Chip upgrade for Toyota 100 Series Turbo diesel

Submitted: Monday, Aug 28, 2006 at 04:01
ThreadID: 122878 Views:5851 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
There have been various postings re engine management chip upgrades, including reference to the Safari Ditronic and Steinbauer P-Box amongst others.

For various reasons, after discussing with fellow Bogger "Peter", I decided to go with the DPChip from Berrima Diesel.

I have only done 700km since install, but initial impressions towing about 2900kg:

1) The first thing you notice is that performance is much smoother, and the infamous Landcruiser "clunk" on gear shifts has almost totally disappeared (auto transmission)
2) The improved torque has eliminated the "hunting" between gears that used to occur (based on a towing speed of around 90-95kmh). Whereas I used to use the overdrive on/off button continuously to anticipate grades, it now holds in top gear very well other than for the more severe grades. Very happy now to tow using overdrive.
3) Too early to be definitive, but we have done the coast road which includes the hilly stuff around Coffs Harbour, Byron Bay, etc and I think my consumption is around 18litres/100km compared with 21-21litres/100km previously. I am hoping for 16-17 on the flat inland stuff.

Anyway, I am not here to necessarily promote the DPChip as the reports on the others are impressive as well - it tookk me 5 years to get around to putting a chip in. If you are still thinking about it, then definitely recommended.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Freewheelers - Monday, Aug 28, 2006 at 22:09

Monday, Aug 28, 2006 at 22:09
phil good timing
planning to do the chip yhis week quoted price here in syd is $ 1320 fitted
from ARB did you do any better???? i knowc at shows they give $100 off
Stephen & Deborah

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 569196

Reply By: Flipp'n Lorry - Tuesday, Aug 29, 2006 at 04:52

Tuesday, Aug 29, 2006 at 04:52
Cost me $1349 at Skin Bins ARB at Port Macquarie.
AnswerID: 569197

Reply By: Wadefarers - Tuesday, Aug 29, 2006 at 17:50

Tuesday, Aug 29, 2006 at 17:50
Phil

Referring back to a post of yours (# 2037) in January 2006 re Tip 71 New Chip for 100 series Turbo Diesel and this post re your new chip.

In the old post "Mike" mentioned that he had had the chip set so that maximum power came in at 1650 rpm and the mileage he was getting on that basis seemed to be terrific. Did you do that or did you/they use some other maximum/minimum setting?

As I have ordered a new 100 series turbo diesel (probably contrary to Steve's advice but nevertheless) I am interested to know what differences you have noticed and/or achieved so far. Am thinking this is the way to go.

Also would like to know why you went with this chip comapred to others available.

Regards
Jeff
AnswerID: 569198

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Friday, Sep 01, 2006 at 19:47

Friday, Sep 01, 2006 at 19:47
Hello Jeff,
First of all, no one has to take my advice, but it is my best judgement on the matters in general from the overall perspective of about four times more reports on things than just on the BOG.... Good on you on Ordering your new IFS Cruiser, enjoy it !! The new Turbo Cruiser is still the MOST COMMON tow vehicle for a Bushtracker... If you don't mind telling me, what did it cost you for my reference...??? I have heard they are back up in the $75k range....

Look Jeff: My advice is just geared for the whole group, in line with the concept that the V-8 Turbo is on the horizon, and second hand Cruisers for half the money are a very good value that will hold their value. With regards to your comment, there are always good reasons not to take my practical advice, for new car tax incentives, for Business "Novated Lease" reasons, for people that are not mechanical and want the new car feel and warranty, for prestige, for business reasons back home with image in their Public contact.. There are a lot of good reasons not to take my advice on matters. My advice is well intentioned for the broad spectrum and usually from an engineering and practical view.

I personally have also recently thrown in the perspective that new IFS Cruiser prices might suffer when the new V-8 Twin Turbo Diesel Cruiser comes out. But all that aside, there is nothing like a new vehicle feel in life, so not withstanding my advice.... CONGRATULATIONS.....!! You probably have sound reasons for doing what you are doing... I just try an do my best to look after people in general, with other perspectives on the matters that may be other options to consider.. OK?

