Build up in the Thetford Top Tank

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 24, 2006 at 04:26
ThreadID: 123002 Views:4560 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hey has any one else experienced a nasty black greasy sludgey build up in their top tank in the Thetford toilet? (BOB NO!!! Do not have a dig at Easy's habits!)
We were on site in Kal for about 21 months, and always have used the correct chemical mix for the top tank, but when we moved and were on the road, there was the MOST awful black sludge being pumped through the system each and every time we flushed! Me thinks that this build up has sat for the whole time only to be stirred up by the motion of traveling. It goes away once we have stopped for a few days, and then as soon as we get going again, back it comes!
Any hints on how to get rid of it? I was thinking of putting a bleach solution in the water for a while to see if that fixed it.
Cheers from Jan O
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Oct 24, 2006 at 04:36

Tuesday, Oct 24, 2006 at 04:36
Jan,
The easiest way to get rid of most of it is to open the small yellow plastic drain plug in the fill spout that folds out.
Then go inside the van and remove the toilet roll holder by holding the outside rim and lifting it up. You then have access to the flush water storage tank.

When the water in the tank has drained out, use a hose with a bit of pressure squirt water around inside the tank, and after a few flushes most of the black will have been flushed out.

We then put some Bi Carb Soda in ours and it seemed to help.

We then stopped using chemicals in the toilet and that also seemed to help, as we have very little in it now.

I think regular flushing of the system is the key to keeping it clear.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 569547

Reply By: Flipp'n Lorry - Tuesday, Oct 24, 2006 at 18:10

Tuesday, Oct 24, 2006 at 18:10
We never leave water in the flushing unit when the van is not being used this stopped it... when we clean the van after a trip we also empty flushing tank as well.
Lorraine
AnswerID: 569548

Reply By: F Troop - Wednesday, Oct 25, 2006 at 03:28

Wednesday, Oct 25, 2006 at 03:28
Hi Jan n Easy,
We found it was an alge, did as Brian said, then we put pineoclean in the top tank instead of the pink stuff, no more black bits and it smells good as well as cheap.
You usualy have a bottle of pineoclean in the van so one less bottle to carry.We fill through the roll holder a splash of pineo and back in buissiness.

Graham.
AnswerID: 569549

Reply By: Tassie Bushies - Saturday, Oct 28, 2006 at 20:13

Saturday, Oct 28, 2006 at 20:13
Hi Rockgoc.
No Problems whatsoever with BIO MAGIC since day one.
Regards Peter.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 569550

Reply By: Rockgoc - Saturday, Oct 28, 2006 at 23:30

Saturday, Oct 28, 2006 at 23:30
Well, there ya go! Ask and ye shall be told. Many thanks to all of you who replied. We live in the van full time and so this was always going to be an issue when we moved. Easy has the lid off it and is investigating as I write...he gets all the good jobs!
Happily ensconced in Newman at the moment...Easy loving the heat, me just coping....both working flat out and saving for the vehicle upgrade.......Change of thread for a moment.......Message to .F-Troop,......Graham, Easy wants to know where Conrad got his Dodge Ram from? Just reading about the new F250 apparently not coming to Australia............over to you.
Cheers from Jan o
AnswerID: 569551

Follow Up By: F Troop - Sunday, Oct 29, 2006 at 03:44

Sunday, Oct 29, 2006 at 03:44
Hi Jan,
Sorry, but Graham can't help with any details re the Dodge Ram. Only suggestion is to click on the link on the right side of this page, for Tornado Dust Devil as that is Conrad's son in law and they will be able to give you his details.
I've been keeping up with your website and it was good to hear that you both hit the road again (if only to move up to another mining town). We just may be headed that way again next year so we will definately try to catch up with you. I'm sure you would both love to see how much Diesel has grown.......... little devil.
Well, hopefully your loo has been cleaned out by now (and hopefully not too much grunting and moaning from Easy).
Bye for now
Jan
FollowupID: 846477

Our Sponsors