We're back!!!

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 02, 2006 at 23:29
ThreadID: 122898 Views:4423 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Dear fellow boggers,

Some of you may remember us, Michael, Melinda and Jasmine when we travelled around the country in 2004. We sold our 21' BT when we returned home (Melinda got preggers - a hazard of too much time on your hands while BT'ing!!!!) So now we are a family of four, with the addition of Sarah, now 15 months old and we are getting our 2nd BT to travel permanenetly. Needless to say, Mike has had the chop, as to prevent further BT hazards!!! We will be Bt'ing full time for the next 5-10 years before returning home in readiness for Jasmine to start high school.

At the moment, we are looking at placing an order for our 2nd BT in the next few weeks, this time with an island bed instead of yacht style berth. As it has been so long since we made contact with some fellow boggers we met up at the Melbourne Caravan Show in 2004, feel free to reveal yourselvesand where you are! Where is Angie and Ivan by the way, we had a lot of fun on the BOG site, but never had the opportunity to meet up. Very likely we will attend the BT Rally in 2007. In the meantime, I will continue to browse the site for handy tips and hints and see what changes have been made, what new technology has been introduced, etc. Speak soon.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Sunday, Sep 03, 2006 at 02:14

Sunday, Sep 03, 2006 at 02:14
Hi there Mike, Melinda and bigger co.

We are over here in London again but not for much longer. We've missed the lifestyle and so will be back at different times over the next few months to take it up again. Ivan in October, me in the earlier part of next year.

Congratulations on the newest member to the family. Love seeing these future Boggers being brought into the family.

Angie
AnswerID: 569264

Follow Up By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Thursday, Sep 28, 2006 at 14:39

Thursday, Sep 28, 2006 at 14:39
New update for us. Ivan flies out on 15th October and I now fly out on 22nd November and spend my birthday 23rd in Hong Kong then straight on to Adelaide.

Work is a crock and can't wait to get home and start travelling again.

Angie
FollowupID: 846274

Reply By: Jaunty Jordans - Sunday, Sep 03, 2006 at 06:12

Sunday, Sep 03, 2006 at 06:12
Hi Michael, Melinda and co,
Congratulations on the new additionandmust say, it does make a difference when one of you has had the chop!!! Don't forget though that you may now need to order stabiliser legs!!!!
You say you will opt for an island bed this time, can you tell us why and what other changes you will make and are you going for longer length?
I ask because we are bound to update in the next few years and are interested in what others are finding after having had their first BT.
Thanks and congratulations again
Prue
AnswerID: 569265

Follow Up By: Deaf Nomad - Sunday, Sep 03, 2006 at 07:57

Sunday, Sep 03, 2006 at 07:57
Hi Prue,

We will be opting for a 20 foot instead of 21 foot. Van manoevureability is the motivating factor. Will be towing with Toyota LC Troopcarrier 4.2 TD, but I would like to confirm with Steve and also to others whether an aftermarket turbo or a factory turbo is better. Island bed, easier to make, don't have to wake the other up when climbing over to take a leak. We had plenty of room with 21 feet, so sacrificing just 1 foot isn't going to be a big deal. Welcome comments from others though...
FollowupID: 846275

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Monday, Sep 04, 2006 at 20:49

Monday, Sep 04, 2006 at 20:49
COPY OF WHAT WAS SENT BY BT EMAIL, FOR OTHERS BENEFIT, SHARING INFO..... AND MICHAEL, I AM ADDING ONE MORE THING IN BOLD BELOW....

Hello Michael
And welcome back!!

Look, it is a hard decision. But while I would say that the aftermarket turbo is just as powerful and easier to service if something goes wrong in the Bush, it is because the new Factory Turbo ones are all fully electronic and take a computer to run… HOWEVER, what swings the pendulum back in favor of the Factory turbo one is the 78 Series has an upgraded suspension that rides better, coils in front and longer leaves in the back…

I think It all comes down to dollars. If the older is the financial way to go, I certainly would not feel bad at all putting a aftermarket Safari turbo it on it. That engine takes it great!!! The other side of it, is also that we are not sure what the new one coming is like or when it is coming. But you may want to save your dollars a bit, with a mind to upgrade in a couple of years for fuel economy.

You can do better on the price though… That sounds a bit steep. I know that a 75 Series can be bought for less, maybe a few more kilometers, but I have seen them for $25,000. You may want to look around a little more, buy a copy of “4X4 Trader” magazine, and have a look, but that sounds too expensive. I have seen them with 400,000 and even 600,000 kms on them so who cares if you buy one with 55,000 or 125,000 kms. You might just be paying too much for the low kilometers of that one.. OK?....

If you want my judgment, I would go the cheaper one unless I was rich. If you are on a budget, go a $25-30 one and upgrade the suspension and add the aftermarket turbo. You shop and you will find one with toys on it, winch bullbar, driving lights, long range tanks that sort of gear. You buy a new one, and you will still want some of the gear, so you might be too much money into it… In all fairness it might not hold its value when the new one gets here, where the older one will probably not devalue as much. You have plenty of time, shop around a bit.

(JUST MAKE SURE IT IS 1997 ON WITH THE HIGHER TOWING CAPACITY, AND LOOK AT THE GOVERNMENT AUCTIONS TOO, I BOUGHT ONE WITH 43,000 km ON IT FOR $30K BEATING OUT THE DEALERS THAT WERE BIDDING)

Best regards from the lone Ranger...

"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 846276

Reply By: Fosssil - Sunday, Sep 03, 2006 at 21:29

Sunday, Sep 03, 2006 at 21:29
Hello Deaf Nomads,
Fosssil here...You don'r really know me, but Grace and I also plan to do the BT living thing for a period of time when we can...

