I'm going nuts and losing the battle!!!

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 17, 2006 at 07:57
ThreadID: 122993 Views:4820 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

Can anyone help? I'm going nuts and losing the battle.

We park the BT out in the open here at the Batchelor Outdoor Education Unit and the meat ants have found their way up the wheels and then up the sink and basin.
Put the plugs in and replaced the stockings on the outlets, this stopped the meat ants.
But two days later I looked up and saw the little tiny brown ants walking across the ceiling and collecting around the CD/DVD player, then moving up and along towards the ensuite but disappearing at the top of the shower door. I then went outside the van and there the little devils were, marching up the front of the van and obviously finding a miniscule gap in the sheeting.
Can't find where they are going and have a mindless fear that they have taken up residence in the walls.
In recent years we discovered this same type of ant in the engine of the car and they were enjoying the taste of the wiring!!
Also noticed at the same time that even when the 4seasons hatch is closed I can see daylight and there is a buildup of red dust around the hatch and on the screens.
Hoping someone has an answer that will dissuade me using a shotgun inside the van!!
Prue
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Keith & Joan - Tuesday, Oct 17, 2006 at 15:10

Tuesday, Oct 17, 2006 at 15:10
Hi Prue, I was reading some information the other day about a product called "BIO MAGIC' on their web site. ( www.biomagic.com.au) and one of the things they say is that it kills ants on contact, but more importantly it destroys their scent trails, so they get lost and can't find their way home. Bio Magic is a product that is used in caravan and portable toilets to stop the smells, and it works very well. Maybe you have some on board already? My suggestion is to spray this around wherever you think there might be ants, and it might persuade them to move house. If nothing else you will have a perfect smelling van, with no odours whatsoever. I do not know your location, but there is a list of outlets Australia wide on their web site. It might appear to be an expensive product at first glance, but you do not need much of it to do the job, so it lasts a long time. Have a read of their web site and see what you think. Best of luck, Keith & Joan.
AnswerID: 569529

Follow Up By: Keith & Joan - Tuesday, Oct 17, 2006 at 15:17

Tuesday, Oct 17, 2006 at 15:17
Sorry Prue, that web site should have been www.biomagic.com
there is no AU after it. Keith & Joan.
FollowupID: 846465

Follow Up By: Fosssil - Tuesday, Oct 17, 2006 at 18:28

Tuesday, Oct 17, 2006 at 18:28
Here are some dealers and the Aussie website works fine K&J
fosss

www.biomagic.com.au/dealers.htm

www.biomagic.com.au/
FollowupID: 846466

Follow Up By: Fosssil - Tuesday, Oct 17, 2006 at 18:56

Tuesday, Oct 17, 2006 at 18:56
Hi K&J,
Problem with your link is the bracket at the end of the link...all is well for Aussies...
regards
fosss
FollowupID: 846467

Reply By: Two Doo - Wednesday, Oct 18, 2006 at 00:10

Wednesday, Oct 18, 2006 at 00:10
Greetings to Jaunty Jordans from TwoDoo, If the dust seal around /under the FOur Seasons hatch is a problem, have a thick piece of foam cut to fit into the space between the bottom lip of the hatch apperture and the top. This is about 5 inches thick and pushes up well. The dust seal, when on the road or when dusty in a camp is excellent, costs $5-10. The ants/bugs do not seem to like it. The top can be sprayed with a surface bug killer, keeping the residual clear of the edge that touches the Bushtrackersurface, and avoiding discolouration of the "roof" surface.
Warwick.
AnswerID: 569530

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Wednesday, Oct 18, 2006 at 02:04

Wednesday, Oct 18, 2006 at 02:04
Many people seem to put flour all around the contact points from ground to van - don't know if this works but a lot of people use it (and don't destroys the outlines when they leave)

I had some stuff called 'Bug Cruncher' came from a horticultural supply shop. this worked very well. This sort of stuff the supermarkets will not generally stock. For stronger stuff - use carefully - try the farm supply shops or horticultural outlets.

Regards

John and Jean
AnswerID: 569531

Reply By: Suncoasters - Wednesday, Oct 18, 2006 at 06:44

Wednesday, Oct 18, 2006 at 06:44
Hi guys,

I don't know about flour but we use talcum powder from the $2 shops sprinkled around all contact points and never have a problem with ants in the van.

David
AnswerID: 569532

Follow Up By: Mobi Condo - Wednesday, Oct 18, 2006 at 08:26

Wednesday, Oct 18, 2006 at 08:26
Yep - can vouch for that one!
BUT! How to remove said critters should they successfully get into where ever! Yikes!
Cheers - Ian & Sally
FollowupID: 846468

Follow Up By: Suncoasters - Wednesday, Oct 18, 2006 at 08:31

Wednesday, Oct 18, 2006 at 08:31
Just a squirt or two with ordinary fly spray over a couple of days has always done the job for us in the past.
Regards
David
FollowupID: 846469

Reply By: Bushtracker - Wednesday, Oct 18, 2006 at 19:53

Wednesday, Oct 18, 2006 at 19:53
I was in a flood once, and had a nest move into my Mitsubishi Horse Truck Cab years ago... Boric acid, a white powder, old fashion cocky insecticide, seems to work.

Should be readily available in country sorts of stores. Touted as a "Natural Pesticide".

Regards, Ranger..
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 569533

Reply By: Taj Mah Tracker - Wednesday, Oct 18, 2006 at 20:00

Wednesday, Oct 18, 2006 at 20:00
Hi there,
Once we had this problem with ants establishing a nest above and at the back of the fridge, quite an inaccessible area.
We were lucky in that the type of ant was attracted to "ant rid" we brought from the supermarket, it wiped them out in a little over 24 hours.
Unfortunately it does not work with all ant types.
Cheers
Ian
AnswerID: 569534

Reply By: Silver and Tinks - Thursday, Oct 19, 2006 at 03:20

Thursday, Oct 19, 2006 at 03:20
WE also use powder around the wheels
but also use the ant rid traps inside the van which is the same as you would do at your fixed house normally about 4 is enough.

Scott & Jacky
AnswerID: 569535

Our Sponsors