Batteries

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 21:32
ThreadID: 122788 Views:3790 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Need advice. In the event of a total collapse of all batteries, which happened to us recently, luckily in a built up area, there was no way to get ANY power inside the van, not for the fridge, not for the water nor lights. Even connecting to a 240V external source: no power.

What would happen really outback, even if you happen to have a generator?? How do you use the fridge or the water??

Any experiences??

Totally (con)fused!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Turist - Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 23:25

Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 23:25
Are you sure that ALL the batteries had gone phut?
If only one battery goes down completely, ie, collapsed cell, broken seperator etc this can affect the entire system and leave you without any power.
We have had this occur.
We located the crook battery and removed it from the circuit and operated on the remaining two.

If you have a 12v connection to an auxillary battery in the tow vehicle you should be able to operate on that.
Once again, the dud battery(s) have to be taken out of the circuit.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 568885

Follow Up By: Falcon - Monday, Jul 17, 2006 at 19:10

Monday, Jul 17, 2006 at 19:10
Thanks, Yep, all were gone.

Where do you connect the lead from the auxilliary battery from the tow vehicle?

Wouldn't the tow vehicle batteries also do the same trick??

Cheers

Falcon
FollowupID: 846057

Follow Up By: Turist - Monday, Jul 17, 2006 at 22:50

Monday, Jul 17, 2006 at 22:50
Falcon there is a heap of good info on this subject on the owners forum.
Why not become a financial member and help us to keep this forum running.

regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

FollowupID: 846058

Reply By: Motley - Monday, Jul 17, 2006 at 02:45

Monday, Jul 17, 2006 at 02:45
Agree with Turist.

Our recent experience was that whilst batteries appeared fully charged after a day in the sun, the minute we applied some load at night, voltage rapidly decayed to <11 volts.

Inspected the batteries and found that the temperature of one battery was significantly higrer than the other 2. Uncoupled that battery and for the rest of the trip we were able to maintain voltage above 12 volts overnight. We did take the added precaution of switching of the fridge at sunset when we were tending to use lights and pumps and then last thing before going to bed we would switch fridge back on again.

Using this technique we were Ok for the rest of the trip (4 weeks)
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

AnswerID: 568886

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Monday, Jul 17, 2006 at 03:05

Monday, Jul 17, 2006 at 03:05
Falcon, couldn't you use the battery charger with the 240 v to restore power? We carry a genny for occasional air conditioner use or power tools in an emergency, and would use it for this should we run out of battery power. Only once has our pro star switched off - last winter parked at the house. After a few dull days and not checking, it switched everything off. We put the charger on with the mains power and all came back to normal. The people we purchased the van from had a similar story when they were travelling. They thought they had a problem so hitched up to drive to the next town, and found that the charge from the car had brought it all back to life.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

AnswerID: 568887

Follow Up By: Falcon - Monday, Jul 17, 2006 at 19:14

Monday, Jul 17, 2006 at 19:14
Thanks,

We couldn't restart the system with 240V attached which should charge the batteries if they were just flat so an external battery charger shouldn't help either.

All 3 batteries had 0.29mV!!

What do you do when this hap[pens outbacxk??

Cheers
Falson
FollowupID: 846059

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Tuesday, Jul 18, 2006 at 09:04

Tuesday, Jul 18, 2006 at 09:04
Falcon, is your battery charger operating OK? There have been a couple of reports of where something has come loose in battery chargers from rough roads causing them not to work.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

FollowupID: 846060

Our Sponsors