Gibb River Road and now Cattle Mustering

Submitted: Friday, Aug 25, 2006 at 08:26
ThreadID: 122876 Views:3962 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
As I don't get on the internet very often at the moment, I just thought I would let you know what we have been up to lately.

We travelled through the Gibb River Road with Roger & Jackie Bunny without any problems and the road isn't too bad most of the way. Then we went into the Bungle Bungles without the BT as the sign says caravans are not permitted. The road in has some sharp crests and creek crossings, but should be suitable to tow a high clearance caravan such as a Bushtracker in so long as the rear step does not protrude below the chassis as it would certainly drag in places and get damaged.

I would now tow my 21 ft van with a removable rear step in, if I had an AT35 coupling or similar on it, but our pintel ring type hitch would not have enough travel front and rear to negotiate the sharp creek crossings.

It is well worth the trip in, but the $9 per person camp fees is a bit rich for a drop toilet and water that is not recommended for drinking.

We are now staying on a small Kimberley cattle station (3 million acres) and helping out mustering cattle, and enjoying the country life. The fence patrol along the highway is a big task when they have 300 km of fences fronting the highway and cattle regularly find a new place to break out. We will be sorry to leave next week so that we have time to get home before attending the rally, but will definitely be back.

Horses are no longer used to muster in this area as they are too slow and not cost affective when this property has over 26,000 cattle sent out each year. They mainly use 2 helicopters and several 4WD's to do the work.

Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deaf Nomad - Thursday, Sep 07, 2006 at 03:36

Thursday, Sep 07, 2006 at 03:36
Brian & Margaret,

Which cattle station are you staying at?

Cheers,

Michael.
AnswerID: 569188

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Saturday, Sep 09, 2006 at 06:12

Saturday, Sep 09, 2006 at 06:12
We. were staying at Springvale Station that includes Texas Downs, Mable Downs and Alice Downs. The same company owns another 3 stations in Derby- Broome area, as well as near Kalgoolie
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 846226

Our Sponsors