream? Treat the water as suspect... Always...

Happy Trails from the Lone Ranger....

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 845949

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 08:34

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 08:34
The other thing with plumbing that you have to be aware off. The type of plastic piping that BTi use (I think they call it Duct or similar) is NOT available from many plumbing supplies, especially over in WA where a friends van had a damaged fitting and we tried numerous locations around Perth to get parts required. All said that they don't stock it because hardly anyone uses it, they use a similar piping which is similar in housing and stock that.

In our situation, in order to repair the leak without having to wait for BTi to post parts over we had to remove one section out of system and found that 12mm hose fits over the plastic and with a couple of good hose clips withstands the pressure.

Also if you fill your black poly tanks under pressure via suction hose lines, you will blow the tanks apart. It seemed like a good idea at the time, until the big bang.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

FollowupID: 845950

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 19:21

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 19:21
Hello Boggers,

Yes per Brian above: "hardly anyone uses it" and "not available from many plumbing supplies", that is because it is expensive. I am not surprised it is not readily available on the frontier in W.A.

It IS HOWEVER, widely used among caravan builders here where almost all vans are built from Melbourne to the Sunshine Coast. The fittings take hot water really well, where normal hoses can have some problems. It is also very resistant to abrasion, and the fittings expand and contract well with the expansion coefficient of the fittings on the hot water heater and plumbing fittings without leaking. THAT IS WHY WE USE IT... If we were to use the cheap fitting readily available just anywhere, you would have a different set of problems to deal with... Keep in mind, there are usually reasons we do what we do, and they may not be readily apparent. In this case, with the potential of stray current, and dissimiliar metals electrolytic or galvanic corrosion, and the differing expansion of the different plumbing bits we are hooking up to, these fittings have proven to be the BEST, not cheap, just the BEST....

There is a reason we do what we do...
Lone Ranger..

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 845951

Our Sponsors