F 250 fuel consssumption

Submitted: Friday, Sep 01, 2006 at 06:03
ThreadID: 122892 Views:4498 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone tell me what fuel consumption a Ford F250 7.3l diesel gets towing a van and not towing.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Turist - Friday, Sep 01, 2006 at 07:34

Friday, Sep 01, 2006 at 07:34
We had an avge of 22 L/P/H with a well loaded 20' BT behind.
Only used the truck for towing so can't give you a good figure for fuel consumption when not towing.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 569243

Follow Up By: Maximus - Friday, Sep 01, 2006 at 09:04

Friday, Sep 01, 2006 at 09:04
I have a current F250 Cab/Chassis manual. Average without the van is about 13.5L/100K. Last year I towed a 2500kg. van ( not a BT) over 16000k.s and averaged 18.5L/100. Travelled around 90- 95k/hr. Plant it and it will certainly go higher..
FollowupID: 846266

Follow Up By: Black Cobra - Friday, Sep 01, 2006 at 12:49

Friday, Sep 01, 2006 at 12:49
I have been doing fuel checks and getting used to the F Truck consumption which has returned
18 00 lt/100 km city,
15.81 lt/100 km city/highway,
13.64 lt/100 km highway @ 100km/h.

As the B/T is not ready until March I cannot give towing figures.

Cheers
Stewart
FollowupID: 846267

Follow Up By: Black Cobra - Friday, Sep 01, 2006 at 12:51

Friday, Sep 01, 2006 at 12:51
Forgot thats for a 2004 7.3 litre crew cab, auto
FollowupID: 846268

Reply By: Bushtracker - Friday, Sep 01, 2006 at 17:54

Friday, Sep 01, 2006 at 17:54
Jim and Jan,

See TIP # 107 17.99% BETTER FUEL ECONOMY- Invention for Fords With a Snorkel… Most Fords can benefit from more air delivery, or the bigger AIS Donaldson Filter...

From most reports from about 90 Fords towing Bushtrackers they are getting better fuel economy than the Toyotas towing.. The average runs at least 1 km per litre better fuel economy than Landcruiser in my estimation, from the reports... Of course it depends on how you drive, but if you are conservative you can get into the range of 14 to 16 miles per gallon, on the lower side with a big van, on the higher side with a smaller van.

Not towing 19 to 21 miles per gallon is not uncommon. My F-250 gets around 19mpg, around 6.8 km per litre, carrying a tonne of gear. My fully loaded Troopcarrier got around 7 km per litre years ago. With a larger van, I certainly know which one I would prefer. With a smaller van, say under 20 foot, and coming back to town or city to live, the Landcruiser still wins hands down... But, bigger van over 20', horses for courses, and the long wheelbase, power, and fuel economy of the Ford wins.

Regards, lone Ranger, always judging horseflesh...

"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 569244

Follow Up By: njthommo - Sunday, Sep 03, 2006 at 03:31

Sunday, Sep 03, 2006 at 03:31
Just filled up first tank full since changing CPS and installing an AIS air filter.

City cycle returned 16.39 l/100km.

Steve, I've seen on the web a modification a which includes a foam fender sleeve that directs air from within the fender through a hole cut in the side of the AIS air box.
www.dieselpowerproducts.com have a photo. Do you think this would be a better mod than the zoodad to provide more air to the turbo to help lower EGT's and increase MPG? I feel the zoodad mod might direct too much dust gravel etc into the system defeating the advantage of the extra filtering capacity of the AIS.

Since installing a tranny temp gauge I've seen the temp rise to and remain at 205-215F peaking at 223F while driving on steepish gravel roads in the mountains inland from Port Macquarie. Next week I have arriving a larger capacity transmission oil cooler from a 2005 6.0 L Superduty and with this installed and together with changing to Castrol Tranzmax Z I hope the tranny temps will fall. I'll let you know what difference it's once I've tried it out.

Regards, Nick
FollowupID: 846269

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Monday, Sep 04, 2006 at 18:25

Monday, Sep 04, 2006 at 18:25
Hello Nick,
I don't know if changing the CPS is the right move, to the blue one I think you are talking about... I have heard it is a slightly different timing and only for the hot rod Fords that are doing street work... My spare is the black one. This site is the only source so far that is pro- the blue one. In any case, they must have done the research to put their company on the line, so I guess you cannot do any harm with it... For other readers, my original Ford CPS spare cost $98 from the powerstrokeshop.com.

I also do not know if bull dust would be decreased with the fender mount air inlet, I think it would be worse due to the tire. The ZooDad mod takes clean cooler air from the front and rams it to the air cleaner. It makes sense, but in truth there is a good argument that the stock air intake from the engine bay is just fine, even though it is hotter air. If you are concerned about bulldust, I would just stay with the air intake in the engine bay. Following a vehicle in the bulldust for a short while like we get stuck doing as they pass us one way or another, the Zoodad mod might take in more bulldust...

What am I doing? We SNORKEL IS KING..... I am headed the way of an additional snorkel inlet to the box, as the intake restriction would be nil then. I will cut back off the original intake to the box when I do this. But I have not done it yet, so I cannot tell you how, but I would be looking to make an additional snorkel inlet near the bottom of side of the AIS box. Then you are up in clean air, and don't have to close anything off to go through deep water..

On the tranny temps, yes by all reports with synthetics you will drop about 10 degrees. This is a surprise to me as I did not think it would actually run cooler, only that it would take the heat better which it does.. Anyways, the tranny running in synthetic and the tranny cooler larger will drop you below 200. I have heard of temps running 170-190, and I think that is what you can expect.

You are ahead of me, on modding my truck, but to tell you the truth while I am doing the research on behalf of you BOGGERS, I am a little slow to get around to the AIS and Tranny gauge myself as do very little towing with my Ford. I am running Transmax Z of course. But since I travel with horses and my horse truck most of the time, I am slow in getting around to the AIS myself, same for the tranny gauge. I know they work for you, it is just that I have not done it as I really do not need it myself.... One of those wish list things, I may or may not get around to doing for mine. The research is really on behalf of you, and I know you will get good results with both, in Transmission Life and better fuel economy, and better air filter economy and life...

Kind Regards to all from the Ranger...
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 846270

Reply By: Tassie Bushies - Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 00:44

Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 00:44
Hi JimJan.
F250 auto with van 20ft about 3500kg, on was 4km to Ltr, but with the "Ranger mod" is now 4.5Km to the Ltr. Travel about 95Kph on the open road.
Without van on but still about 400kg in the tub, was 6.4km to Ltr, now it is 7km to Ltr.
Regards Peter.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 569245

Our Sponsors