Tip # 111 Dometic Euro Window Update…

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 25, 2006 at 18:35
ThreadID: 122814 Views:3655 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Look in all fairness, one of my reservations has been put to rest. The double glazed windows now come tinted.

However, one serious fault remains, besides the average van cost increase of now currently about $800 for those windows… I do not like the screen mechanism or function. First of all it seems a bit fiddly and light in structure and prone to damage and maintenance as the screens spring wind up and down… Secondly, you have to raise the screen up to open or close the windows. Now in Fly country, there will be any number of 30-40 flies on the screen, and what happens when you need to close 7 windows ??? You raise the screen to get at the window and where do the flies go? I can live with the 100 on my back as we brush each other off and make the mad dash for the van, to have to hunt down the half dozen that sneaked in… But hunting down 200??? Does not sound like fun to me.. While they look good, so far they are not in my van… And the doors to match? More expense yet, and they do not have a gas vent, so we have to cut into them to add it on the last one. More problems just to look trendy? I think they do look better in the Shows, but my measure is long term living with them.

I can see the next stage, spray on fly spray on the screens before opening them… That will for sure deteriorate the screens and cause even a bigger Warranty problem… Just not sure I like the design for the fly country.

Still not sure they get my thumbs up yet… Fair analysis from the Ranger. They are available, but I am of two minds as to whether they are worth the bother. Our windows plus curtains drawn will have much the same insulation factor as double glazed… Dunno if it is worth having for the extra cost and hassle? So far not in either Directors vans.

As an example: When napping in hot peak times in Birdsville during the heat of the day in desert deserted Birdsville caravan park with the AC on, curtains drawn with AC on gives the same rough insulation effect and blocks out the light. Your two glass of wine lunch gives you the nap, to go desert exploring early morning or my favorite at night when the critters are moving around. Birdsville area is a near ghost town feel off season in the marginal hotter times. (Just an example I've done, could be Palm Valley, Kings Canyon, anywhere...)

Cold weather at night, light just down in Sydney at the Olympic Equestrian Centre last week with frost, again, curtains drawn at night, same effect. Not sure I would want to change. And I for one like the colour added by the curtains. This is not science, in this case this is just my personal opinion, so take it with a grain of salt... But....

Ranger, doing all the time, with a little practical perspective on things.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bobrovin - Wednesday, Aug 16, 2006 at 08:38

Wednesday, Aug 16, 2006 at 08:38
Has anyone had these windows fitted as yet and if so how have they performed
In particular, do they seal out dust any better than the usual wind out windows
AnswerID: 568950

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Wednesday, Aug 16, 2006 at 16:17

Wednesday, Aug 16, 2006 at 16:17
Bob,
We have put these windows on a number of Bushtracker vans, and the locking handles and big O-ring style seal is the best part of the windows..... I do like that without a doubt....

However, the Galaxy windows we use do not have a dust problem unless they are ruined by improper maintenance and abuse.. The only dust problem is when traveling in the bulldust, if you leave the rear window hinge full of dust and "Help" push it closed when jammed full of bulldust, you then stretch the hinge so that it does not seal any more. This is the only dust problem with the current windows we use, and that is handled with a couple of simple things like a strip of tape across the rear window hinge when in the bulldust, and a few other options.

So, to answer your question, the seal on the Dometic windows looks better, and that is probably the best thing about them, but with proper care the ones we use seal well themselves.

Ranger
FollowupID: 846087

Follow Up By: Bobrovin - Thursday, Aug 17, 2006 at 03:56

Thursday, Aug 17, 2006 at 03:56
Thanks Ranger
We spend 90% of the time in the dirt and these are the 2 things I felt needed to be addressed, so looks like we will go with Dometic

Bob
FollowupID: 846088

Our Sponsors