Computer Spy Ware

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 12, 2006 at 07:34
ThreadID: 123055 Views:3934 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
After reading something on the Bigpond Web site I went a bit further to their section on Spyware and then downloaded a program that they recommended.

I was pretty confident that my Computer would be OK, BUT after running the program found that I had a number of files infected, which I promptly deleted.

I then downloaded the program again on the laptop and had a similar result, as well a several files that I had transferred to a portable hard drive as a back up.

For all those other members who also have not been in the practice of running these checks on their computers, it may be worth while down loading one of the programs that your ISP recommends. There are a lot of free programs available and as I know very little about them, I will not recommend any.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Fosssil - Sunday, Nov 12, 2006 at 21:33

Sunday, Nov 12, 2006 at 21:33
Hi...
For those who are concerned about computer security, here are a few programs that I use to keep my computer infection free...touch wood....lol
I use these free programs and between them they keep my PC and laptop 99% free of spyware and trojans and viruses...You should also use a firewall like Zonealarm...there used to be a free version ...not sure now..(I use paid for version of ZA.)
Spyware blaster stops over 6 thousand spyware from being loaded rather than being removed after loading

Most importantly, I have found that all of these programs are compatible with each other after fine tuning...same can be tuned to update automatically...eg Xofspy and AVG and ZA...All programs work with Firefox and Thunderbird (which is Mozillas email client.)

Site Link
Spyware Blaster

I find that AVG free virus scan works very well and is very easy to use.

free.grisoft.com/doc/39791

Site Link
XoftSpy

" target="EOF" class="lbg">www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
Lavasoft

I use the paid for version of this program.

Site Link X&ovchn=GGL&ovcpn=AA_Zone+Alarm+Anti+Spyware&ovcrn=sr2zl20go1041go31pi30ai20+zonealarm&ovtac=PPC&SR=sr2zl20go1041go31pi30ai20

Have fun
regards,
fosss
AnswerID: 569698

Follow Up By: Fosssil - Sunday, Nov 12, 2006 at 22:02

Sunday, Nov 12, 2006 at 22:02
Hmmm...wish there was an edit facility...I guess there are for's and against's...

The "for" being the ability to edit minor mistakes and "against"...It certainly would make some folks think twice before writing what is not acceptable under the constitution of the Bog.
fosss
FollowupID: 846596

Reply By: Turist - Monday, Nov 13, 2006 at 00:14

Monday, Nov 13, 2006 at 00:14
the solution to all your problems with virus attacks lies right here.

Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 569699

Follow Up By: Fosssil - Monday, Nov 13, 2006 at 00:48

Monday, Nov 13, 2006 at 00:48
Hey Bob...
When and if the Mac becomes as popular and wide spread in use as the PC/laptop of the IBM format, then it too will suffer from geeks/nerds writing virus's ...at the moment they probably don't own a Mac therefore not many virus's are written...and the geek's /nerd's are not out there looking for security holes to attack..and there would be some...that's for sure. hey...why am I telling you that...you already know it...lol
There is no denying that Mac's are good and are used extensively in the scientific area, but for the average user of PC's and Laptops they don't need a Mac and hence can purchase a powerful unit at a fairly cheap price these days of competition in the stones like Harvey Norman etc...also there are far more programs written for the PC than the Mac..Tho that does not matter if you use the Mac's ability to run Win XP...then I suppose you would be open to the standard virus attacks...

I don't profess to know much at all about the Mac and compatibility and likely virus issues, so all of the above could be cr@@...lol...Just had to write something for Bob to have a go at...lol...lol...
Regards,
fosss ....who has put on his blast protection gear...lol
FollowupID: 846597

Reply By: Bogger John - Tuesday, Nov 14, 2006 at 22:19

Tuesday, Nov 14, 2006 at 22:19
After learning the hard way when my computer got clogged up with spyware and had to do a clean install, I now run three antispyware programs, all free and haven't had a problem for a couple of years. They are:
1. Spyware Blaster - stops spyware getting in
2. Spybot Search and destroy - zaps anything that may sneak in
3. Ad-Aware SE
You definitely need to run more than one and update them frequently

John and Jan
AnswerID: 569700

Our Sponsors