punctures

Submitted: Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 22:18
ThreadID: 122748 Views:3966 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
hi all
has anybody come across a product called ULTRASEAL
it a substance that is injected inside the tyre through the valve it stays as a liquid
rolls around & heats up if you get any puncture up to 6 mm dia as the goo escapes it emulsifies & seals the puncture you can still inflate deflate your tyres
cost about $220 for a 100 SERIES
Stephen & Deborah

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 23:02

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 23:02
Ranger been playin' round wit da idea for years....

Available with fibres in it all the way to 12mm punctures of re-bar steel in Bobcat tyres for construction, and bullet proofing tyres for Hostile conditions..

I have tried varieties of it since leaking bicycle tyres living in the marina aboard large yachts since about 1980. Used it recently in the past few years for slow leaking in jockey wheel tyres. I have used it "Flat fix" aerosol versions, that foam and seal in a pressure pack for flats... I have not put it in all tyres but thought about it often. In the past what has held me back is I have heard of two complaints: Balancing problems, you are supposed to drive so long after it is put in to self balance, but it must stay a bit fluid in the heat.. There seems to be some drift of material in the coating process in hot weather????. Also I have heard of complaints of the mess when you change tyres on the tubeless wheels. Maybe it is better in tube type tyres?..

Anyway, thought about it, looked into it, for years. But my research never quite pushed me over the edge, I have always had reservations and instead carried the plug fix push in repair kit; the sort that you goop up the slug with rubber vulcanizing (melting) glue and push into the hole from the outside, trim it off and drive away after re-inflating to correct pressure. If you try it, let me know your long term results. I know it is quite good for low speed off road construction equipment...

Regards, LR
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 568757

Follow Up By:- Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 21:02

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 21:02
I used a similar product in a hand trolley...the Goo destroyed the tubes Peter
FollowupID: 845974

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 21:18

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 21:18
Thanks for that Peter,
Your comment just jogged my memory about another problem I had with it...

Fellow Boggers: Some tiny bit of the sealer got into the valve stems when I was letting air out... It seems to fragment a bit, a little hodge-pog of gummy material and there is some loose bit in it all, and the valves were always prone to slow leakage after that....

In fact, that is probably why I always put a little "spit on the finger" on top of the valve stems when ever I fill or check tyres, to check for micro leakage. Regardless of whether there was anything in the tyres or not, I have found them leaking once in a while.. So have a spit on the finger as a habit... You Ladies that might find this indelicate DON'T! YOU SHOULD DO IT RELIGIOUSLY, as about one in a hundred times I actually find one blowing bubbles and leaking a little..

Ladies, da Lone Ranger sez: Do it when ever you put air in a tyre.. It could save you a flat tyre on a cold rainy night on a back road. As the tyre is loosing air over a few days it goes lower and increases the chance of a failure, and that will only happen on a dark rainy night on a spooky back road... Just when you do not want to be out there changing a tyre.. Ha!

Regards to the Ladies,
LR, always scouting the trail...
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 845975

Our Sponsors