Water Leak in 18ft- can anyone provide a resolution

Submitted: Monday, Aug 14, 2006 at 23:10
ThreadID: 122850 Views:5543 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Just recently i purchased a 1999 second hand bushtracker 18 ft layout which has a couch at the rear. The van is parked on the road with a slight fall to the back and gutter side. Whenever it rains water dribbles down the slope under the couch about 100 mm in from the side wall. There is a water stain about 200mm square in the corner of the back wall. I have checked the hot water system, rear clearance lights and angle on top of the steel armour plate and ran water over those areas without success. Water leaks are frustrating when you cant find them. At least the van is made of material that does not swell or fall to pieces. Read an article that said that the solar junction box could be a problem area. Any experiences. Thank you.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker - Monday, Aug 14, 2006 at 23:42

Monday, Aug 14, 2006 at 23:42
Check the clearance lights on the top.... Or it could be the window.... hard to tell on an older van... Try flooding the tail lights, behind them, the angle on top of the steel trailer, could even be wicking in the wiring from somewhere so leave a water sprinkler on it for a half hour and then move up..... Start at the tail lights, then go up to the window then up to the top clearance lights... But I would bet on the top ones filling with water..!

Dust and heat can affect the silicone seal on the back of the lights or clearance lights up on top... AND sometimes the lights themselves will fill up with water and believe it or not the water will wick in the wiring itself like a siphon hose...!!! Any way, that is the first place to look and a likely suspect... It is probably something just as simple as the light fixture filling up with water...

Check it out, and see how I can help more...

Lone Ranger at Bushtracker..
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 569087

Follow Up By: BushBoss - Tuesday, Aug 15, 2006 at 01:02

Tuesday, Aug 15, 2006 at 01:02
Thank you for the quick response. I have tried all of the above but will try again and be a little more patient,
Regards Lance
FollowupID: 846160

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Tuesday, Aug 15, 2006 at 01:19

Tuesday, Aug 15, 2006 at 01:19
Alright Lance,
Look for a light filling with water... Even a side clearance light, but I doubt it... Most likely a rear clearance light... Also, when dry, take out the screws in the rear window, and put a little silicone in the hole... Also check the rivets and make sure they have not sheared off on the little angle, assuming you have an old one with the steel trailer... A hole in a rivet in the angle, can mean in sheared off on the inside and the hole is sucking in water.. Also check the Trueline moulding where it comes down and meets the angle.... Also take out and silicone in the hole of the screws on the Trueline...

Look at the seal on top of and bottom of the angle, after hard use this many years that is a prime offender suspect.... Pick the area by my method of higher water sprinkler each hour until the leak starts, then do all the fittings in that area... It is going to be something silly and dumb and simple... Try it...

It is seven years old, unknown work, and I am blind, can't see it from here, so I am just thinking of all the bits it could be...
Regards, Ranger..

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 846161

Reply By: Bushtracker - Monday, Aug 14, 2006 at 23:44

Monday, Aug 14, 2006 at 23:44
Ooooppps !
100 mm out from side wall? on the side wall? If so, add the list to include the side clearance lights as well... However if it is the back wall, go ahead with the above...

Regards, Ranger...

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 569088

Reply By: Turist - Tuesday, Aug 15, 2006 at 01:39

Tuesday, Aug 15, 2006 at 01:39
With water running down the inside face of the rear cutaway you could have a problem where the rear lamp cable assembly exits the van, just under the tail light "C" channel.

The water can wick down this cable from the light assembly.

Happened to us with our old van.
Bit of Sikaflex will fix it.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 569089

Reply By: Bocky - Tuesday, Aug 15, 2006 at 02:29

Tuesday, Aug 15, 2006 at 02:29
Another thought, we picked our van up in March this year and had a leak in our ensuite. It use to track in from under the toilet and took me forever to trace it. It was coming in from were the rubber mould that covers the checker plate to the side of the van connects to the rear of the van . The water was collecting on the top of the "C" section that the rear lights are mounted in and then tracking along to the end and in behind the rubber mould and tracking along behind the mould. A bit of silo did the trick.
Regards,
Brian & Linda

"Such is Life"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 569090

Follow Up By: BushBoss - Tuesday, Aug 15, 2006 at 04:29

Tuesday, Aug 15, 2006 at 04:29
Plenty of info. Thank you all. Will let you know how i get on.

Regards Lance
FollowupID: 846162

Our Sponsors