Pre Booking Campsites In Qld.

Submitted: Friday, Nov 17, 2006 at 03:15
ThreadID: 123067 Views:4644 Replies:6 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Maybe some members have not struck this yet but now you must pre book and pre pay for a campsite in Qld Nat Parks and State Forest campgrounds.

This is to be done on the internet or telephone before you arrive at the campsite.

A lot of travellers are lodging complaints with the Qld authorities and the parks staff.
Park rangers that I have spoken with are not in favour of the system and are sick and tired of fielding complaints from disgruntled campers who arrive at a campsite only to be faced with a sign threatening on the spot fines if you camp without pre-payment and pre- registration.

With some of the campgrounds it is not possible to phone and pre-pay for a site as there is no phone coverage so it is either drive until you can phone or risk a fine.
This takes some of the spontaneity out of deciding where to stop when on the road.

Another complaint being fielded by the rangers is the added cost.
It takes 7 to 10 minutes on the phone to complete the transaction, a lot of stupid questions have to be answered and credit card details taken, you have to listen to and agree to a lengthy set of terms and conditions.
The mobile phone call can cost $6.00 to $9.00 depending on your location and plan.
That just about doubles the cost of a one night stop.

None of the rangers that I have spoken with can see a requirement for this stupidity, there is no labour saving on their end as they still have to visit the campground and check the registrations.

I have phoned to register my concerns about this system, the only response that I got was “Yeah, we are getting a lot of complaints.”
I have also written but no response has been forthcoming.

Just another way to deter people from using National parks.
Add it to the list, no fires, no fishing, closing tracks, increasing charges, no waste removal, no firewood supplied, no firewood gathering.
Soon the yogi bears will have what they want, NO PEOPLE.

Anyhow, that’s my rant for the day.

Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Friday, Nov 17, 2006 at 03:52

Friday, Nov 17, 2006 at 03:52
Bob,

We found the same thing when we made an improptu camp at Porcupine Gorge. Several sites that were vacant all night had tags on them saying "reserved". We used two of these as our rig could not fit into just one. There were only 6 campers in the whole park, ......nobody had pre-booked......and it would have been 1 1/2 hours to drive to Hughenden on a rough gravel road to get phone coverage or internet access. The info centre or internet cafe would have been closed anyway.

I wonder if the pin-striped shinies who make these decisions have ever been out of Brisbane Metro area. They certainly need a reality check!! AND I agree that they are certainly making an effort to keep National Parks ONLY for the tenters and hikers. We, the majority of Australia's population are being shunted out of OUR National Parks.

Shame.................Rob.

AnswerID: 569762

Reply By: The Boondockers - Friday, Nov 17, 2006 at 06:55

Friday, Nov 17, 2006 at 06:55
I just want to add my 2 bobs worth (pardon the pun Bob). I recently travelled to Inniminka SA. We went to Cullyamurra Water Hole, a SA desert park close to Inniminka, and stayed overnight. The Ranger caught up with us the next morning and forced us and another 5 vans to pay $30 per vehicle for an overnight SA Desert Parks Pass. The road in wasnt graded and there were no facilities except for one bush dunny.
WHAT A RIPOFF!!!!!
WARNING TO ALL TRAVELLERS - DO NOT STAY OVERNIGHT IN A SA DESERT PARK OR YOU WILL BE HIT!
The Ranger seemed like he was on a commission to collect the money. Probably trained as a parking officer by some council.

Rosco
AnswerID: 569763

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Saturday, Nov 18, 2006 at 02:28

Saturday, Nov 18, 2006 at 02:28
A lot of places out there to bury a body Rosco :-) yes a joke folks....my sense of humour.

Correct me if i am wrong but unless things have changed since we last enquired you are supposed to get a NAT Parks pass for each State's Nat Park you intend camping in,

In other words,

You cannot get one Aust Wide parks Pass to cover the lot, please tell me i am wrong, because this is stupid beuracratic BS IMO.

did i spell beurabull bleep right??

Cheers
FollowupID: 846643

Follow Up By: Mobi Condo - Saturday, Nov 18, 2006 at 18:04

Saturday, Nov 18, 2006 at 18:04
Nice sense of Humour there Mick & Vickie,
Similar to us - I made a "crack" about finding a white 4bie ute and green canvas covered tray frame with two stiffs in the cab some where in the Davenports (SE of Tennant Creek) in July 2003. It made my wife a bit nervous for a while there as we set up camp all alone next to Whistle Duck water hole.
Some just never learn (do I ?)
Cheers Ian & Sally
FollowupID: 846644

Reply By: Theywent Thataway - Friday, Nov 17, 2006 at 07:45

Friday, Nov 17, 2006 at 07:45
Hi Bob - A similar thing is now happening to an extent in NSW except that they allow both self registration & bookings. Trouble is they don't place any form of rteservation on the site you book so you get there to find someone who has done the right thing & self registered is in the spot. I say it should all be self registration or better still no registration as after all the parks are ours.

