Electrical Problems in Caravans. 2 dangerous incidents.

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 04:40
ThreadID: 123074 Views:2851 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We had a visit last week by the owners of a caravan looking for the house sitters who we had while away. During our conversation he described the serious electrical problems in his caravan with an off road pack, that was manufactured by a well known Victorian company that mainly makes on road vans.

When he ordered the caravan he asked the dealer to wire up both his vehicle and the caravan with an Anderson Plug to charge the on board batteries while travelling.

Being an electrically challenged person, when things stopped working he went to an auto electrician who inspected the set up.
What he found was very disturbing.
Apparently both the Caravan manufacturer had used under sized wiring throughout the caravan and also the Anderson plug wiring that had not been protected by circuit breakers or fuses. Somewhere a short circuit occured and all the wiring burnt out between car battery and caravan and also within the caravan. The whole caravan required re-wiring, and was lucky to have not caught fire.

The other incident I was told about last night, was by a close friend who owns a well known brand purpose built off road caravan that was fitted with an inverter. When he had an electrical problem in his van he called in an electrician who made a number of tests and found that when the Inverter had been connected, it was done in such a way that the 240 volt power made the exterior inlet plug live. (The plug where you connect mains power into van.)
Fortunately this fault was found before any unsuspecting person touched the inlet pins.

It is amaising how so called experts can put unsuspecting caravan owners at risk.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 05:17

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 05:17
Scary - espesially for the electrically challenged - like me

John
AnswerID: 569789

Reply By: Jaunty Jordans - Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 11:39

Tuesday, Nov 21, 2006 at 11:39
Hi Brian and Margaret,
The really concerning thing about this is that it happens far too often. We were travelling to the Cape a few years back with a full car and children and thought we could smell burning. At my insistence we pulled over and unpacked the rear of the Toy to discover the plug that the Engel was plugged into was melted. Naturally we pulled in to an auto electrician and were told the whole thing had been wired incorrectly and he was surprised we had got this far without serious mishap.
The bad thing..... the job had been done by an AUTO ELECTRICIAN!!!!!
Can you trust anyone these days??? or has high quality workmanship and pride in the job disappeared? Gosh I sound like my father........I must be old!
Prue
AnswerID: 569790

Our Sponsors