Post Deleted

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 04, 2006 at 17:57
ThreadID: 122762 Views:3767 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
There was a post here yesterday asking about water pick up filters.
Can you post it again please.

It was accidently deleted while "managing" (or mismanaging) the site.

I thought it was from Clive but maybe not.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Freewheelers - Tuesday, Jul 04, 2006 at 22:12

Tuesday, Jul 04, 2006 at 22:12
twas us
query was what sort of filters (if any ) do people use on thier suction line when using creek water from a bucket etc for non potable use ???
Stephen & Deborah

AnswerID: 568808

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Tuesday, Jul 04, 2006 at 23:58

Tuesday, Jul 04, 2006 at 23:58
Hello Freewheelers,
Lone Ranger here.... Your water pump has a stainless steel strainer, that takes out everything down to the fine sand level. The problem is that a fine speck of sand can jam up the internal valving just enough to have the pump short cycle every five minutes or so until the speck is blown our. We do not have significant problems with the pump we use, not even maybe 1 in 500, except for this "debris in the valve" leaking down of the system and short cycle on the pump.

In a fast moving stream, the suspended sand in the creek could be a problem. Or if the suction line was too close to the bottom. Better to bucket it out with a 20 litre like you are on track with, let settle and then suck it out of there. Filtration would be OK, but these pumps have a limited suction head, and filtration works better if you pump through it rather than try and suck through it. It would take a long heavy lead and a pump down there at the creek to go through a filter pumping it up to the van... Not sure it is worth the effort, although I have often designed it in my mind. I use 2- 20 litre two handed stainless boiling pots that I carry, that double in use for prawns or mud crab or something I might stumble on.

The short answer is let the water settle a minute and suck out a little ways above the bottom. And the filter on the pump is a simple twist off O-ring sealed unit like a swimming pool pump... Regards, LR
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 846016

Follow Up By: Freewheelers - Wednesday, Jul 05, 2006 at 03:04

Wednesday, Jul 05, 2006 at 03:04
so maybe buy a cheap chinese stainless steel cheese grater ( something to create a space but let in lots of water) & then put a filter sock around it , fix the end of the hose inside the grater & then drop that in the bucket
elevate the bucket to around floor level so the pump doesnt have to work as hard
gypsum will settle out clay in water ,is it safe ??? what else will do this job?
Stephen & Deborah

FollowupID: 846017

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Wednesday, Jul 05, 2006 at 22:53

Wednesday, Jul 05, 2006 at 22:53
Hello Freewheelers,
You say is it safe? Well if you are not going to drink it, anything like that is safe just for showers... Gypsum if it works...

As to mechanical: Pump will do fine on anything sort of less than and meter of head to suck up.. How else to do it??? ( Your questions )....

The problem is with that white coffee sort of water somewhere like the Diamontina…. Channel country sort of place, it just does not settle out, the colloidal clay is in solution… The Lone Ranger worked out a system years ago to try and get it out of the water… I was going to get silly with high pressure ceramic cleanable filtration from one 20 litre bucket to another at the van location with a separate pump and portable filter. I abandoned the idea as too expensive to bother for most. We are not that desperate for water in the outback… Yet anyway… Not sure it is practical to bother unless you were on a specific opal site or gold site and had no choices.

Regards, LR

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 846018

Reply By: Turist - Tuesday, Jul 04, 2006 at 23:34

Tuesday, Jul 04, 2006 at 23:34
When using creek water or dam water we decant the water into translucent 20lt jerry cans.
After the sediment has settled then place the suction pipe above the sediment level.

There are foot valve/filters and in line filters available from marine shops but clay and mud in suspension passes through, only good for particles.

A tiny bit of alum (aluminium sulphate) (or ahloominum for Steve) settles the clay more quickly.
Commonly used in water tanks where the property is drawing river water.

Now to press the correct button this time.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 568809

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Tuesday, Jul 04, 2006 at 23:48

Tuesday, Jul 04, 2006 at 23:48
Taking the Mickey out of me again aye? You must own a chevy...

OK for shower water.... One objection,
I know I don't want any aluminum derivatives in the water, or aluminum (aluminium in oz) cooking utensils, for that matter... With 1000 % more aluminum in the brains of Alzheimer’s Patients, I don't want to give it more ammunition. Doesn't matter whether the chicken or the egg is first, whether the Alzheimer's disease aggravates genetic structure that collects the aluminum, or the aluminum accumulation that causes the Alzheimer’s... I would not add anything to water I was running through my Sterilizer that I might consume.... Get a reasonably clear source of water to make good drinking water out of...

What was my name again, Oh yeah, LR

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 846019

Reply By: Turist - Wednesday, Jul 05, 2006 at 03:30

Wednesday, Jul 05, 2006 at 03:30
I did have another idea for drawing dirty water, havn't got around to it yet.

Fit a hose fitting to both openings of a 20 litre plastic jerry. Bulkhead type fitting where hose can be fitted on both sides of a panel. Insert them in the drum caps. Must be vacuum tight.
Hose from creek comes in one hose, water to pump goes out other.
Fit a bit of stocking over inlet hose end and leave it only part way into jerry.
Hose to pump to pick up around 1/2 way down.

Theory is that stocking catches most, mud settles in bottom, cleaner water drawn off top.

may work, one day I may try it..

Bob
"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 568810

Our Sponsors