WABASTO HEATERS

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 12, 2006 at 06:13
ThreadID: 122777 Views:4640 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
As we have a new BT ordered, we cant decide weather to put the Wabasto heater in.Do other owners have any advice on weather it is needed travelling throughout the country.
Donmar.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Paul and Barb - Wednesday, Jul 12, 2006 at 07:20

Wednesday, Jul 12, 2006 at 07:20
Don & Maree,

Don't even think twice about it, order one. The heaters are great and very economical to run, it can still get to below freezing in the outback at night.

We don't even have to get out of bed in the mornings to turn ours on, the control is next to the bed.

Regards,

Paul.
AnswerID: 568842

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Wednesday, Jul 12, 2006 at 10:19

Wednesday, Jul 12, 2006 at 10:19
They sound wonderful, and if we were buying new, we would have one fitted, with dual venting to the en suite. In our travels so far, we have not needed a heater in the caravan - it really keeps warm, but I'm sure we would use it if we had a webasto.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 568843

Reply By: Flipp'n Lorry - Wednesday, Jul 12, 2006 at 16:51

Wednesday, Jul 12, 2006 at 16:51
We have just taken delivery of our 2nd BT - this one has a Webasto, whereas the previous didn't.

The Webasto is great, and we went to the New England Tablelands in winter which we may not have otherwise. Even when on power, we prefer the Webasto to the aircond heater, as it is a gentler heater and much quieter.
AnswerID: 568844

Reply By: Spirit Gypsys - Thursday, Jul 13, 2006 at 07:37

Thursday, Jul 13, 2006 at 07:37
Our Advice, They aren't cheap but it's the best money we've spent, (Having one fitted to a pre loved van)
we got an outlet put in the ensuite too and it makes the best drying cupboard.
it's surprising how much can be hung in there.
We've been turning it back to low,(about the 10 o'clock) all night then up to 1 o'c in the morning when i go to work at 7 am.
20l of diesel lasts about a week
here in Pittsworth 40 klm west of Toowoomba it's been down to at least -5 regularly and we stay oh so cuddly warm.
Wouldn't be without it!
AnswerID: 568845

Follow Up By:- Thursday, Jul 13, 2006 at 17:44

Thursday, Jul 13, 2006 at 17:44
20L ???seems a lot of fuel that is in excess of $40 /week based on outback prices
FollowupID: 846043

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Thursday, Jul 13, 2006 at 20:33

Thursday, Jul 13, 2006 at 20:33
Hello Peter, Don't take offence here, but this is a different view to consider...

That $40 a week as expensive??? It might be a perspective, living in civilized surrounds with normal expenses... But OK, $40 a week of diesel???? Sounds reeeaaaall good to the lone Ranger! When I think of the alternatives? What a 300 tonne roll of 300 kilometres of power cord to plug into the nearest outlet.. Ha! Ha! Joke.. Or petrol costs, explosive fuel, and 60 hours a week of wear and tear on a generator for heat out of the AC unit??? Yea, don't think so... Or how about a pot bellied stove and hardwood firewood... With all the fire hazard and gas on board? Naw... Don't think so... So what alternative?????

There is none for quality of life.. So, when the grass is crunchy with frost down south next week for the Nationals in Reining Horses, that I am leaving for soon; when you can see your breath and it is frosty as soon as the sun goes down.... When the alternative is shivering and going into shock to get up in the morning with those cold bloody clothes..... Legs aching a bit in cold over breakfast??? I don't know, $40 a week in diesel sound REAL GOOD to the lone Ranger...

Someone young can put up with the cold, and can suffer a bit if they like, but once you get over a half a century of wear and tear and leaning on being a Pensioner like me, the warm quality lifestyle counts for something!! And to me? It counts for A LOT! For that quality in the dead cold 6-8 weeks of winter $40 a week sounds DEAD CHEAP!!! 20 litres of diesel sounds real good to me, real cheap..!

Regards, LR

"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 846044

Follow Up By:- Friday, Jul 14, 2006 at 01:10

Friday, Jul 14, 2006 at 01:10
Idont take offence i was under the impression that webs used not a lot of dieso suppose it all depends on how long it is running $40 is worth it to keep warm

you a pensioner bollocks not when u own bushtracker
FollowupID: 846045

Reply By: Bushtracker - Thursday, Jul 13, 2006 at 17:36

Thursday, Jul 13, 2006 at 17:36
Don and Maree,
Here is a "Rule of Thumb" from the Ranger of two categories people fit into:

On a bit of a budget, or only short trip travel with the good seasons? You can easily do without it, particularly if you are not going cold places or travel in the dead of winter...

Not on much of a budget if it enhances your quality of life? Or possibly traveling all seasons and in colder areas, or in the Outback in the dead of winter? Or living in the van year around as a Lifestyle, and independent away from power? Yes, it is really nice, and I would not be without mine. Clean, quiet, efficient, safe, it is the way to go...

Money well spent, with no regrets, only snug warm lifestyle...

Regards, LR
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 568846

Reply By: Oldperc - Thursday, Jul 13, 2006 at 20:44

Thursday, Jul 13, 2006 at 20:44
Don
We normally travel north during the cooler months but have just returned from the Borossa via the centre.
Could nights and infact we had nights when it was 1.5c in the van and 2.7c in the fridge.
Considered opening the fridge to warm up the van!!!!!
Thank goodness its not cold all day.
Still, we have our BT #2 on order and we will fit the wabasto for comfort for those times when its cold or you just want to dry out the van interior (remember the summers down south can be bloody cold!!!.)
At the end of the day these options add value to your van when you come to sell and you have had the comfort while owning the unit
Regards
David
David and Ann
'I'am so proud of you poppa'

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 568847

Reply By: Tassie Bushies - Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 03:36

Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 03:36
Hi Don & Maree.
Yes just do it, you will not regret it.
Even out here in the Sapphire fields in Queensland we sometimes use it at night for a while.
It's great when showering.
Regards Peter.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 568848

Reply By: Jaunty Jordans - Monday, Jul 24, 2006 at 06:59

Monday, Jul 24, 2006 at 06:59
Hi Don and Maree,
No question just get it.
Husband is into outdoor recreation as a living so he is built tough BUT... he wouldn't give up the Webasto without a fight. Just returned from Adelaide (coldest winter for 50+ years) and yes I know we Terry Taurians are big sissys when the temperature drops below 25 but we had the heater going every night until Daly Waters. An outlet in the ensuite is a must if you want dry warm towels after your shower or to dry off clothes in the snow country.
I think hubby's comment about never having to sit on a cold loo seat if you own a BT with a Webasto (made to a so called offroad vanner who thought we had spent far too much money) was close to priceless and not another word was said!!!
Is $40 per week too much to spend to be comfortable? Not on your life, if you are cold and miserable you won't want to go anywhere anyway.
Prue
AnswerID: 568849

Our Sponsors