The truth is we may not even like the new V-8 Cruiser for some reason.. It might not have good fuel economy, or be more of a city luxury car with 18" alloy wheels or something. Your choice might have very well been the very best one for you. I just want others to no what the other choices are. In my view the new IFS Cruiser is just not the only game in town anymore...

For any others: Anyone that is interested in my "Current Tow Vehicle Options Advice, Pros and Cons" please feel free to contact me: I am at your Service... My own choice on a 100 Series was few years old, a non electronic engine, non IFS with the solid monobeam front diff axle housing, and aftermarket turbo and intercooler. A vehicle readily serviced in the Bush without a computer.

Cheers from the Ranger....
FollowupID: 846238

Follow Up By: Wadefarers - Friday, Sep 01, 2006 at 22:40

Friday, Sep 01, 2006 at 22:40
Steve

It was really just a "tongue in cheek" comment. While I understand your comments and the value in what you said, especially cost wise, I went this way for a couple of reasons.

1 You are right, there is nothing like a new car.
2 After speaking to a few people, including 4WD mechanics where I get my 80 series serviced, and in my own judgement, buying the last of a tried and true model is sometimes a better option than buying the first of a new model. I was intending to buy the 4.2 T/D next year when I retire and I knew the new model was coming next year. But because they will cease production of that motor in October, purchase was put forward to now.
3 Because I wanted to upgrade, re bull bar, shockers, springs etc, it usually takes around 12 months for that stuff to be sorted out for a new model. This way I can get that done with little problem and can get on the road sooner.
4 I have had the 80 series for 10 years and would expect to keep this for that long as well.
5 I have always found that buying from new, you got to run the car in your own way and therefore didn't buy someone else's problem. Now I know that that might not always be the case, but once bitten twice shy. (Some would say you don't have to run them in but as a personal thing it's something I like to do - hasn't let me down yet).

One thing however that is a pain in the ****, is that you cannot buy BFG A/T's for it. Wheels are now 17 inch and BFG don't make them, so had to go with Cooper ST's. Hopefully by the time I need new ones, BFG will be available in 17 inch.

Steve, your advice is always welcome and I would say in the main I agree with you. In fact as far as the T/D and comments about its IFS, I'd rather not have it. But as probably most of my extreme 4WD days are behind me, I can live with it.

By the way, I consider that I got a very deal. $72K on the road including the Coopers.

Regards

Jeff
FollowupID: 846239

Follow Up By: Turist - Saturday, Sep 02, 2006 at 02:13

Saturday, Sep 02, 2006 at 02:13
All the reasons abobe are insignificant.

The best thing about a new car is THE NEW CAR AROMA. (Oops, nearly wrote smell)

That is something that I can really live with.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

FollowupID: 846240

Reply By: Flipp'n Lorry - Wednesday, Aug 30, 2006 at 01:21

Wednesday, Aug 30, 2006 at 01:21
Mike fitted the Steinbauer P-Box so I am not sure that I can make comparisons re rpm settings (and I don't have the technical knowledge anyway). From a driver's view, it seems to be operating across the whole of the range, certainly in terms of improved smooth running. The DPChip has 10 settings (basically from low to maximum performance), and after discussing with the installer it is currently fitted on the maximum power setting.

I was originally intending to install the P-Box also, but it meant travelling to Toowoomba or Dalby which was awkward for me. But I met fellow Bogger, alias Peter, at Port Macquarie who had the DPChip and was extremely pleased and I could get installation done there. Not much more science than that really.

I don't think I will get the fuel efficeincy which Mike claims, but I think Mike is running a manual transmission (?) whereas I have auto.

AnswerID: 569199

Reply By: Freewheelers - Friday, Sep 01, 2006 at 19:20

Friday, Sep 01, 2006 at 19:20
hi guys
i spoke with the p box people at a show here in syd they were aware of peers claim re consumption & wrer awaiting a repeat performance they were not commenting or claiming any such figure
cheers

Stephen & Deborah

AnswerID: 569200

Our Sponsors