Warning on purchasing via the net

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 30, 2006 at 00:46
ThreadID: 122959 Views:3524 Replies:0 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

well today the Ranger and i have been doing some detective work on a deal for a F250 that was too good to be true.

I spotted this vehicle for sale on the net at a price of $27k, it straight away rang alarm bells in my head but i thought what the heck, you hear about these scorned wifes who sell hubbys car at a bargain price to pee him off. I sent an email telling him of my suspicions and received one back stating that all was above board and just wanted to sell the car. I did a REVS check and alarm bell rang again when the department could not verify the vehicle even existed.

I decided not to pursue it certain it was a scam,

Enter the Ranger, I was telling Steve about it and he also made some enquiries, seems the advert was duplicated with two different prices both ridiculously cheap and phone numbers that went to two different professional firms who knew nothing about it, one firm received 6 fax's from prospective purchasers. The seller was asking for a 10% deposit through a 3rd party - EBay

Now all this is a warning to be aware that purchasing over the net can be risky, It got up my nose so i rang our local police, and I just had a call from the WA Motor Fraud squad and the detective was interested enough he said that these types generally mirror image a site like EBay to make it look legit, he was passing all the info on to the NT & NSW police, maybe nothing can be done but i feel better at least alerting this scam to them.

Cheers
Mick

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Our Sponsors