TIP # 126 NOTE, MAJOR ISSUE WITH GVM, YOU MAY NOT HAVE THOUGHT OF….

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 24, 2006 at 02:56
ThreadID: 123001 Views:4198 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Yes, some of us like ALL the toys… And some of us with “Effies” are really carrying toooo much, (no names mentioned).. Boats, toys, tools, all the fun stuff in a canopy on the back with boat loader and tinnie on top… Yea right… OK. Me too... Because we have the extra room, it is only human to fill it up with toys!!

But the talk of late amongst some of our 100 or so Effie Owners, is about upgrading your GVM to 5000. It can easily be done, one of our Boggers is having it done in Caloundra in a couple of weeks… HOWEVER THERE IS A CATCH: I just found out today, the cutoff, as I was Registering my new American Built F-350 King Ranch Dually Crew Cab 4x4 with a 6000 GVM, in amongst all the OOooooos and Ahhhaaaaaass and wwwoooooowwwws.... Was that the OVER 4500 KG GVM AND YOU ARE 0.00 ALCOHOL LEVEL….!!! And then I realized many of you might not know about this, so I have delayed this weeks TIP to Post this advice...

Just a word to the wise from the Ranger, if you look heavy, and you are heavy; if you look heavy and they check you whether you are legal with your GVM upgrade or not, if you blow the bag they are going to NAB YOU for D.U.I. At least they can and probably will…. Particularly if you look heavy and loaded and they put you over the scales like just out of Stanthorpe where I saw portable scales on the NSW border!! You might be coming out of a wine tasting area like Stanthorpe and get nabbed. If you are over your GVM AND over you limit, you could be in for BIG trouble…!!! And there are insurance implications as well....

So friends, the Ranger is just trying to look after you, and you might now want to know you ARE driving a 0.00 alcohol blood limit vehicle if you weigh over 4500 kg… Whether you know it or not!

Be careful out there, da Ranger sez……

"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Oct 24, 2006 at 22:10

Tuesday, Oct 24, 2006 at 22:10
Steve,
When the GVM is upgraded, does Queensland Transport also upgrade the combined weight from that what Ford has specified on a standard vehicle.

I know that most manufacturers will give a GVM of say 3000kgs and a Towing capacity of say 3500kgs, but the combined gross weight of vehicle and load is usually much less than adding GVM & Tow capacity together, say about 6100kgs.

Has anyone with an F250 and a 4500kg tow bar, had their Combined weight increased above what Ford specified, which from memory was about 7200 kgs?

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 569544

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Tuesday, Oct 24, 2006 at 22:57

Tuesday, Oct 24, 2006 at 22:57
Brian,
I have built a number of 'Custom" vehicles. When you significantly alter the suspension or configuration of a vehicle, and get an Independent Transport approved Engineer to write a Mod ticket for it (the kinds that do truck bodies and 6x6 and suspension upgrades) then you have the ability to have your vehicle re-registered as a "Custom Landcruiser".... At that point you can have a higher GCM as well with a sympathetic Engineer.

I have done that with a Cruiser, both on GVM and GCM on the small end of size of vehicles. I have also done it on the big end of tow vehicles and there are about four Modification Plates affixed to my Mack. One of them increases the Hitch strength in the back to 12 tonne. This was a custom built heavy frame between the chassis members, with a Ring Feeder Socket from a wreck. The Engineer from the Tow Truck Builder down the road had a look at it, wanted a few bolts increased to the next size, then wrote the Mod Plate for a 12 Tonne Tow capacity. Then MACK Compliance Engineers, also wrote me a letter and affixed their own plate, upgrading my GCM to 24 Tonnes.

These are just examples, the short of it is that don't take "no" for an answer, go to another Custom Truck or Body Builder that is Licensed to do Modification Plates, that is willing. You can probably upgrade you GVM and your GCM, and they justify it with your Custom Truck now that has the suspension or brake upgrades to suit. Some will do it with no upgrades as in the 80 Series from 2500 to 3500 kg. On some vehicles they need the springs and shackles upgraded or brakes upgraded, but that is the extreme and any way it can be done. It is done all the time at places that build Safari or Tour Buses or 6 wheelers.

But also, I have not heard of anyone enforcing GCM issues with the smaller vehicles. Only the Medium Rigid Class and above, have the Gross Combined Mass looked at. So far no one seems to really be enforcing or even know about GCM in smaller rigs, and a lot of them do not even list a GCM, only a GVM and a Manufacturers towing capacity... It is not like the Big Rig stuff....

Reasonable............. Ranger

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 846473

Reply By: Andy1 - Wednesday, Oct 25, 2006 at 03:33

Wednesday, Oct 25, 2006 at 03:33
Steve

Since fitting Air Bags I have made a number of attempts to upgrade GVM. Can you supply name/details of Engineer.

Andy
AnswerID: 569545

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Wednesday, Oct 25, 2006 at 18:03

Wednesday, Oct 25, 2006 at 18:03
Sorry Andy,
I just do not know, except that the non-Bogger mentioned it... I tell you what, he will be in here in the next two weeks and I will make a point of asking...

However, it can probably be done anywhere in Oz, in a medium sized city and up. I would not travel all the way to Caboolture just for that, unless you are local....

It might be a Custom Coach Builder, I think there is one called Caboolture Coach and Body from years ago. Their outside Engineer did my stretched Troop Carrier, and they still exit, but I don't know if they changed the name... Do a search on www.yellowpage.com.au for something like Coach and Body Builders for Caboolture. Should find it with a little look.

Best Regards, Ranger

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 846474

Follow Up By: Andy1 - Wednesday, Oct 25, 2006 at 19:09

Wednesday, Oct 25, 2006 at 19:09
Thanks Steve,

I would certainly appreciate the name. I have tried a number of places in the Sunshine Coast area, so far to no avail. As we live at Tannum Sands the Sunshine Coast is handy enough.

Andy
FollowupID: 846475

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Saturday, Oct 28, 2006 at 01:06

Saturday, Oct 28, 2006 at 01:06
Andy,
The person in question, (no names, non-Bogger) came by today.... And it is a no go, you will have to search one out for yourself. He is going back to Melbourne to find one in his area. So I am sorry but I am no help to you, except to say IT CAN BE DONE..

But the point of this thread was that when you do, you are a 0.00 alcohol driver...!! He did not see this Posting, not being on the BOG... And was Stunned as he has a heavy truck License. Needless to say he was thrilled to get the Tip, had not occurred to him!

Good Luck, just to let you know I did not forget you.. Regards, Ranger...

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 846476

Reply By: Pal & Sop - Thursday, Oct 26, 2006 at 05:57

Thursday, Oct 26, 2006 at 05:57
I will add my 5 cents worth...
The GVM of a standard 2005 7.3 dual cab effie is 4173kg. In NSW, if you raise that to over 4500kg you will need a truck licence (probably a good idea anyway) and as Steve said you come under the zero alchohol rules and you are limited to 100 km/h even when not towing.

The GCM of the effie is 9071kg which you can drive on a car licence in NSW, however as you are all aware you are limited to 100 km/h max even in 110 km/h zone, in NSW when towing your BT.

Regards
AnswerID: 569546

Our Sponsors