New Larger Landcruiser?

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 29, 2006 at 18:45
ThreadID: 122754 Views:4869 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone heard or know anything about Toyota introducing an eight cylinder, inter-cooled turbo-diesel Landcruiser into Australia?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker - Friday, Jun 30, 2006 at 01:31

Friday, Jun 30, 2006 at 01:31
Hello Summer Breeze,

Da Ranger waited all day, 55 viewings, nuttin' .... So I will tell you what I have heard: And this is only in the wind, I have nothing to offer concrete...

Rumours, of something like a 110 Series, V-6 Twin Turbo Diesel.... But nothing in print yet. Who knows when... Toyota is trying to take a headlong jump in the American market to compete with the "Big Three" Dodge Chevrolet Ford, with a large model Toyota Pickup about the same size called the "Tundra". So far I think it is only available with a petrol engine... Looks much the same as the big 3, four door crew cab.

Nothing more yet. Nothing announced, so I think it could be next year, or even longer.
That is all I have heard... LR
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 568783

Reply By: Bow & Nan - Friday, Jun 30, 2006 at 03:12

Friday, Jun 30, 2006 at 03:12
New four door Troopy in February 2007
New Landcruiser in July 2007
No Diesel Landcruisers will come into Australia after November 2006
I was told this late at night by the Local Toyota Dealer, but can you trust a salesman
AnswerID: 568784

Reply By: Summer Breeze - Friday, Jun 30, 2006 at 05:10

Friday, Jun 30, 2006 at 05:10
Thanks to the two replies so far....

Somewhat similar to the rumour I was told... Toyota dealers will admit to nothing afraid that it will kill new sales until any new release. I was told very little by way of a friend of a friend of a friend, if you catch my drift.
I was told that an 8 cylinder intercooled turbo diesel was coming.... No suggestion of when, style of vehicle, towing capacity etc. The comment was made to me by a person that owns two F-250s (both beautiful units) that if Toyota would come out with a vehicle that would approach the specs of his Fords he would love to get a Toyota.
I would love to hear any other rumours etc that others may have heard.
Of course I would really love to hear something a little more concrete if anyone from Toyota Australia would like to dispell all the rumours and give us the "real deal".
AnswerID: 568785

Reply By: Motley - Friday, Jun 30, 2006 at 05:13

Friday, Jun 30, 2006 at 05:13
I heard it will be the 130 Series. With a 4.4L V8 Twin turbo diesel. Due in mid 2007
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 568786

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Friday, Jun 30, 2006 at 17:13

Friday, Jun 30, 2006 at 17:13
Yea, thats it, that jogs my memory, that's the one.... I hope the bring the "Tundra" unit out as well not just the Wagon, so there is a longer wheelbase unit available..... We will have to wait and see... There would be a lot of people towing that would welcome that one. Brisk sales, I would think... LR

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 846005

Reply By: Fosssil - Friday, Jun 30, 2006 at 07:38

Friday, Jun 30, 2006 at 07:38
Have a look here

" target="EOF" class="lbg">www.pbase.com/drexx/image/39909107

fosss

AnswerID: 568787

Follow Up By: Fosssil - Friday, Jun 30, 2006 at 07:45

Friday, Jun 30, 2006 at 07:45
Interesting .....however the info does appear to be more than a year old, and the forecast time has come and gone.

fosss
FollowupID: 846006

Follow Up By: Fosssil - Friday, Jun 30, 2006 at 08:34

Friday, Jun 30, 2006 at 08:34
Don'tcha just wish there was an edit button for this forum...

I feel like a bit of a DH....forgot what year it was...lol

The forecast time has not arrived yet...lol...so we still have some time for it all to happen.

fosss
FollowupID: 846007

Reply By: Flipp'n Lorry - Wednesday, Jul 05, 2006 at 03:46

Wednesday, Jul 05, 2006 at 03:46
For the last 12 months, I have asked my local Toyota Service Manager to keep his ears open for any news on a new Landcruiser model. Today, he told me there is now strong rumour of a a new model to be announced in about 3 months. He does not have any details of engine or other specs, but seems to be confident that it will be a new model, rather than a facelift of the 100 Series.

