Van Insurance

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 12, 2006 at 05:43
ThreadID: 122916 Views:4295 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Can anybody recommend a good insurance co. to use for our van, we seem to be getting the runaround at the moment because we wont be having a home base, and cant give them a set time for traveling and will be interstate. Sounds like @#%*& to me but seem to be getting the same answer at each co or broker.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Maximus - Tuesday, Sep 12, 2006 at 09:34

Tuesday, Sep 12, 2006 at 09:34
The best thing to do is give them a home base, one of your children, a sister a brother or whatever, otherwise you can have a problem..

AnswerID: 569319

Reply By: Goodpal50 - Tuesday, Sep 12, 2006 at 17:58

Tuesday, Sep 12, 2006 at 17:58
I can recommend Caravan Insurances Ltd (CIL). When we had an accident they organised everything (towing etc) and as our van was a write off we had full payment in our bank account in less than two weeks from when we had the accident.
Just use one of your childrens or other family members address as a mailing address.
AnswerID: 569320

Follow Up By: rojos - Friday, Sep 15, 2006 at 23:08

Friday, Sep 15, 2006 at 23:08
Could anyone please post the telephone number of CIL. Having problems finding on the whitepages website

FollowupID: 846316

Reply By: Bushtracker - Tuesday, Sep 12, 2006 at 19:17

Tuesday, Sep 12, 2006 at 19:17
The lone Ranger says CIL and here is why.....

We have tried and used them all. CIL has at varying times been the cheapest, or second cheapest, but at least competitive.... But forget the cost if they are even close!! Where they SHINE is when you need them! They have always gone FIRST CLASS on repairs, little or no arguements, and been willing to transport a van back to Bushtracker without a battle.

Overall, CIL has made the most people happy when they were put to the test, for major repairs here at Bushtracker, waaaaay ahead of the pack in every way. We are not a Agent for them, but it is who I insure my own van with...

Lone Ranger.....
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 569321

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Friday, Sep 15, 2006 at 08:13

Friday, Sep 15, 2006 at 08:13
Back in 2001 we had an accident and CIL had it repaired in Melbourne and when it wasn't up to scratch, allowed us to take it into BTi and get it fixed properly. It appears that they didn't replace the suspension parts back then and when they gave way on this trip after a minor bump with a kangaroo, a long term crack showed up and CIL didn't hesitate authorising the claim when things were explained to them.

From experience and having to get CIL to tow the van on 3 occassions, all I can do is agree with Bushtracker, that they are an excellent company to have your van insured with when you have an accident and need to make a claim.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 846317

Reply By: TroopyTracker - Tuesday, Sep 12, 2006 at 21:38

Tuesday, Sep 12, 2006 at 21:38
CCI Caravaners Complete Insurance-No dramas with no home base. Had trouble with CIL personally so went looking for alternative. CCI's policy is designed specifically for full time vanners. Talk to Justin. Don't have no with me sorry.(on wifes phone)

AnswerID: 569322

Reply By: Freewheelers - Wednesday, Sep 13, 2006 at 10:20

Wednesday, Sep 13, 2006 at 10:20
We're also with CCI (Justin Sweeney ph 1800 069 199). Very helpful, but (cross fingers) have not had occasion to claim.
Designed for fulltime travellers, but have covered us (vehicle and van) since we took delivery of tow vehicle in Feb 2005 and van in Jun 2005, while we were still in one place, working, waiting for our house to sell.
Happy to say after 10months that has happened, we move out at the end of this month, and just today I rang Justin to activate the $10K Fulltime Travellers Cover for our extra toys (genny, Lemair washer, dig camera, laptop, Ipod, chain saw, bike, sporting & fishing equip, table and chairs. In other words, anything not screwed into the van. They say if you tipped the van on end, anything that doesn't fall out is covered - incl microwave, audio/visual gear etc.

Jewellery is a real problem for all insurers. If you can't use a relatives address and get a specified items all risk extension on traditional contents cover (must be a residential address, commercial storage addresses don't count), leave it in a safe deposit box at your bank. Unless you wear it all the time (I often take my rings off for safety reasons - same when boating) the Safe Deposit Box is a much cheaper alternative.
Cheers, Deb
Stephen & Deborah

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 569323

Our Sponsors