David.
the scruB ark...on The Way

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Fiamma Carry Bike for sale

AnswerID: 569764

Reply By: The Tower Trackers - Saturday, Nov 18, 2006 at 04:39

Saturday, Nov 18, 2006 at 04:39
Should get on to the Caravan & Motorhome crowd and see what sort of a ruccus they can create, with our support of course, it is amazing what a voice they have and I guess if we all got behind them to lobby the powers that be - we might get a hearing. Just a thought! any one got any other suggestions?
There was a suggestion last year about becoming affiliate members of the Motorhome Club which was going to enable other clubs or persons being privy to the magazine which is put out- does anyone know if this has happened?

The country is so over governed that soon they will be telling us whether we can buy a Bustracker or not!!!!!!!!!! God help us all!!!

To join Bob - thats my rant for the day!!!!!!!!!

Margie
AnswerID: 569765

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Saturday, Nov 18, 2006 at 17:47

Saturday, Nov 18, 2006 at 17:47
Here is the photo of Porcupine Gorge NP. camp site:-

Porcupine Gorge National Park Camping

Pre-booked sites 10 and 11. Each were too small for our rig so we used both. (only paid for one though). All other pre-booked sites were vacant the night we were there. [This was a particularly depressing situation as we had just spent a couple of nights at Camp Foster, Charters Towers, where there was no internet pre-booking, no fees, no regulations – we even had a campfire on the driveway – and, superb hospitality from the Rangers – THANKS Margie and Horse.]

I must say that I agree with John Laws and Alan Jones that State Governments should be abolished, allowing consistent conditions in not only NATIONAL Parks, but in road rules, bushfire regulations, rest area usage, water storage, irrigation licensing, driver licencing, vehicle registration, towing regulations, load restrictions, education, health and medical services, etc etc.etc.

It is sickening to hear a Federal Politician blaming the State for the lack of action relating to the Pacific Highway, then the State Politician blaming the Feds for not providing funding. The Queensland Government allows cotton farmers to use and hold all the water that flows into the Darling, leaving NSW with nothing to fight the drought. The Federal Government can’t do anything about it…..”it’s a State Issue” …….BULL bleep !!!!

Of course, neither the Feds nor the States would agree to a referendum on abolition of State Governments, because it is obvious what would happen. The message needs to come from the people, and perhaps if we combined with Caravan & Motorhome Clubs, Caravanners Forum, Explore Oz. etc etc., we could help to get the message across.

Of like is the Motoring Organizations….RACQ, AAA, RACV, RAA and NRMA…what is NATIONAL about the National Roads and Motorists Association? Perhaps if State Governments were abolished, there could be a NATIONAL body.

That’s my rant for the day,

Cheers……………Rob

AnswerID: 569766

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Saturday, Nov 18, 2006 at 17:49

Saturday, Nov 18, 2006 at 17:49
Hey Bob,

I tried putting the photo in the last post, but it failed.....Any clues??

Rob
AnswerID: 569767

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Saturday, Nov 18, 2006 at 19:37

Saturday, Nov 18, 2006 at 19:37
Ive tried twice to help & explain, both times it hit cyberspace and never came back.

let me see if this works before i explain what i do.

FollowupID: 846645

Follow Up By: Turist - Saturday, Nov 18, 2006 at 20:17

Saturday, Nov 18, 2006 at 20:17
Rob there is an instruction page in the documents folder, on your "My Home" page.

Let me know if you are still having problems.

Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 846646

Follow Up By: Fosssil - Saturday, Nov 18, 2006 at 20:25

Saturday, Nov 18, 2006 at 20:25
Just testing

Site Link
The Image
FollowupID: 846647

Follow Up By: Fosssil - Saturday, Nov 18, 2006 at 20:29

Saturday, Nov 18, 2006 at 20:29
That was a drag and drop of image...not ideal..
fosss
FollowupID: 846648

Follow Up By: Fosssil - Saturday, Nov 18, 2006 at 20:38

Saturday, Nov 18, 2006 at 20:38
more testing

FollowupID: 846649

Follow Up By: Fosssil - Saturday, Nov 18, 2006 at 20:56

Saturday, Nov 18, 2006 at 20:56
how I did it following Bobs inst.
use any photo that has internet access.... ie I used one of Robs photos.
Right click on photo and go to properties....Highlite the photo web address and copy it...
Then place that copied text in between the two quotes below...no spaces
you would need to have the photo loaded to the web, and you could use a photo that has been loaded to the BOG photo pages, or a photo that has been loaded to a place like Photobucket.com
Hope it works this time.....lol
fosss

FollowupID: 846650

Follow Up By: Fosssil - Saturday, Nov 18, 2006 at 21:02

Saturday, Nov 18, 2006 at 21:02
It would not let me place the text below in one line so just put all of the text below in one line and place the photos web address in between the two quotes
Thats all from me..Have fun...fosss

FollowupID: 846651

Follow Up By: Fosssil - Saturday, Nov 18, 2006 at 21:07

Saturday, Nov 18, 2006 at 21:07
still wont let me do it....so just look under the post type in area where it says for images and substitute your photo web address for what is in between the quotes.
fosss
FollowupID: 846652

Our Sponsors