12v LCD TV

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 02, 2006 at 20:14
ThreadID: 122826 Views:4490 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
If you are looking for a 12v LCD TV then
Hardly Normal have just released a new model, Deca, 48cm wide screen LCD TV.
12v DC power, supplied with 240/12v transformer. Current draw on 12v is 5 amp. You will need to buy another lead and plug to operate it directly from 12v.
Has RCA, SCART, S Video and 15 pin D-Sub VGA input for computer.
We purchased one yesterday, list price was $699.00 but Hardly dropped price to $499.00 after short discussion about prices.

Regrds
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Fosssil - Thursday, Aug 03, 2006 at 08:02

Thursday, Aug 03, 2006 at 08:02
Hi Bob...
Is the LCD screen very heavy and hence not suitable for swinging off an arm...I would imagine it would weigh about 15 or more Kg and probably only suitable for bench top..
or do I have that wrong?

How do you plan to use it in your van.

When I get my van built I will be looking to display to the front and rear of the van, and perhaps store against the wall and hence will need a mobile arm, and that needs a special mount on the rear of the LCD..I have noticed that the Dell 24 " screen seems to fit most criteria except it costs about 1200 and runs on 240 v...but I think it is about a mountable weight...

I am really only fumbling in the dark here, because until I need it, I am not researching too much yet because of the rate at which specs and prices and models are changing.

I did try to look that model up on the net but could not see if it was a wide screen 16 x 9, or a 3 x 4 screen.

Thanks,

regards,

fosss
AnswerID: 568992

Follow Up By: Turist - Thursday, Aug 03, 2006 at 18:10

Thursday, Aug 03, 2006 at 18:10
Weight is about 3.4 Kg Foss.
Aspect ratio 16:10, resolution 1440 x 900.
It has the mounting points on the rear for wall mounting/arm mounting etc. They are a standard configuration used by all manufacturers.
I will be fitting a hanging hook so that the screen hangs under the overhead cupboard near sink.
We can the watch from the cafe seating or reverse screen and watch from outside through gally window.
For bedside viewing a small hook in ceiling near fridge will do the trick.
When travelling I will toss it on the bed under the doona to avoid the transmitted vibration encountered with hard mounting.

We hard mounted a TV and VCR in BT #1 and totally destroyed both of them.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 846102

Follow Up By: Fosssil - Thursday, Aug 03, 2006 at 18:41

Thursday, Aug 03, 2006 at 18:41
Bob...That's a great weight and easily handled by the arm type mount.
If you look after it like you say it should last a long time...
I must admit that my bush mathematics was very floored at 15, but there is no editing here...lol..I don't think I have done an error free post yet...lol
Regards,
fosss
FollowupID: 846103

Follow Up By: Fosssil - Thursday, Aug 03, 2006 at 18:50

Thursday, Aug 03, 2006 at 18:50
theres another error!!!
floored instead of flawed...lol
f
FollowupID: 846104

Reply By: Bushtracker - Thursday, Aug 03, 2006 at 17:55

Thursday, Aug 03, 2006 at 17:55
Anyone that tries this gear, please tell us your results after travel on the corrugation. There are a lot of household cheaper gear out there that are a big price attraction, and if any of it will stand up to the travel we should all get it...!

Put into practice, I have found that in general household goods are not designed to be mobile. Like Circuit boards where the larger heavier components are glued or soldered on the board only, to fracture the joints in travel and vibration because they are just too heavy to take the shock and constant vibration of corrugation in Outback travel.

The larger electrical components on PC Boards really need to be screwed and bolted in place and then soldered.

Regards, Ranger....

"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 568993

Our Sponsors