Boat on 100 Series Landcruiser

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 28, 2006 at 07:53
ThreadID: 123014 Views:5679 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
We have a 100 series Landcruiser and we wish to carry as big a Tinnie as possible on the roof of the Landcruiser on a Rhino loader. I have been told that the maximum weight allowed is 75 kg and the maximum width is 1500mm.
The biggest tinnie that I can find that has these specifications is a Makocraft 3.75 Topper Tracker.
If anyone knows of any other boats that fit the above specs, or if anyone has successfully carried a bigger boat over all sorts of roads I would be gratefull to hear of it.
Regards
Ken
Ken and Aileen

Going walkabout - about time.

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Saturday, Oct 28, 2006 at 17:45

Saturday, Oct 28, 2006 at 17:45
We have a Stessl Edgetracker 370 Vagabond that weighs around the 70 to 75 kgs as a bare boat and carry it on a Rhino Rack.
I think it is Rhino that says 75 kgs is the maximum weight to carry on their rack, but we have fitted a 6mm marine ply floor in ours and keep the paddles, life jackets and fire extinguisher permanently in the boat so we now have about 100 kgs of boat and equipment and the Rhino rack handles it perfectly.

The Edgetracker because of its hull design is a very stable boat and well worth considering.

The Rhino rack has to be 100 mm wider than the boat and as such often protrudes past the body of the vehicle, so you don't want to go too wide anyway.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 569589

Reply By: Gamma and Grumps - Saturday, Oct 28, 2006 at 18:38

Saturday, Oct 28, 2006 at 18:38
Hi Brian
You have a F250 dont you? I think some of the reason for a 75kg limit on a 100 series is the way the Rhino bars are attached to the roof. They have no gutters and are attached to three points on each side which are some distance from the side of the vehicle. I think the Rhino rack would carry more as you have proven but I believe the limitation is in the mounting to the 100 series. Thanks for the reply.
Regards
Ken
Ken and Aileen

Going walkabout - about time.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 569590

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Saturday, Oct 28, 2006 at 21:20

Saturday, Oct 28, 2006 at 21:20
Ours is on the fibre glass roof section of the F250 canopy only, but I recall the supplier saying that the rack had a 75 kg limit.

As we had a 100 Series I think your mounting points on the Landcruiser would be stronger than what we have.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 846512

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Saturday, Oct 28, 2006 at 20:39

Saturday, Oct 28, 2006 at 20:39
G'day Ken and Aileen,

We have an LC 100 V8 with a 3 bar Toyota roof rack, and carry a Bermuda 310 on a KISS home made loader which is a lightweight ladder with a small boat trailer hand winch clipped on to the bull bar. The bow of the boat is only a few mm above the windscreen, and acts as a wind foil, giving us about 3l/100k better fuel consumption than without the tinnie on top.

The rollers consist of 2 x 30mm dia white PVC pipes which slip over the ends of a 3/4" gal pipe. The pipe, which I carry in a 100mm PVC pipe tube on the rack (with 4 aluminum tent poles), slides through the last rung of the ladder. The Honda fuel tank also sits up on top of the ladder, between the boat's transom and rear seat. Also on top[ of the ladder and under the bow, are life jackets, 3 opera house traps and 2 crab traps, a landing net, and two plastic oars.

I've got no idea of the weight, but we have had no problems with a fully rigged trip down the Murray, source-to-sea in 04, and Cape York in 06.

We have noticed rust in the toyota roof rack bolts so we are replacing them with ss bolts. Wouldn't you think Toyota could have done that simple thing?

good luck............Rob and Liz.

PS ..I can load/unload the boat faster than any $2000+ manufactured loader/rack.
AnswerID: 569591

Reply By: NIK `N` OFF - Sunday, Oct 29, 2006 at 06:47

Sunday, Oct 29, 2006 at 06:47
Toyota rate the roof loading at 150kg, there is talk out there that a 75kg limit will come into force.

On my 100 i used a Jarram ally full length roof rack that comes with steel legs bolted on, best of both worlds, strength where you need it and light. I made two cross bars and fitted them with blue poly boat slide, the 3.45mt tinny 65kg i used to just lift it up and slide it on no problems, plenty of room on the rack for the other associated boat stuff.

A good mate has a rhino on his 100 and loads a 3.5mt stessl tinny on top, again no problems.

I wouldnt go any larger than 3.7mt personally. Stessle edgetracker very good boat but check the welds some seem to have been done by the apprentice.

Regarding the 100 series mounting points check that the bolts that have been used have a sealent on them
AnswerID: 569592

Our Sponsors