TIP # 128 New Air Conditioning Options for Larger Vans….

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 07, 2006 at 03:48
ThreadID: 123040 Views:3661 Replies:0 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hello Friends. Now this is particular to larger vans in hot weather… But I invented it because in the horse shows in January, even here in S.E. Qld, on van over 20’ with Kids going in and out the standard roof top air unit we use will have a little trouble keeping up…

Without divulging too much of our R&D here on the Public Forum, (that is what the Owners Forum is for, and the fun camping areas and travel guides, and Members sharing….); anyway there are now some alternatives for air conditioning to get added performance. Yes, there is one Brand that stands up on the corrugation head and shoulders above the rest… But anyway it struggles to keep up in the really hot weather when you have a van over 20’ or 21’. We now have some “Boosters” to add in. One under the bunk model that has worked really well, and one split air unit.

The main idea and advantage is that you turn on the Booster to help you through a really hot period. There are however some added advantages like you have the option of just running the ½ sized air unit at night, shutting the main one off. Or running the half sized Booster unit when you are on a generator and want the additional power reserves for something else… Or, you have a backup, incase you have a problem with the main unit; (mind you we get very few failures with the main unit except an occasional thermostat…) Any way, there are some additional choices!!

This is primarily for those that feel the main air conditioning unit is just wanting a bit on vans from about 21’ or 22’ and up. Most people (although we have done it) do not want a second roof top unit. We now have some alternates. My unit has run flawlessly for going on two years now, in my 22’ van. It does have a heat mode as well, and when on 240 power and there is frost on the ground, I have run them both on the heat cycle instead of the Webasto. But the primary beauty of it is that it has a good cooling cycle and capacity, enough to do the job of a booster or backup unit.

In Summary, there are now some alternates that get the stamp of approval. Going to really hot places and want the latitude of an auxiliary unit?

Come in and talk with the Ranger, we are here to help…

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Our Sponsors