Cape York - Development Road

Submitted: Friday, Jul 28, 2006 at 06:03
ThreadID: 122816 Views:4028 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
If you are thinking of taking your BT to the cape, the Development Road is currently as smooth as a billiard table, locals reckon it is the best it has been for 20 years.
Regards
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Wednesday, Aug 09, 2006 at 02:55

Wednesday, Aug 09, 2006 at 02:55
Got back from the Cape last week. Yes, the development road from Coen to Weipa was excellent. But beware, things can change rapidly. Going northbound around June 20-25 the road between Musgrave and Coen was very ordinary yet on the way south around July 15 it was much better. They were working on the section between Laura and Musgrave, but the last 20 into Laura, and first 10 south of Laura were absolute horrors!! Both the southern and northern by-pass roads were pretty good both ways but there were some soft sandy patches. From Jardine to Siesia was good both ways. We went up via Daintree-Bloomfield-Battlecamp, but the road from Kalpower to Musgrave was closed (Opened 27 June).

One thing to have in mind when driving these roads is every dip and floodway is 40km/h maximum if dry. Otherwise it is full of water. Never assume you can drive through at speed. We got caught when No. 5 in a convoy. Dust affected visibility...dip was 20km/h and we hit it at nearly 50km/h....Result broke 5 leaves of nearside spring. 6 days to get replacement in. Had to catch barramundi at Kalpower Crossing while we waited.

Apart from that, we had a great trip. No other problems with the van or gear.

Cheers........Rob
AnswerID: 568958

Reply By: Kingy - Wednesday, Aug 09, 2006 at 19:29

Wednesday, Aug 09, 2006 at 19:29
We are going to head up that way in September with another BT and as all of us enjoy a drink or two, what does one do with the beer and wine supplies when you get to the Jardine River given that we will only be two weeks into a 4 week trip. Suggestions anyone....??
AnswerID: 568959

Follow Up By: Turist - Wednesday, Aug 09, 2006 at 22:31

Wednesday, Aug 09, 2006 at 22:31
MMmmmm, having given due consideration to your cunundrum I have the answer.

Your problem occurs in September.
The Copeton Rally is in September.
There will be many honest and trustworthy fellow Boggers at Copeton.
So send the grog to Copeton, we will look after it for you.
I am sure that you can place your trust in fellow Boggers.

Regards
Bob

"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 846090

Follow Up By: Kingy - Wednesday, Aug 09, 2006 at 22:46

Wednesday, Aug 09, 2006 at 22:46
Probably about as much as I can trust the Jardine Ferry driver to look after the booze...
FollowupID: 846091

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Wednesday, Aug 16, 2006 at 18:25

Wednesday, Aug 16, 2006 at 18:25
Grog,

There was no inspection, no questions.....just be a responsible consumer and don't leave empties visible around your camp.

Cheers........Rob
AnswerID: 568960

Follow Up By: Kingy - Wednesday, Aug 16, 2006 at 18:48

Wednesday, Aug 16, 2006 at 18:48
Thanks for the reply Rob... Given the massive fines and threat of confiscation of vehicles etc, I didn't think it would be worth the risk... I might look at leaving the BT somewhere safe south of the river and tenting it for a few days to the top..
Cheers
Peter
FollowupID: 846092

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Saturday, Aug 19, 2006 at 02:58

Saturday, Aug 19, 2006 at 02:58
Pete,

I woudn't leave the van south of the ferry....security could be a problem. It only costs $11 extra to take the van over ($99 with & $88 without.... that's return).

You can take 24 cans of XXXXGold and 2 litres of wine in. Then you can buy the same each day if you wish...at Siesia Shop, Bamaga or Punsand Bay. The rule only applies to what you can TAKE IN.

The road to Siesia is good, Loyalty Beach Camp is perfect, and you can then do day trips to Punsand and The Tip, Sommerset (Anti-clockwise loop), Thursday/Horn Island Ferry(Recommended), and Plane wrecks/Jardine Mouth. That's 4 day trips. Add a rest day or two, and at least a day's fishing and a week would be ample for north of the Jardine.

Stay a couple of nights at the tour bus sites at Elliot Falls. First creek on the OTR was about 60cm deep. 2nd low and keep momentum...no problems.

We took the van into Fuitbat Falls, luckily not meeting any other vehicles. The passing bays are few and very small, and, the road is a bit of a squeeze between the trees for the 2.5km..

The road to Captain Billy's Landing is narrow because of folliage/branches and the drainage humps are pretty effective speed humps....5km/h. Worth a couple of nights if the weather is okay.

Have a good trip.

Cheers.......Rob and Liz
AnswerID: 568961

Our Sponsors