West Coast Weigh Bridge in Geraldton

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 06, 2006 at 19:43
ThreadID: 122767 Views:6722 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
While in Geraldton WA I came across a Public Weigh Bridge that is situated on the highway just north of the town centre and beside the only Caravan Sales/Repair yard in the town.

The weigh bridge is one that allows the user to park a set of wheels on the bridge and then read the guage yourself. I used it to weigh the vehicle empty then connected up the caravan and re-weighed the vehicle and the caravan.

It was interesting to see how placing a 300kg load on the tow bar reduced the weight on the front wheels, and how by adjusting the WDH this can be moved back to the front axle and then with further adjustment can be used so that the load on the tow bar is distributed over both vehicle axles.

Anyone travelling the West Coast can access this weigh bridge by turning off the highway at the road next to the Caravan Centre and then turning left to drive around their Centre and into the lane leading to the Weigh Bridge.

When we met up with 3 other BT's in Geraldton, they all came with me and used the weigh bridge to check out their axle weights.

Others may know the location of similar FREE weigh bridges throughout the country that fellow caravaners can use.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker - Thursday, Jul 06, 2006 at 20:21

Thursday, Jul 06, 2006 at 20:21
Boggers, Yes!

It is a good idea to use the Weigh Bridges once in a while to check how you are going. Even if not free, most pay for use ones I have gone to are only the price of a hamburger or two. Some travel a bit heavy even with the accumulated toys they are carrying in the tow vehicles and could run over the GVM. It is a good reality check for your loading and balance, and most Weigh Bridges I have seen are running the $10 to $12 range..

Good idea, LR
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 568816

Reply By: Jimarie - Sunday, Jul 09, 2006 at 03:08

Sunday, Jul 09, 2006 at 03:08
Fellow Vanners,
There is a "free to use" weigh bridge on the northern side of Alice Springs at the MVR (Motor Vehicle Registry). Just don't use it during normal Govt. business hours, because if you go over your legal weight limits while they are watching, you will get pinged.
Jim
AnswerID: 568817

Our Sponsors