CDMA Phone Coverage

Submitted: Monday, Dec 04, 2006 at 21:58
ThreadID: 123102 Views:4603 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Is it my imagination or are others with a CDMA phone finding that the signal strength has dropped since Telstra introduced the new 3G network?

My phone has been working fine for nearly 5 years and since the new network started the signal strength has dropped right off, even in the car kit. At home where we had a good signal, we can no longer get a signal from inside the house.

Telstra deny reduce the signal, so I would be interested to see if others have experienced the same, or if it is just my old phone.

With my wireless CDMA Broadband card it can only get 1 bar of signal at home also.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Maximus - Tuesday, Dec 05, 2006 at 03:34

Tuesday, Dec 05, 2006 at 03:34
Brian

May be only a regional/local thing. I have not noticed any change and we live in the country.

Barrie
AnswerID: 569878

Reply By: Silver and Tinks - Tuesday, Dec 05, 2006 at 05:22

Tuesday, Dec 05, 2006 at 05:22
Brian
you are right but do not buy a current 3G phone as they are not the replacment for CDMA .

Next 3G Network is the replacement in 2008.

Telstra got me with a current 3G phone after sending me a letter about CDMA.

I now find out the current 3G network is the same as the digital network not much chop for we travellers.
AnswerID: 569879

Reply By: Jaunty Jordans - Tuesday, Dec 05, 2006 at 06:00

Tuesday, Dec 05, 2006 at 06:00
Hi all,

We live in the NT in a marginal area. 1km out of town and you lose the cdma signal.....but it does depend on a number of things:
#if you have bought 3G it cannot be used in the NT at all.
#which phone you buy, the flash imates are hopeless and you compromise phone for all the other flash stuff and you can't use them inside buildings in a cdma area.
#we bought a Motorola RZR after much research into this new system and are very pleased with its performance. It actually does get better reception in our area and I can pick up a signal for a whole 5kms out of town.
I think the 3G system has made a difference in all other states to the strength of the old cdma signal and they couldn't afford to allow that here in the NT!!!! with so many people relying on the cdma network.
Prue
AnswerID: 569880

Reply By: Tassie Bushies - Wednesday, Dec 06, 2006 at 08:34

Wednesday, Dec 06, 2006 at 08:34
Hi All.
Anyone contemplating coming to Tassie in the near future, don't go out & get a next G phone. The coverage here is that bad I have taken the card out and put it back in my old digital phone.
CDMA & Digital still good here, but only Telstra. Definately NOT OPTUS.
Regards Peter.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 569881

Follow Up By: Bushtucker Man - Friday, Dec 08, 2006 at 02:52

Friday, Dec 08, 2006 at 02:52
Hello to all of you Boggers, I have found the signal weaker and I live in S.E.Sydney not only that what p----- me off is that about 75% of the time I dont even get to answer a call as the phone doesn't ring, all I get is a voice message which I pay to retrieve after the other person has paid to ring me, then I have to return the call.

They..TELSTRA.. get you all ways, no wonder they make billions of $$$$$$.

Regards Stan
FollowupID: 846721

Reply By: Spirit Gypsys - Sunday, Dec 10, 2006 at 08:38

Sunday, Dec 10, 2006 at 08:38
Brian, we've got a nokia cdma which seems to have pretty good coverage but have only had 2 bars where we've been "stuck" for the last 9 months.
It's a bit in the bush outside Pittsworth, 40 klm west of Toowoomba.
We haven't noticed any change since 3G started.
The same applies to our Sierra card
AnswerID: 569882

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, Dec 13, 2006 at 00:12

Wednesday, Dec 13, 2006 at 00:12
It would appear that it may be a fault in our phone, as I met someone that has exactly the same phone as us, and he gets a lot better signal strength than our phone does at the same location. Must have just been a coincidence that it started at about the same time as 3 G network was opened.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 569883

Our Sponsors