Winegard TV Aerial

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 12, 2006 at 00:16
ThreadID: 122846 Views:4165 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone advise if this aerial is suitable for picking up digital TV broadcasts? If so, what is a good 12v Digital STB?

I would rather learn from someone else's experience and possibly save myself some pain.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker - Saturday, Aug 12, 2006 at 01:09

Saturday, Aug 12, 2006 at 01:09
Flip n Lorry,

Lone Ranger -Just looking into one for myself, and SIM has a digital box, something around $3-400 that will take even a fuzzy snowy analog signal strength in full bloom digital.... Just had the meeting on it!!!!!

Good reports on it, call them .....

I am tossing up Oyster on my van, 40' lead to the ranch house when I am there and Oyster for on the road.... Or FREE Austar Satellite on the house, and Wineguard on my van with the Digital box... It has been reported two stations down low at Copeton for instance, four stations a bit fuzzy on higher ground, four stations clear with Digital box.
Probably the way I will go, call S.I.M. for prices and details.... I will probably opt for it myself and get the Austar Satellite out at the Station House with the horses...

Regards, Ranger...
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 569067

Follow Up By: Maximus - Saturday, Aug 12, 2006 at 03:53

Saturday, Aug 12, 2006 at 03:53
How easy is it to connect a set top box to the existing system. I have the usual system SIM install. as done about a month ago i.e. screen on swivel wall bracket , wineguard and DVD/CD/radio system.

Cheers
FollowupID: 846150

Follow Up By: Turist - Saturday, Aug 12, 2006 at 17:55

Saturday, Aug 12, 2006 at 17:55
Amplified signal from Wineguard goes to STB instead of TV.
"S" video or AV leads from STB to TV inputs.
Power to STB.

Tune TV to "S" video or AV inputs.
Tune STB to station frequencies, most auto tune like TV.
Watch TV.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 846151

Reply By: Turist - Saturday, Aug 12, 2006 at 02:35

Saturday, Aug 12, 2006 at 02:35
We have been using an Ellies STB with our Winegard for about 2 years, no problems, great picture when in digital transmission areas.
Standard definition picture only, HDTV box a big overkill with small screen TV's.

The Ellies will operate on 12v DC, cost about $110.00n from Hardly Normal.
There are several other brands around for similar prices that will operate on 12v.

Digital signals will make up for a lot of antenna deficiencies but the story is always the same, better antenna = better picture.

Bob
"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 569068

Reply By: Flipp'n Lorry - Saturday, Aug 12, 2006 at 03:06

Saturday, Aug 12, 2006 at 03:06
Thanks Bob, that sounds like the go.
AnswerID: 569069

Reply By: Ann & Peter - Saturday, Aug 12, 2006 at 07:25

Saturday, Aug 12, 2006 at 07:25
Flipp'n Lorry, I have a AQUOS Sharp with a very cheap ($90 at Bing Lee) KAON set top box and the digital works very well. We have had it in the van for 12 months travelling around the nation and it worked all over the place. When in range for the digital reception it works well. Hope the DP CHIP works well.
AnswerID: 569070

Reply By: Flipp'n Lorry - Sunday, Aug 13, 2006 at 23:30

Sunday, Aug 13, 2006 at 23:30
Thanks to all for suggestions - in the end, I purchased a Telefunken STB from Hardly Normal for $140. It is only slightly larger than a pack of cigarettes, and extremely easy to set up and use.

In our case, because we have the Oyster Sat, SIM had also installed a video switch which has 2 spare inputs. There is also a spare Winegard aerial outlet which allows RF cable connection into the Telefunken, and then the composite video and audio outputs plug straight into the video switch. (The Telefunken is not really suited for direct connection to the TV as Turist described, as it does not have an RF Out and you would need a splitter to connect FR cable to both the TV and Telefunken), but through a video switch it is perfect). Nice and neat, it is all hidden away in the cupboard.

It uses a wall wart to supply 12v, all I have left to do is cut the transformer off and direct wire it.

The technical specs don't say if the 12v plug into the Telefunken has a hot tip or hot ring - anyone know how to test this please?
AnswerID: 569071

Follow Up By: Turist - Sunday, Aug 13, 2006 at 23:37

Sunday, Aug 13, 2006 at 23:37
The normal configuration is +Inner (tip), -Outer (ring).
To be sure test the power plug with a multimeter, one probe up the centre, one on the outside.
The multimeter will indicate the polarity.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"

FollowupID: 846152

Our Sponsors