Midges

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 18, 2006 at 05:48
ThreadID: 123070 Views:4941 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
While checking the Touring Oz MSN site I found this link to Department of Medical Entomology where there are some interesting facts about the small insects.

medent.usyd.edu.au/fact/bitmidge.htm

I think it is worth a read, and too have Midge screens fitted when you are having your new van built.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Monday, Nov 20, 2006 at 05:23

Monday, Nov 20, 2006 at 05:23
There is no doubt that the tropical sandfly is a pain in the bum, neck, legs, arms and ankles etc.

For some people a 'brew' of 50% Dettol and 50% baby oil works very effectively but you will stink of dettol and don't go out in the sun or you will fry. We used to be able to buy a skin cream called 'Stay so Soft' that was less offensive than baby oil.

I have used this when wading through mangroves after crabs - with a large cloud of the little mothers buzzing around my head...... but no bites.

The midgee mesh screens on the Bt work very well.

Regards

John
AnswerID: 569775

Reply By: Bushtracker - Monday, Nov 20, 2006 at 18:09

Monday, Nov 20, 2006 at 18:09
We at Bushtracker disagree with the comment above:

"have Midge screens fitted when you are having your new van built."

For the reasons why, see the Posting TIP # 132, with also has one of the worlds best Midgee Repellents in it...(I sure hope it is still available) But for the reasons on TIP # 132 see why we at Bushtracker DISAGREE, and WHY neither of the Directors have Midgee screens on their own vans.

Regards from the Ranger, here to help, doing it 24/7...

"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 569776

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 00:32

Wednesday, Nov 22, 2006 at 00:32
John,
I agree with you.

As Secretary of the Bushtracker Owners Group, I would just like to point out to everyone on this forum.

That this forum WEB Site is owned by ALL the financial members of the Bushtracker Owners Group, and is NOT owned by Bushtracker International. BTi Directors as a financial member have the right to comment, but they Do Not have any more rights on this site than any of the other members do.

Every member has a right to give their own opinion, and it is up to the members if they wish to take notice of that members opinion. If someone disagrees with those comments, then say so, but the Term of Use of this forum forbid any personal attacks on the member who made the comment.

I would urge everyone to submit their thoughts on the forum on any subject that they wish to do so, without being intimidated.

Brian

AnswerID: 569777

Reply By: Burt & Mary - Saturday, Nov 25, 2006 at 02:54

Saturday, Nov 25, 2006 at 02:54
Would strongly suggest 50% midge screens if you are going to frequent northern Australia or coastal regions in summer. We have changed 2 windows to midge screens and use a 240v 10" fan in front of the open window to ensure sufficient fresh air and breeze if necessary. First to admit they do cut down the airflow but doing without the little beasties and having a forced breeze if necessary is a better solution. No midge screens means you are forced to use sprays and stuff.
AnswerID: 569778

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Saturday, Nov 25, 2006 at 05:13

Saturday, Nov 25, 2006 at 05:13
The ONLY REASON that I think people should consider having Midge screens fitted when they are buying their caravan is the cost saving.

It is ONLY another thing for new owners to CONSIDER. If you are concerned about air flow then obtaining some midge screen wire that could be used on a door would cost you about $30. You could then compare the air flow through this screen and normal fly screens at home and make your own decisions.

The 8 window midge screens for our van cost $350.30. I have no idea what the normal screens would cost, but I would think it would be over $200 so the extra cost for midge screens would be a lot less than changing later.

We have not had a problem with these tiny insects biting us inside our van, with the normal screens. The problem that we have had is these tiny insects coming in uninvited and after contact with the lights, dropping down on us and our food.

The worse case of these insects coming in the van was in September this year, when we were camped near a friends house in Shepparton, Vic. There were several horses in a yard nearby and it appears that there were more tiny insects around the horse yards.

If you do decide to buy midge screens from Camec, be prepared for a long wait as they took over a month to manufacture them after we ordered ours.

Brian

AnswerID: 569779

Reply By: Andy1 - Saturday, Nov 25, 2006 at 15:52

Saturday, Nov 25, 2006 at 15:52
It is amazing how much passion can be raised by such a small insect.

Personally I am on the anti screen side. One of the great pleasures of the outdoors is having open windows & plenty of breeze either at home or in your BT. We live on the coast not far south of the Tropic of Capricorn - just down the hill from us is the Tannum Sands Caravan Park which is famous for sand flys. On the house we have no airconditioning, no midgee screens & keep cool with ceiling fans & louvres which allow plenty of air flow. Louvres all open in summer. On the very odd occasion we notice sand flys at night, on with the electric repellant system - no problems. Same with the BT.

It is true that sometimes in the wet tropics, where we lived for many years, the insects, not just sand flys, are present in the millions & particularly unpleasant. In this circumstance really all that is possible is to use a yellow light outside & the electric repellant inside. Unfortunately in the tropics sand flys & summer go together so it is usually hot nights when breeze is at a premium that the problem arises. Personally we would rather manage the sand flys that go without the breeze.

It is true that there is no accounting for taste, as the old man said when he kissed the cow, but we would never consider fitting screens that would reduce the internal airflow in the van.

Andy
AnswerID: 569780

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Monday, Nov 27, 2006 at 18:11

Monday, Nov 27, 2006 at 18:11
Thank you Andy,

With regards to this Debate, some people vigorously defend their point of view, as if they are going to lose face here on the BOG if they do not win the argument. On the other hand, I want a fair and balanced view given, so the Newbies are not misled into making the wrong decisions by some questionable advice. What do I care if people get Midgee screens or not? I will not notice after they leave here... However, I am here trying to look after peoples best interests, the Scout for the Wagon Train; here as a Volunteer to try and help people.

I would suggest that anyone that still is considering Midgee Screens, study TIP # 132-B in relation to a very good alternative to handle Midgees, without cutting down the breeze and air flow. If they fully understand the disadvantages, and the alternatives, and still want Midgee screens, that is fine with me. But I would still say there is a better alternative.

Regards, lone Ranger

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 846656

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Monday, Nov 27, 2006 at 18:13

Monday, Nov 27, 2006 at 18:13
Actually, TIP 132, and then one step further, 132-B with regards to the non-toxic Midgee repellent available that works on Inverter or 240 mains, and I am told 12v as well.

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 846657

Our Sponsors