Pictures of Custom Finish on Fords, Courtesy Lone Ranger...

Submitted: Monday, Oct 09, 2006 at 19:27
ThreadID: 122983 Views:3513 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Well, I went out and did it big time... A lot of none Ford Owners have some negative things to say, when you run into one of them, show them this Posting...

The Weight is far overcome by the Power available. And the length of wheelbase can mean that one end is out of the bog pushing through while the other end is in the poo caused by shorter wheelbase vehicles... I was flat dragging diffs and axles plowing mud two feet deep to see what the new Fords were trully capable of off road. I have done similar tests with Landcruisers with full diff-locks front and rear, pushing them to the extreme. Since my own Ford has the same set up, I pushed it through the swamp "Mud Hog" routine to the limits.. It was impressive:

I would say that first of all, I have massive confidence in the Ford now, (WITH MUD TERRAINS) and Diff-Locks... Don't go mud running without, obviously... But I might point out one thing once again, per TIP # 57, WATCH OUT FOR THE OVERSTEER/ UNDERSTEER in front diff-locks... I did my own Boo-Boo that I have warned you about. Never mind it was a bit of a funeral wake for a lost friend and I had a couple of glasses of wine, I was caught by the overswing of front diff-locks that throws you off a bit... Learn from this!!!

While it is an ABSOLUTE BEAST, I did the once every 10 years big stupid and swung wide in the mud to ding up my bed behind the wheel taking out a wooden post... OH Well, I wanted to find a Utility Bed with tool boxes down each side anyway!!! In the final note, if any of you doubt the capabilities of the Ford in the mud, it is awesome with the power in reserve, and four rooster tails of mud. If you venture down a cattle track, through the false river channels of a river in the dry season, way out the back of the black stump, and it starts the rainy season early; this kind of equipment is the only way you get out.. Mind you, most people would never venture out that far exploring off the dirt tracks following cattle tracks along rivers and such into unknown territory, but the lone Ranger thrives on this.... Either on horses, or horsepower in Iron Horses..

(For all the Greenies, yes this was on private property, in an approved area, radda dadda dadda....) Ha!

Ranger
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker - Wednesday, Oct 11, 2006 at 19:45

Wednesday, Oct 11, 2006 at 19:45
Boy,
You have to do the once every so many years big stoopid.... I had forgotton how much fun it is to wash out 100-200 kilos of mud stuck in big clumps underneath...!!!

I should have taken a picture of the flat shovel work, shoveling off the driveway into the garden... I need a good river to drive through back and forth a few times to do it for me... Ha! In the 70's we had a good beach to drive on, and a nice river that cleaned out the sand and salt on the way home... Good ole days... Ha!

Regards, Ranger
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 569505

Our Sponsors