Coolmatic HDC 190

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 03, 2006 at 02:41
ThreadID: 123100 Views:8495 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a problem which certainly has been discussed previously but I can not find the thread.

Playing around near the fridge compressor the other day I noticed that if the wiring coming out of the fridge terminal block was bumped the compressor stopped & then a few seconds later restarted. A very light tap was sufficient to cause a stop - restart. The problem turned out to be a broken wire in the thermostat circuit which I temporarily repaired by removing the broken section & resoldering wire into connector.

My problem is this, I want to buy a spare but recall, from a past posting, that this is not so easy as there is a diode in this section, viz the blue wire that is connected to the lowest terminal block connector. Additionally the wire on the diode, which broke looks like silver & is pretty brittle.

Can somebody please tell me where I can buy a spare.

Andy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker - Monday, Dec 04, 2006 at 19:24

Monday, Dec 04, 2006 at 19:24
Call Coast to Coast RV, for spares mailed out, on 07 3216-6580.... Regards, Ranger
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 569873

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Monday, Dec 04, 2006 at 21:36

Monday, Dec 04, 2006 at 21:36
Andy,
The Resistor in that wire can be obtained from ANY electronics store, like Dick Smith and have terminals soldered on each end. They are obtainable from WAECO on 1800 121212 also. The electronics shop just needs to see the colour of the bands on the old resistor to know what size it is. They are normally 1500 (whatever they measure resistors in)

In the interim if you are still having problems just remove the resistor section all together and the fridge will run properly, but will only draw about half the normal amps. It will not run fast enough to cool properly in very hot conditions, but would be still OK for cooler temps.

I have found that a good fix to prevent this resistor wire from breaking is to place a piece of plastic cable tie along the length of resistor wire and then use some more shrink wrap to hold it in place. The wire breaks due to fatugue but the plastic cable prevents it moving and we haven't broken one since using this method. We broke several before fixing it this way.

While you are at it, where the group of wires go into piece of aluminuim channel on the base of fridge, this controls the voltage to inside light, they tend to fatigue as well. When I replaced my last one, I filled the channel up with silicon and this prevents virbration where wires go into small black plastic block, and they haven't broken since.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 569874

Reply By: Andy1 - Tuesday, Dec 05, 2006 at 01:33

Tuesday, Dec 05, 2006 at 01:33
Thanks Guys

We had to drive to Rockhapton this morning so I called in at the local Waeco/Engel/Trailblazer etc repair guy/agent.

From my point of view, an interesting discussion which sort of put together some of what I have read on the forum & discussed with other BT Owners, apologies to some who will find this old hat.

The short blue connection that plugs into the lower terminal block outlet, as supplied by Waeco, is a 1500 ohm resistor. According to Danfoss, the compressor manufacturers, the compressor speed is controlled by this resistor viz

Resistor (ohms) Compressor Motor Speed (rpm)
0 2,000
277 2,500
692 3,000
1523 3,500

The service guy said that when he replaced these resistors he used 270 ohm resistors to keep the power consumption down. This would seem to imply the point of time consumption rather than the power consumption per cycle on (my) assumption that Newton's first law applies.

Now I have another question: Has anyone played around changing the resistance & if so what were the results?

Andy
AnswerID: 569875

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Dec 05, 2006 at 03:02

Tuesday, Dec 05, 2006 at 03:02
With our first fridge, we found a very good service agent in Derby and it was him who told us about the running of fridge with and without resistor.

He claimed that in lower temperature climates, the resistor wasn't required but when in really hot weather the compressor needs to draw more power and operate a bit harder to keep the fridge cool.

Only time will tell if the lower resistor will be suitable, but I would recommend the bracing of the resistor with something like a cable tie, and it would probably be worth while having a 1500 Ohm resistor with you in case you require one in the bush in very high temeratures.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 846720

Reply By: Andy1 - Saturday, Dec 09, 2006 at 03:40

Saturday, Dec 09, 2006 at 03:40
Assuming the information on this page:

www.seafrost.com/skuttlebut.htm#q

is correct the answer to my question is in the first few paragraphs.

Andy

AnswerID: 569876

Our Sponsors