Anybody Towing With the 4.2 6 cyl Turbo 5 Speed F-250???

Submitted: Friday, Sep 01, 2006 at 02:52
ThreadID: 122891 Views:6223 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I am doing a little R&D, and would like to know if anyone is towing with the Effie that has the Turbo 6 cyl and can give me a report. It has been years since they first came out. I was very impressed with a test drive in one back in about 2002? or so... It seemed to have about the same power and pickup as an IFS Landcruiser, maybe a little more?

It was also impressive in that it did not have ANY electronics, all mechanical engine, pressure fired injectors, manual injection pump, and manual transmission. What a reliable workhorse I thought... But I have not met anyone that has really put one to work.

Has anyone got a report on it's towing ability, long life on the engine or not? Please comment.

Here is a chance to help the lone Ranger with ongoing Research and Development..
Kind Regards to all, LR...

"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kingy - Friday, Sep 01, 2006 at 09:28

Friday, Sep 01, 2006 at 09:28
Hi Steve
My work truck is a 4.2L tray back 5spd and what a work horse it is. I have not towed our 21BT with it but it is used to tow my boat which weighs just over 2.5t when fuelled and watered and does not know it is there. In my opinion it leaves the cruiser and nissen 4.2's way behind in power, torque and comfort.

Before we bought the BT and 7.3L Supercab, we used it for our fishing trips, towing a camper trailer with boat on top and all the fuel, gear and water needed for 2 weeks away from civilisation. Fuel usage on those trips was around 15-17 Miles/Gal and around town as my work truck is 23-24Miles/Gal.

I have no idea why they were discontinued, but what a loss..

Cheers
Peter

AnswerID: 569240

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Friday, Sep 01, 2006 at 17:57

Friday, Sep 01, 2006 at 17:57
Thank you Kingy,
I suspected it would be good on fuel. From driving one myself I guessed it would pull harder than a Landcruiser or a Nissan, you seem to think this is true...

Have you heard anything about the longevity of the engines? Who makes the engine or anything? One of the Ford Techies on a Ford forum did not think that engine was Ford or in American.... Which is interesting.. ???

Thanks in advance for the report... Ranger

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 846261

Reply By: Maric - Tuesday, Sep 05, 2006 at 23:15

Tuesday, Sep 05, 2006 at 23:15
Don't know where the 6 is from but the V8 diesel is actually derived from a petrol International from the 70's and goin' well
AnswerID: 569241

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Tuesday, Sep 05, 2006 at 23:37

Tuesday, Sep 05, 2006 at 23:37
Hello Maric, and Welcome to the BOG....

Actually the 7.3 was the 6.9 Diesel in the 80's, from the International Diesel... It became the 7.3 somewhere around 1989... Anyway, I was on one of the Ford Forums asking Research for someone here, and they did not get the 4.2 Diesel 6 cyl in the U.S. Hence the question if anyone know where it came from..

The 7.3 is nearly Bulletproof, with huge reserves of horsepower and torque you can tap into on the standard engine all the way to 400+ Horsepower.. And the special built engines go to 500 HP and up... Solid engine with reports of service life around 600,000 km if you take care of it...

Regards, Ranger.

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 846262

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Tuesday, Sep 05, 2006 at 23:39

Tuesday, Sep 05, 2006 at 23:39
Sorry, 600,000 Miles and up... Like sort of a million kilometre engine of a big truck..
Regards, LR

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 846263

Reply By: Kingy - Thursday, Sep 07, 2006 at 00:00

Thursday, Sep 07, 2006 at 00:00
Hi Steve

The engine is a " MWM Sprint Turbo Cooler 18V ". I don't know much more except for the fact that I am up to 140000kms without any issues at all, touch wood.
Hope this helps.

Regards
Peter
AnswerID: 569242

Follow Up By: Kingy - Thursday, Sep 07, 2006 at 00:01

Thursday, Sep 07, 2006 at 00:01
Maybe you could post anything you find out about them if that's ok.
FollowupID: 846264

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Thursday, Sep 07, 2006 at 02:01

Thursday, Sep 07, 2006 at 02:01
Hello Peter,
The lone Ranger hears you, fair enough, will do....

Right now, you lead the Pack for kms.... I think it is a brilliant little engine, and the lack of modern electronics makes it a very attractive option. STRUTH? I was even thinking about getting one for myself. Good economy, and I think they pulled as well as Landcruiser or Nissan Patrol or better when I drove one.. And I LOVE the fact that I could work on it myself, no electronics, no electronic shifting, nada, zero, zip... Love it.!! Struth? I was thinking about buying one that came up one the Internet, Dual Cab, with a Tray, and Hydraulic Lift gate, for $48,000 with low kilometres. While I was thinking, it sold, slow on the draw but thinking how nice it would be.... I like horse I can maintain myself.

I will let you know what I find out, but most only sort of drive 30,000 km a year and not enough of them around to find one with much more mileage on it than yours... I have only seen a couple for sale from Fleets like Utility or Government with upwards of 175,000 and still going strong. My first F-250, a military one out of Fort Ord, USA, a 1969 from memory, was a six cyl manual. Unbreakable Workhorse!

Will keep you Posted. Regards, Ranger

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 846265

Our Sponsors