Aussie Truck Mirrors

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 08, 2006 at 05:35
ThreadID: 122979 Views:7683 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 100 series Landcruiser and am looking to fit Aussie Truck Mirrors. I have tried to fit them and the gap under the door makes it a very tight fit. So much so that it appears that the metal part of the fitting that goes under the door would rub the paint work of the sill. Has anyone with a 100 Series Landcruiser fitted these mirrors? If so is there any problem with the fit under the door.
Regards
Ken
Ken and Aileen

Going walkabout - about time.

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: NIK `N` OFF - Sunday, Oct 08, 2006 at 06:22

Sunday, Oct 08, 2006 at 06:22
Hi K&A

Had a set on my 100, and just fitted a set that the purchaser bought to put on my cruiser he bought of me and both sets fitted the car fine.

I was concerned about the window rubber seal being squashed but after using a set for 4 months and removing them within a day the seal had gone back to its usual shape and was hard to detect a mirror had even been fitted.

Cheers
M&V

AnswerID: 569495

Reply By: Wally's a Bushie - Monday, Oct 16, 2006 at 08:13

Monday, Oct 16, 2006 at 08:13
I struggled with fitting mirrors to my nice shiny new Tojo and ended up fitting A rear view as well as two side view cameras to the BT.
This works well and (in my opinion) would be totally legal.
I have kept the original mirrors on the 'Cruiser.
Having now covered about 7,000km with this set up I can find no problems apart from the fact that the cameras chosen for the side view are possibly a little too wide angle and it is difficult to judge distance, but in reality by the time you lose sight of the overtaking vehicle in the rear view camera you can clearly see them in the standard 'Cruiser mirrors.
Dust ingress into the trailer connection is a problem which I am yet to conquor, the dust causes the camera image to flicker then the multiplexor (the gadget to create the multiple pictures in the display) resets and beeps until you wiggle the plug.
Works for me!
AnswerID: 569496

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Monday, Oct 16, 2006 at 20:06

Monday, Oct 16, 2006 at 20:06
Wally,

I retired from the Victoria Police Force 6 years ago and having spent a number of years in the traffic branch, issued a number penalty notices to drivers towing caravans without having prescribed mirrors.

I don't believe the laws have changed, where any vehicle that had the interior rear view mirror obscrured by a load, had to have external mirrors on both sides that gave a clear view to the rear. The rear being BEHIND the vehicle, not just to side towards the rear.

The test that police did then was to stand at each corner of the caravan and ask the driver to tell us how many fingers were being held up, or to have them stand at the rear corners of their caravan and ask if they could see their cars mirror from that point. We knew that they couldn't and they were then issued with the penalty notice for not having prescribed mirrors.

Cameras all appear to have a wide angle that gives a distorted view over a distance and does not show up vehicles clear enough when they are say 100 to 150 metres behind. That vehicle may be a police car with lights flashing but you wouldn't know it until they were right behind the van.

I am making this post because I don't believe that cameras to the rear take away the requirement to have correct rear view mirrors as above and anyone relying on a camera will probably end up with a penalty notice at some stage.

Some legal opinions say that rear view cameras can ONLY be used while in reverse, and not in forward motion.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 846448

Reply By: Whatsnew01 - Thursday, Oct 19, 2006 at 04:01

Thursday, Oct 19, 2006 at 04:01
I have a set of vision plus clip on mirrors and are great. My mirrors have a webbing belt that clips under the bottom of the door and then is tightened up on the mirror arm to keep the mirror taut. I believe the aussie truck mirrors are very similar. Be careful after driving on dusty road or after driving through rain. Dust and grit collects in between the clip and the window. If you auto down the window you will hear the window being scratched all the way down. I learnt the hard way and now think twice before I lower the windows. I loosen the belt and pull them a little away from the glass before I lower window and remove. Also don't auto down window with mirrors attached while driving along. The window goes past the clip and it comes loose to the point of possibly losing it. Again I learn the hard way as it cut the rubber seal.

Roy
AnswerID: 569497

Reply By: Gamma and Grumps - Tuesday, Oct 24, 2006 at 07:45

Tuesday, Oct 24, 2006 at 07:45
Hi
I have bought and fitted the Aussie Truck Mirrors and have just done a nine day ( 900 km ) trip in our new bushtracker. The mirrors do fit OK and worked well. I also have a rear camera on the van and Toyota with the monitor on the rear vision mirror. I have found this monitor very difficult to see as you look through the mirror with all its reflections. It also distorts distances and I could not use it as the sole source of looking behind. Maybe our camera is not set up properly and I am going to get checked. But if it is as good as it gets then it is pretty useless. I would be interested to hear how others find their reversing cameras.
Thanks for the replies
Ken
Ken and Aileen

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 569498

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Oct 24, 2006 at 22:04

Tuesday, Oct 24, 2006 at 22:04
Ken,
We have an overhead consol and our rear view screen folds down from that directly in front of the mirror and gives a clear view of what is behind close up but distorts over a distance due to wide angle of the lens.

Another tip for those with the mirrors that have a clip under the door and a pad that sits on the paint work about half way up. We found that this pad was marking the paint on our 100 series, so I obtained some magnetic sign tape that was larger than the pad and fixed that to the door then the pad rubbed on that. No more paint damage after that.

Brian

FollowupID: 846449

Follow Up By: Gamma and Grumps - Wednesday, Oct 25, 2006 at 15:10

Wednesday, Oct 25, 2006 at 15:10
Brian
Thanks for the reply. Could you please give me the name of the drop down screen you are using and who supplies them
Regards
Ken
Ken and Aileen

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 846450

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, Oct 25, 2006 at 20:10

Wednesday, Oct 25, 2006 at 20:10
Our screen is labelled "NESA" TFT Mobile Colour Monitor" and was supplied by Sound In Motion.

The actual screen is 120mm by 90mm and the base plate that it folds up into is 200mm square.

Brian

FollowupID: 846451

Reply By: The paca people - Wednesday, Oct 25, 2006 at 07:59

Wednesday, Oct 25, 2006 at 07:59
Hi Brian, Keith and others,

With regard to magnetic pads or sign "sheets", we have been using these for 11 years with our alpaca signs on our various vehicles.
However one must remove the magnetic pads (and, in our case with wide "wingspan" magnetic base towing mirrors, the mirrors too) at about monthly intervals and wash and dry the vehicle doors and magnetic surface to remove grit.
Yes, grit it does work its way in, particularly in the iron ore country in NorthWest of W.A. where you, Brian, were last year.
Despite the above (well, because of NOT firmly adhering to the "rule"), we now have areas of scuffed paint on the Patrol's doors following two Pilbara trips.

Cheers from Martin B
AnswerID: 569499

Our Sponsors