New BT what's good what's bad

Submitted: Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 05:30
ThreadID: 122742 Views:4089 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Soooo just read somewhere that we do not have reversing lights on our lovely new (to be) BT.
What does the Lone Ranger do without Tonto around?
Can Batman get on without Robyn
or is that Clark Kent without Louis Lane?
Does it make sense to use the 12 pin plug mentioned and fit reversing lights ffom new?
(We have a rear view camera being fitted.)
Did one of the Ranger's tips suggest connecting the outside light to the reversing light circuit? Sounds like a cheap and almost weightless option.

Whilst I am asking "nedwbie" questions here are a few more.

Water tanks. We have 4 ordered split as 2 x 2. The theory here is that drinking water is less easily obtained than shower water and 2 people at 5 litres per day each = 16 days without having to return to civilisation to restock. This assumes that at say 20/30 litres per day shower water = about one week before needing to find a creek or ?---
What have others found? Are my numbers all rubbish?
Does water purification take care of this problem? Who has it and do you use it, or is it a bit of an overkill?

Vacuum flush toilet. We have ordered one in an attempt to keep the centre (over the wheels) toilet as narrow as possible to provide a more open feel. Reading some of The Ranger's comments I am wondering if that is a mistake! Does the disolving toilet paper help?

To invert or not invert that is the question. Of those who have inverters would you do it again? We have chosen not to as I have difficulty in understanding the full use of same. Of those without would you get one next time?

I keep reading the Ranger's comments about less is best and agree with the concept but would hate to leave out some "must have" AND PRACTICAL trick. Let's see what kind of a hornets nest this post stirs up!

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker - Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 22:01

Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 22:01
There are a few things in your Post affected by things:
1) You have not considered
2) Or do not know about
3) Including some things I am not going to release in the Public Forum.... Not some of my R&D that easy, as there are people that copy it for free...

I have some new found inventions for the VacuFlush for instance, TIP # what 109 about my two "Latest Inventions" that make the VF system a plus... Already written.... For example... PLEASE PUT THIS POST ON THE OWNERS FORUM, OK?

No sense making it that easy for one who copy us. I don't like giving it away all that research that easy... Some thrive by copying us, in style and gear..... No more said.

Regards from the Lone Ranger
Semper Fidelis...
AnswerID: 568741

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 06:46

Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 06:46
Interesting post - didn't understand what was bad! Re inverters, we only have a 1200W unit but it is very useful powering the 800W microwave for those many - defrost, reheat, warm-up jobs and many small 240 volt appliances - like computers and printers as well as charging various gizmos and operating an array of other appliances. I wouldn't leave without one.

Water capacity - well it all really a matter of personal preference which will vary with each one of us. I have 4 tanks split 3 and . We can shower quite well in about 5 litres each. We have often run low on mains on extended trips showering every day but have never run low on drinking water. If fact we have to make a concious effort to use it so that the tank can be filled with 'fresh' water. To my mind the only fresh water is rain water. Some of the town supplies are just about undrinkable it is so full of chlorine. On the farm we drank the water from the Ord (upstream of Kununurra) untreated other than double filtering. Beautiful stuff. I would fill my tanks with it anytime. If I was looking at a month away i would pick up a portable bladder that come in all sizes up to about 150 litres. For topping up when not moving the van. We carry 3 or 4 20L buckets with good sealing lids - take up little space as they stack. Those plus three jerries in the back of the cruiser totals 140 litres. I use a small Wave bilge pump to do the transfers, saves humping heavy buckets about.

Don't anything about VF units.

Have fun in the new toy
AnswerID: 568742

Reply By: Bushtracker - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 17:44

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 17:44
All your answers, and my latest research, and two major improvement inventions I made for the VF system, is now Posted on the Owners Forum...

They will steal my hard earned Inventions, Research, and Testing anyways, but why make it easy for them... Ha! Ha!

Lone Ranger, on the Trail

Semper Fidelis
AnswerID: 568743

Reply By: Jaunty Jordans - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 08:43

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 08:43
Hi guys,

We have 4 water tanks configured 3 and 1 and as said above never had any trouble with drinking water. If we run low (only happened once) we have a good quality water filter that we use and the buckets with lids, pump and 40L tank across the back of the Cruiser.
Yes to inverter, on long hauls away from power it is handy to have for the dough mixing for bread machine, (not the cooking process do that in the oven), and using computer.
Remember it is still fun to camp out bush, have a fire and rough it but...a hot shower is really nice and you will stay away longer and go bush moreoften if you smell sweeter or should I say if SWMBO thinks so!!!
But you don't need to go overboard to be comfortable??
What appealed to both of us about the BTs was the simplicity of the layout and decor. If you are after a real off-road van you certainly want to keep everything simple and of the highest quality rather than decorative.
Good luck and enjoy the great outdoors
Prue
AnswerID: 568744

Our Sponsors