Let's wait and see.
AnswerID: 568788

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Wednesday, Jul 05, 2006 at 17:48

Wednesday, Jul 05, 2006 at 17:48
It would be really GREAT, if Toyota would bring out the 4 door truck "Tundra" as it would have all the famous Toyota reliability and long life in the American style tow vehicle with a longer wheelbase for safety and leverage towing. In recent years they have been specializing in the exotic luxury city vehicle trends, and it would be nice to see the competitor for the American "Big Three" Ford Dodge and Chevy come out here to Australia.

I just don't know if we will get it in a big diesel... It would compete with their other sales of the luxury 100 Series style wagon that is 97% city sales oriented now, and the Bush Toyota Ute... But as I say, since Ford will not be out for a couple of years, it would sure be good to see the big Toyota "Pickup" out here as the longer wheelbase would be a big bonus for towing Bushtrackers over that 20-21' mark. I think they would do well here, but don't know if we will see them due to Marketing Strategies... We will all have to wait....... What we don't need is a more exotic luxury version, with city 18" wheels and street tyres and loaded with electronics we cannot touch, but I am afraid that is the trend due to the bulk of sales being status urban vehicles... I am hoping Toyota turns that back around with something like the Tundra with a diesel..

Regards, Lone Ranger...

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 846008

Reply By: Fosssil - Wednesday, Jul 05, 2006 at 18:58

Wednesday, Jul 05, 2006 at 18:58
Hi Steve...
That sure would be great to get the Tundra out here....but the article that appeared in the Aussie 4 x 4 mag says that the Tundra and the Sequoia are US only...The link to the article is here.. (also in my post above) " target="EOF" class="lbg">Site Link .use the option of viewing in the original size if the print is too small.

....However, that does not mean that it is true...just a pretty good indication.

fosss
AnswerID: 568789

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Wednesday, Jul 05, 2006 at 19:20

Wednesday, Jul 05, 2006 at 19:20
Oh well Fosss, it is only wishful thinking on my part... I know that.

The trend in Bushtracker vans is that people have been having such a good time, and good lifestyle, that the general trend is towards larger vans. The current Japanese tow vehicles do not have the wheelbase to handle something over 20-21' safely, in a hazard crisis on the highway at 100 kph; and it would be nice to see the longer wheelbase units here in Toyota Country....

You would not bother in the American market, with commonplace Dodge Cummins, and Cheverolet/GMC, and Ford trucks everywhere you look, because in general the larger American diesels get better fuel economy when towing doing big work. The Tundra is a fuel economy unit to take on the "Big 3" for the people that just want the "pickup style" and general transport type of vehicle. But in America, if you were doing big towing you would not bother with the Tundra for the most part, instead sticking with the Big 3. Here, now here where we do not have economical cost efficient access to the Big 3, the Tundra would do well as a tow vehicle... But because of the common use of Tojo Utes and Wagons, I doubt they will bring it in. Too bad...

Regards, LR

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 846009

Reply By: Summer Breeze - Saturday, Jul 08, 2006 at 02:31

Saturday, Jul 08, 2006 at 02:31
I just wanted to thank everyone again for all the interesting and helpful responses to my original posting. It’s been informative, interesting and entertaining to read through all the postings.

I would like to add that today I was given “firm information” from a very reputable, high volume Toyota dealer that stated that there will be a new “Landcruiser 100 or something” series coming out in October 2007. It will be a twin turbo v8 diesel. Its towing capacity is unlikely to be rated over 3500kg (mostly due to tow ball ratings).
I was also told that there will be an upgraded Landcruiser 70 series out in February 2007 also with the twin turbo v8 diesel. It is very, very unlikely that a Tundra or Sequoia model or a vehicle similar will ever be released here in Australia as these are specifically manufactured for the left hand drive American market.

For what it's worth I'm if my information is correct I am disappointed if they failed to upgrade the towing capacity if a similar vehicle available in the USA is capable of towing around 4000kg+. I can't speak with any authority about tow ball ratings etc but I would have thought that their would have been a way around this.

Thanks again,
Summer Breeze.............
AnswerID: 568790

Our Sponsors