navigation / maps

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 02:41
ThreadID: 122749 Views:3732 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
hi all
at the sydney 4x4 show on the weekend had a long talk / listen (he talked we listened) to the guy from Hema Maps he was very informative gave us lots of demos for non Hema product etc etc
what he did tell us re hema maps is that they are working on a CD package of all thier maps & the 250000 series for all of OZ as a release in 6-8 weeks for around $280
What we are proposing to do is buy a pda with co pilot for city navigation plus ozi
explorer & the above package to getaround the out back
Peoples feed back would be appreciated plus what else do we need
what other packages are available (Rastermaps etc) or do you join Exploroz & down load maps etc as you need it ( i think this option is available but extent unknown)
Stephen & Deborah

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 16:37

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 16:37
Hi Stephen and Deborah,

We have the Natmap Raster Premiem maps 1:250,000 for the whole country on DVD by Geoscience Australia in association with the Federal Government. It now resides on the hard drive and is mainly used for small detail exploration at where ever we are parked. Cost at the Perth Show was only $110. Resolution is very good and it has a full array of functions including a measuring function and satellite photo-maps that are very similiar to Google Earth. There is a CD version, cheaper but lower resoIution.

I believe they are quite easily linked to GPS to give to moving mao displays on the laptop or PDA - check the Exploroz site. But I have never done it. My GPS is almost a museam piece and only occassionaly used for WTFAI functions.

I am sure Hema mob et al are equally as good but I don't know the product.

Cheers John and Jean
AnswerID: 568758

Our Sponsors