I have been following the forum and your travels from before and during your adventure and I must admit to feeling disappointed at the relatively quick stint in the BT travelling that you did considering your initial plans, and I thought to my self that things must be more difficult and not as you expected and that you just did not like the travelling...

Well, as it turns out there was a very valid and great reason for the sale of your first BT, and noting that you have bought another BT gladdens my heart.

Those folk who read the forums and take note of those who tried and failed can place you in the succeeded column now, and to me that's a big plus.

We may very well see you in our travels when we get out there.

Good luck

regards,

fosss
AnswerID: 569266

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Monday, Sep 04, 2006 at 18:34

Monday, Sep 04, 2006 at 18:34
Hello Foss,
Since we started counting a few years ago, they are number 44 that have come back for a second van.

Of those that come back for a second one, the First priority reason seems to be for a larger van. They tried the Lifestyle a little too conservatively and now want more luxury.

The Second most common reason, is for an updated version, as our technology improves and our layout innovations improve, some people just want a newer and better Bushtracker...

The Third reason, is people needs or desires change and they want a different style of layout. Sometimes it takes owning one to learn what you really want in one...

The good news is, that from all reports at least 90-95% of our second hand Sellers sold for a profit. And most of the ones that did not, say they Listed it too cheap indicated by how fast it sold.. Just like Apteryx last week, I told them it was too cheap, we even thought about buying it ourselves!!! They sold it that week.. According to our Customers reports, we continue to have the highest secondhand resale value of any van in Australia. So no harm done in getting a new one...

Regards from the Ranger...

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 846277

Follow Up By: Fosssil - Monday, Sep 04, 2006 at 18:48

Monday, Sep 04, 2006 at 18:48
Thats the sort of info I love to hear Steve
fosss
FollowupID: 846278

Reply By: TroopyTracker - Monday, Sep 04, 2006 at 04:49

Monday, Sep 04, 2006 at 04:49
G'day there,
"Mike has had the chop"- Love it!

Good on you for getting back into it. I think I had your name as one of afew towing with 4.2TD(factory) Troopys that I have bee meaning to get in contact with re performance? Do you currently have a Factory TD Troopy? Anyways, if you don't I would take something into consideration- I have read, on Toyota letterhead, that a V8 Diesel will be going into the new Troopy and Utes as of next year! The 1HZ is finished, with the current TD not to be produced after 06 due to emmisions. The dealer would not let me have the release info that I was reading so I'm not 100% on the release date. The latest 4x4 Aus (or overlander??) has a piece on this in the current issue. What I read was the internal Toyota magazine called the "Trading Post". If you're friendly with your Tojo dealer he might let you have a copy.

Fact is, sometime next year maybe as early as March, there will be a V8 diesel Troopy being built and sent to Aus. My plans to convert to a 6.5 Chev have gone out the window. A factory V8 diesel Toyota, live front axle and at least 3 doors they say (not that I care about that one)-this is huge, everyone will want one. This may be exactly what many are after, and it may be a complete botch but we can only wait as Toyota are giving little else away. I doubt the Troopys and utes will get the twin turbo intercooled variant, but not sure that will be a problem. Amazing thing is that they will get it before the 130 series?? Anyway, worth knowing if you can hold out a bit.

Have fun,
Matt
AnswerID: 569267

Follow Up By: Fosssil - Monday, Sep 04, 2006 at 17:23

Monday, Sep 04, 2006 at 17:23
Hi Matt,
Your info is very interesting, as I have been following this topic as close as the internet will allow me...and of course, no matter how I approach it I get a big stone wall from any dealership I contact.
I notice that Troopys seem to be only manuals with no option for auto...Is that correct?
would love to have one of the V8 version if it was auto.. But then again...who knows what will arrive.. it could certainly be a great price.....
Regards
fosss
FollowupID: 846279

Reply By: Bushtracker - Monday, Sep 04, 2006 at 21:08

Monday, Sep 04, 2006 at 21:08
Michael, and once again, WELCOME BACK!!!

I have reserved your spot in the Production Schedule, you get one of the remaining Sydney Show Display vans per your request...

Also I have attached a few technology and safety bits for you to get caught up on...
Tips # 28, 46, 59, 67, 75, 77 and "Expanation on our new Solar Regulator"... From the Owners Forum... Let me know if you do not receive it... And let us know how more we can help... See you here.

Regards, lone Ranger...

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 569268

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Thursday, Sep 28, 2006 at 04:40

Thursday, Sep 28, 2006 at 04:40
Good to see you back on the forum.

We met at Shepparton some time ago now and remained in regular contact until you sold your first van.

If you are in the Noosa area or going to BTi come up and see us. I think you have our address etc.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 569269

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Thursday, Sep 28, 2006 at 20:35

Thursday, Sep 28, 2006 at 20:35
Hello Mike and Melinda,

Are you still at Aberglasslyn? We often travel up your way to visit our daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren, who live at Lower Belford. In fact, when on BT trips north, south (we prefer to go south via Rylstone, Oberon, Goulburn... than thru Sydney) or west, we will spend the first night (or last or both) camped in their back paddock.

We live at Nelson Bay and our BT is garaged here. We have had it now for four years and have spent one year in it, with the major trips being Murray River Source to Sea, Port Elliot-Red Centre-Top End, and Cape York.

If you venture down to the Bay, feel welcome to call in to say G'day. We could even arrange a free Toboggan Ride or two.

Cheers.....Rob and Liz.

AnswerID: 569270

Our Sponsors