Hydraulic levelling systems

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 18, 2006 at 03:35
ThreadID: 122790 Views:4446 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have just ordered my first BT for delivery in March!! Says something about BT"s quality when you have to wait that long. This BT will be my first caravan so everything about vanning is new, including levelling a van at each stop (I plan minimal use of caravan parks). I read in the August edition of Caravan World about an hydraulic levelling system for vans. Is this getting too far away from KISS? Has anyone had experience with it? Is it worth looking at? Your comments appreciated, including you, Lone Ranger.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TroopyTracker - Tuesday, Jul 18, 2006 at 04:02

Tuesday, Jul 18, 2006 at 04:02
Jim,
I looked into these once. They seem expensive for what they do and I think they are only stabilisers not levellers. Just normal wind down legs with a hand pump on front to drive hydraulic arms. They may be beefed up though.

I use jack stands, simple,effective and strong enough to have the wheels in the air if I wanted. $70 new in box for 4 at Caboolture markets. I think the ones BT use welded to the chassis would be more conveniant for quick stops though.

Anyway I wouldn't bother with those other ones. Have heard they can be problematic also-leaks etc. So many seals to go wrong???

Just what I've heard,
Matt
AnswerID: 568890

Reply By: Flipp'n Lorry - Tuesday, Jul 18, 2006 at 07:41

Tuesday, Jul 18, 2006 at 07:41
I agree with keeping it simple - just take a couple of blocks or Camec heavy duty plastic ramps.

The best recommendation I can give you is to get your shower fitted with the double drain hole system (instead of just one hole) - provided that the front of the van is higher than the rear (usually req'd for sleeping properly anyway), your shower is always going to drain properly irrespective of level across the van. A simple idea which makes a huge difference in conveniecne.
AnswerID: 568891

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Wednesday, Jul 19, 2006 at 04:57

Wednesday, Jul 19, 2006 at 04:57
Hi Jimjan,
I agree with the above - keep it simple. It takes no time to scrape a bit of a hollow or chuch a block down on one side. It you want to get fancy get a pair of those bright yellow levelling ramps for about $20 - bit lighter than blocks of wood and they work well with chocks to lock the wheels in place. The latter are quite important so that you don't roll off your levelling device when un-hitching.

You wont regret your decision to buy a Bt - they are the 'ducks nuts' for those of us who enjoy the great outdoors

Cheers Brumblebum and the Dragon
AnswerID: 568892

Reply By: Flipp'n Lorry - Wednesday, Jul 19, 2006 at 17:20

Wednesday, Jul 19, 2006 at 17:20
Never heard of the 'ducks nuts' before - I guess that must be a bit like the 'bees knees'
AnswerID: 568893

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Jul 20, 2006 at 05:15

Thursday, Jul 20, 2006 at 05:15
Site Link

Here is the "ducks guts" in levelling systems
AnswerID: 568894

Follow Up By: TroopyTracker - Thursday, Jul 20, 2006 at 22:48

Thursday, Jul 20, 2006 at 22:48
Peter,
I feel for and was saying to myself, "I didn't know Drydens built caravans" just as that exact sentence popped up on my screen!!

BTW- THAT IS a levelling system!

Matt
FollowupID: 846062

Our Sponsors