$2,000.00

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 15, 2006 at 04:10
ThreadID: 122852 Views:4101 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
The government just announced a $2,000.00 subsidy to convert your vehicle to LPG.

I reckon that just put the conversion price up by about $1,000.00

Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker - Tuesday, Aug 15, 2006 at 17:42

Tuesday, Aug 15, 2006 at 17:42
Hello Turist,
Now it that subsidy would cover LPG conversion to metered intake manifold on diesels, that would be an interesting option....

Without the subsidy, the 20% torque and mileage improvement had too long of a payback period for most people towing vans.... More of payback for commercial interstate trucking applications. I have gotten favorable reports on LPG metered intake to diesels from America. You still start on diesel, but run lighter on the go pedal, as you increase torque and mileage with the Propane addition...

If this conversion subsidy covers diesels as well, this might particularly be the answer for underpowered mid sized 4x4's like Discovery, Landcruiser, Nissan, and the like... Towing..

Maybe even would pay for itself on Ford-Dodge-Chev... But they really do not need the extra torque, so limited gain... One would have to pencil out the payback of total costs x 20% fuel economy improvement over time... If it is only cut back from 400,000 km break even to 200,000 km break even, it might not be worth the bother and risk. Keep in mind there could be valve train or other excessive wear, and added fire hazard issues.. But it could be worth penciling out the sums again if it applies to diesels.... !

Worth investigation on Diesel conversion... Anybody know?

Regards, Ranger
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 569097

Reply By: Mobi Condo - Wednesday, Aug 16, 2006 at 04:30

Wednesday, Aug 16, 2006 at 04:30
Been chasing the Diesel Gas systems by Lavato(Sp?) here in Adelaide. Quoting at $3600 (maybe more with any exhaust redirection). Figures look good re power etc and would take about 75000k to pay for itself AT CURRENT LPG costs compared to diesel.
However I do recall an increase of 16 or 18 cents on fuel excise for LPG coming up soon.
Being a bit cynical re Govt policies etc I reckon that after next elections it will be at 38 cents after all of the general public have availed themselves of the deal. Then it will even longer pay off period. However the figures on power etc DO LOOK GOOD. Now I am wondering - arguing - debating - what ever - in my mind - Turbo or Diesel on Gas!
Will let you know if I find out more from here and of course would love to hear what ever from where ever on the matter.
Cheers - Ian & Sally
AnswerID: 569098

Reply By: Boystoy - Wednesday, Aug 16, 2006 at 04:45

Wednesday, Aug 16, 2006 at 04:45
Just heard on the ABC news (Derby WA) that WA govt. will also subsidise the remaining $1000, making the LPG conversion FREE.

I presume this only applies to WA residents.

Also is this an incentive to LPG conversions to increase their prices?

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 569099

Our Sponsors