removing scratches from bushtracker windows.

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 27, 2006 at 02:34
ThreadID: 122815 Views:4780 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know of a way to remove scratches from bushtrackers windows. Took a wrong track. Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker - Thursday, Jul 27, 2006 at 02:38

Thursday, Jul 27, 2006 at 02:38
Hanno,
Lone Ranger here,
And it can be done with a plastic polish and slow buffer or by hand, but I would not bother... Trust me, you are going to get more, don't worry about it....

Maybe do it just once if you decide to sell it, but to worry about it as you travel? You will get your assortment of nicks and dings and scratches... Battle Scars! Wear them proudly!!!!

When you do need to do it, a plastics shop will know how, and there are some stuff to do it by hand, even a thread back aways, you might search it. Or, it is on the Owners Forum.. But if you do it all the time you are in for trouble.
LR..
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 568951

Reply By: Turist - Thursday, Jul 27, 2006 at 03:18

Thursday, Jul 27, 2006 at 03:18
Hello Tony.
I take it from this message that you managed to obtain a Bushtracker.
If so then please go to your "My Home" and update your rig profile.
It still shows that you are looking for one.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 568952

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Thursday, Jul 27, 2006 at 11:18

Thursday, Jul 27, 2006 at 11:18
I agree with da Ranger - your BT will be proud to show off it's scratches and brag about where it has been.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 568953

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Jul 27, 2006 at 23:12

Thursday, Jul 27, 2006 at 23:12
toothpaste
AnswerID: 568954

Reply By: Bushtracker - Friday, Jul 28, 2006 at 02:33

Friday, Jul 28, 2006 at 02:33
Look Hanno,
Lone Ranger had time this afternoon, so did a search on the Members Forum for the words Scratches and Windows as I remembered that there was some Fighter Cockpit window scratch polish someone was talking about....

Here are two from the Owners Forum that have done it with these products: The words scratches and windows are capitalized by the search program...

Here Goes, but I can assure you it pays to become a Financial Member of the Owners Forum, not a cent goes to Bushtracker, this is a Private Organization, and what ever minor cost it is to join, I can assure you it will be the best value for money you ever will get for the Bushtracker Lifestyle...

Courtesy of "Turist" and " RHJ41" or something like that from memory...

For the deeper SCRATCHES a light polishing with brasso will usually do the trick. Really deep ones are there to stay unfortunately.

Then follow up with an all over polish with Mothers Plastic Polish. (From auto parts shops) Do the inside wth the Mothers as well if you are feeling energetic, makes the surface much easier to clean in future.
The Mothers treatment will help repel dust and rain and make your WINDOWs look nice and shiny.

The Mothers is also very good for the plastics in the ensuite, washbasin, mirror and toilet bowl.

Even though we rough it a lot with our van I do like to keep it looking as close to new as possible.

Courtesy RHJ41 or something like that from memory... On Aircraft like the FA 18 they use a product called Plexis. You can get this from motor cycle shops where they sell it for cleaning windscreens. It is now a standard part of my gear and it certainly takes off the type of SCRATCHES you are talking about. It is a spray can and the complete instructions are on the can.
Costs about $20 and is a good investment.

Plexus, sorry I got the spelling wrong!

Funnily enough it is made for BTI Chemical Co. in Oak Park, California, USA.

It is a spray on wipe-off cleaner and polisher and you only need a little extra elbow grease to remove SCRATCHES....."shake can, spray on lightly, wipe off and buff (the SCRATCHES) with a (soft) clean cloth....do not use paper towels"

Steve, with your forensic ability, you may be able to find out if this is what your cleaning company uses for the work that is done on damaged BT WINDOWs. My guess is that they use Plexus and controlled buffing.

Best Regards Hanno, Service with a smile from the Lone Ranger....

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 568955

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Friday, Jul 28, 2006 at 02:34

Friday, Jul 28, 2006 at 02:34
Oh and Hanno, my advice still holds, don't bother unless you are going to sell it, wear it proudly....

LR

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 846089

Reply By: NIK `N` OFF - Saturday, Jul 29, 2006 at 05:49

Saturday, Jul 29, 2006 at 05:49
Have used plexus with great results on our boats plastic clears.

Thumbs up!

Cheers
M&V
Niknoff
AnswerID: 568956

Reply By: Oldperc - Wednesday, Aug 02, 2006 at 00:57

Wednesday, Aug 02, 2006 at 00:57
Hanno
In the meantime you could just give the windows a touch up with any car polish.
Low cost interim measure.
David
David and Ann
'I'am so proud of you poppa'

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 568957

Our Sponsors