Midgee screens. How can door & four season hatch be screened off?

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 28, 2006 at 01:35
ThreadID: 123011 Views:4482 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I have been interested in changing the fly screens in our van to the finer mesh Midgee Screens for some time, but had been put off by people saying that they cut down the air flow too much. On numerous occasions on our last trip we had tiny insects enter the van at night attracked by the light and drop down over the table while we were having a meal.
Well again while in Melbourne, our friends with the Trakmaster had changed all their window screens to finer Midgee screens so I was able to compare our standard screens with their Midgee screens and we were both of the opinion that the air flow was only reduced by 5 to 10% so while travelling through Brisbane last week we stopped in at Camec and Ordered Midgee screens to be made for all the windows.

If anyone else is considering doing so, could I suggest that you call at your local screen door and fly screen manufacturer and purchase a couple of metres of Midgee screen mesh and then install it into your screen door. You will then be able to compare the difference yourself without going to any expense on the windows. The screen door fly screen is secured by the push in rubber seal so it is very easy to install.

The problem that I have now is the same as Neil Matthews has, HOW do you cover the gaps around the 3 locking points of the Camec screen door when the outside main door is open. The small insects seem to make their way for these gaps as that is where the most light is.

The other thing I haven't solved yet is the four season Hatch other than closing the vents at night over the existing screens.

Has anyone else gone down this path or have any ideas of how to cover these areas?

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker - Saturday, Oct 28, 2006 at 01:41

Saturday, Oct 28, 2006 at 01:41
I have puzzles this one for twelve years... Home made.?? Buy the material, sew a hem, with velcro on it. Then attach sticky back velcro surrounding the area.... And done, when you want it, off when not... ??

You could make up new screens for the four seasons hatch, using glued on screen materia; and put a new splined in one in the door. But then you would have some air flow loss when the midgee screen was not needed. I might think about the velcro if I was to do it... For the variable choice? But then that is just my solution...

Ranger, been down this track more than a few times...

"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 569578

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Saturday, Oct 28, 2006 at 22:11

Saturday, Oct 28, 2006 at 22:11
Hi Brian and Margaret,

We have 50% of our screens on midgee mesh - factory installed. All arounf the bedroom and the rear screen.

If the little blighters are bad (particularly the WA sand fly) we shut the standard window screens down. Next time we pass by a Camec place we will get the rest of the windows done.

I think your estimate of 5 -10% reduction in airflow nis pretty spot on. Not enough to worry us - I would rather do without the bugs. They hover around the bedside reading light - only to drop onto you face when you switch the light out. Grhh....

No solutions to you other entry points other than trying a velcro attachment.

Cheers

John and Jean
AnswerID: 569579

Reply By: Boystoy - Monday, Oct 30, 2006 at 04:46

Monday, Oct 30, 2006 at 04:46
Hi Brian & Margaret,

Pity you hadn't seen our van when we were in your area a few days ago.
I made up a screen for the hatch with the furry side of the velcro all round the screen.
I then stuck on 10 small squares of hooks around the opening. When attached, the furry velcro almost completely seals the space between the squares, & the bugs don't get in up there.
Simple to make & install when needed.

Neil & Pat
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

AnswerID: 569580

Follow Up By: Mobi Condo - Monday, Oct 30, 2006 at 05:48

Monday, Oct 30, 2006 at 05:48
Hello Boystoy,
Sounds "The Ants Pants" Or - please excuse me - "The Migees Widgees" :-)
Any chance of some pics? Please!
Cheers - Ian & Sally
FollowupID: 846501

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Monday, Oct 30, 2006 at 22:06

Monday, Oct 30, 2006 at 22:06
Neil,

I take it that what you have done is a square mesh that sits horizontally across the base of the four seasons hatch, not over each of the 4 hatches like the original screens do.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

FollowupID: 846502

Follow Up By: Boystoy - Wednesday, Nov 01, 2006 at 08:36

Wednesday, Nov 01, 2006 at 08:36
Hi Brian,

Yes this is exactly what I have done. Simple & works well

Ian & Sally,

When I get back home, & when I figure out how to post photos, I will Put this and a few other ideas on the BOG site.

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

FollowupID: 846503

Reply By: Luvntravln - Saturday, Nov 11, 2006 at 07:13

Saturday, Nov 11, 2006 at 07:13
Hi

We were in Bunbury - now in Bridgetown at the Blues Festival - at Koombana CP (great park) with Bill and Cherylynn Trivillian (they have the 18' with the hugh leather recliners - hehe) and they changed over all of their window screens, bought and installed midgee material over the door and over the individual four seasons hatches and said very little reduction in air flow and the bugs are eliminated.

To simplify matters in obtaining the screens, since BT has a file on each van Peter is able to identify each of the windows and ordered a complete set for them.

We are doing the same.

Neil's idea of a single square of material to solve the Four Seasons hatch is a great solution. Glad the idea is not patented!

Cheers, Luvntravln
AnswerID: 569581

Our Sponsors