webasto heaters

Submitted: Friday, Jul 14, 2006 at 01:41
ThreadID: 122782 Views:4847 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
I am curious as to what people do with regards to the webasto heaters and long periods of Non use, particuarly the diesel issues of "going off" if thats the correct wording ??
Regards
Kimbo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Keith & Joan - Friday, Jul 14, 2006 at 03:05

Friday, Jul 14, 2006 at 03:05
Hi Kimbo, I have stored my Bt out in the open for the last 12 months, and the Webasto fuel tank was left full. I too was worried about unwanted "growths" in my diesel fuel, and I read a posting on the BOG site from Steve, that says to add some kerosine to the diesel to prevent this from happening. I took a sample from the tank with a long piece of clear plastic hose, expecting it to come out all green and slimy, but to my surprise, it was as clear as daylight. I think the trick here is to keep the tank full, to exclude as much air as possible, and the tank being black keeps the daylight, and sunshine in particular from reaching the fuel. We have just returned from three weeks touring, and we used the Webasto on several occasions and it worked perfectly. However, the Bt will now be stored again for some considerable time, as my wife has to have spinal surgery very soon, so I will take Steve's advice and add some kero to the tank before putting it to "Bed' for a few months. I will also make sure the tank is left FULL. Maybe you could find Steve's posting to get the Diesel / Kero ratio.
I hope this helps put your mind at rest regarding the diesel issue.
Kind regards, Keith.
AnswerID: 568861

Reply By: Fosssil - Friday, Jul 14, 2006 at 04:30

Friday, Jul 14, 2006 at 04:30
here is a discussion on the topic

Site Link

fosss

AnswerID: 568862

Reply By: Bushtracker - Friday, Jul 14, 2006 at 18:09

Friday, Jul 14, 2006 at 18:09
Hello Kimbo,
I have been playing around with it a bit, and I think I could give you a general rule of thumb... The Kero is a good disinfectant, and a litre or two in a tank when in semi storage or occasional will probably do the trick just fine.... If you have a problem already, it is more like 4 litres to cure it... Of course if the problem is extreme, dump off the bottom inch or two, but I cannot see getting that much condensation in a polyethylene tank. Air exchange on a partially full metal tank will form condensation on the wall that drips down, but this is diminished with the plastic tank to some degree.
And the advice to store ANY diesel tank full is always best, is absolutely correct..

Partial use in winter? A litre or two of kero will do fine for the storage if you do not have a problem, increase that to 4-5 per tank if near freezing but for a different reason of cold Alpine Diesel effect to a few litres... Storage all summer, six months, or longer? It will not hurt it at all to dump in 4 or 5 litres of kero. The system runs just fine on even 50% kero, per my tests, in fact that probably cleans things up a bit... The cost of kero over diesel is probably more efficient than using any other additives on such a small tank... Efficient or just easy... I would run it long enough to get the 25% kero through the system before shutting it down for storage...

lone Ranger don't mind answering any questions, if I have a first hand scientific tested answer, I am happy to be of help. If it is an opinion, I will qualify it first as such.
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 568863

Our Sponsors