Extended A-Frame/drawbar

Submitted: Friday, Sep 15, 2006 at 03:31
ThreadID: 122928 Views:4894 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hello Boggers,

I was keen to know what others felt about the extended drawbar. Some Boggers have them and other don't. It is my understanding that the extended drawbar was useful if you needed room on the A frame to carry gear. My concern is whether those without extended drawbars can make a much more tighter turn than those who do or vice versa. Opinions please...

Yours in BT'ing,

Michael.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Way2go - Friday, Sep 15, 2006 at 04:39

Friday, Sep 15, 2006 at 04:39
G'day
My reason for ordering the extended Aframe was because of the overhang on the tray on the 2005 Nissan Patrol, that extra 300mm will help in turning and backing in tight places, mind you I havnt tried it so I dont really know as the trakker is still on the assembly line.

But I am hoping that it will help.

haveagoodday
AnswerID: 569347

Reply By: Mobi Condo - Friday, Sep 15, 2006 at 07:04

Friday, Sep 15, 2006 at 07:04
Howdy Michael,
We decided not to choose an extended drawbar - but in a way wish we had as we have three jerry carriers and the LH one interferes slightly with the Jockey wheel in the up or travel position - we have Weight Distribution Hitch as well. However with that said, we do manage and really when I think of it we manage quite well with a squeeze (ever so slightly) of the jockey wheel.
Hope this assists.
Cheer - Ian & Sally
AnswerID: 569348

Reply By: Bushtracker - Friday, Sep 15, 2006 at 19:20

Friday, Sep 15, 2006 at 19:20
Hello Michael

This not a towing advantage like some thing, as here are the pros and cons:

The plus side is maybe it tows a tiny fraction better for the following reasons:
1) It is a slight towing advantage in that maybe it will feel better as the wheels are further back from the tow hitch, but this is VERY minor at best. Bushtrackers already tow well...
2) It is easier to back up for the Novice, because it reacts more slowly as you back up.. You will not have the over-steering problem most have when they back.

But then there are just as big of disadvantages:
1) Michael it cuts corners, you will have to watch carefully as you have the van cut the corner as you turn out of places and it takes getting used to. It is about an equal length of cut corner tighter turn in relation to the tow vehicle, about equal to the extension in that real rough dimension.
2) While this just takes getting used to, there is another storage and parking problem, as it increases the overall length.... And, your overall length on the Highway.

The only real reason to get it is if you want to carry something like jerry can holders on the a-frame. That is an awfully cheap long range tank. Particularly if you have a petrol vehicle where there is no safe place to carry extra petrol. Or a boat trailer, or what ever else you have in mind. You only get it if you have specific cargo to carry on the front.... Otherwise the disadvantages and advantages are about equal...

Regards, Ranger..

"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 569349

Reply By: Jaunty Jordans - Saturday, Sep 16, 2006 at 08:27

Saturday, Sep 16, 2006 at 08:27
Hi guys,
We stuck with the standard length and sometimes regret it but by the same token it also stops us overloading the A frame cos we could have the bike racks, carry firewood, add a box to carry the Lemair. See what I mean it COULD end up dangerous!!!
Am I right Steve?
Prue
AnswerID: 569350

Reply By: Two Doo - Sunday, Sep 17, 2006 at 21:52

Sunday, Sep 17, 2006 at 21:52
Greetings everyone, I have an extended A frame. Later, I also wanted to add a twin spare wheel carrier on the back of the tow vehicle (F250). This need was not apparent to me at the time of ordering our Bushtracker. Now, with the additional A frame length, I just have room to add the "unanticipated" sparewheel carrier. With the shorter A frame, this would not have been possible. You may well have different requirements, I found the increased length useful, for unanticipated additions. Kindest Regards, Warwick
AnswerID: 569351

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Tuesday, Sep 19, 2006 at 16:19

Tuesday, Sep 19, 2006 at 16:19
Hello A Framers,

There are 3 options for the A-Frame....Standard, +300mm, and +600mm. We had no idea when we ordered our van (June 2002 Delivery), so, we decided 300mm would give us some flexibility. We added an outboard motor bracket, but couldn't keep the bull dust out of the motor....so it went. We then went into cycling, buying two Giatex slide-frame folding bikes. Built an easy-to-romove aluminium tread-bar dust-proof box, across in front of spares. It has tie down eyes for strapping on firewood. In front of this box, neatly fitting on a floor between the A frames, is a purpose built dust-proof box for the Lemair washing machine. The 3 jerry can holders are to the sides and front of the washing machine box.The box lifts off of the top of the Lemair, (using 2 pull down toggle latches), so we use the machine without lifting it off.

You can see photos of these if you go to Pictures....Tellem Bugrem.

The set up makes a ball weight of exactly 300kg, (including 2 nights firewood and 3 full jerry cans) which suits our 3 tonne GTM 19 footer. We also use a weight distribution hitch, (without moving jockey wheel), as well as air bags in the rear coils of the LC100.

Having said all this, we made the A-Frame decision based on "flexibility", and have not regretted it.

Cheers..........Rob and Liz
AnswerID: 569352

Follow Up By: Bush Bratz - Thursday, Sep 21, 2006 at 18:27

Thursday, Sep 21, 2006 at 18:27
This is addressed to Tellem Bugrem--would you please supply details of the "purpose built dust proof box" and how you have it set up on the A frame.
My wife is looking at putting a Lemair inside the van - I prefer outside!
Cheers, Alan
FollowupID: 846334

Reply By: NIK `N` OFF - Wednesday, Sep 20, 2006 at 04:06

Wednesday, Sep 20, 2006 at 04:06
We have opted for the 300mm extended drawbar, I have a question, has anyone had treadmesh fitted to the A Frame prior to it being hot dipped Galv'd?

Cheers
Mick & Vickie

AnswerID: 569353

Our Sponsors