Best route Kunda Park to Adelaide

Submitted: Monday, Dec 11, 2006 at 01:33
ThreadID: 123112 Views:4744 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

We will be at BTi on the 20th Dec and then head to Adelaide for Xmas.

What is the best way across the ranges with the van? Do we go for the Dalby St George or is there a better way?
Obviously we will be travelling lng days in order to meet up with the family for the 24th.
Has anyone done this trip at this time of year?
Any hints gratefully received.
Prue
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Monday, Dec 11, 2006 at 05:12

Monday, Dec 11, 2006 at 05:12
G'day Prue,

Just about all the country between Brisbane and Adelaide is bone dry or burnt, so don't expact any pretty scenery. I did a recent trip to Griffith from Nelson Bay, down via Hume Highway and back via mid-western.....dust storms around Grenfell-Cowra and smoke from Lithgow to Newcastle.

Shortest route would be Goondiwindi, Dubbo, Borken Hill....The Pilliga, north of Coonabarabran has just had 100,000 ha burnt out....locals are blaming Carr and his NPWS lockout policies for excessive regrowth creating a huge fire hazard. Proof is in the pudding now!! The Darling is a series of mud holes with the major contibuting factor being the Cotton industry in Qld..........Yep it's a pretty miserable scene out there at the moment.

A more scenic route, if you have the time, would be via Toowoomba, Tenterfield, Uralla, Walcha, Gloucester, Sydney,( F3-M7), Albury, then follow the Murray to Adelaide. If you chose this route you could call in to Nelson Bay for a night at Camp Caldwell. We have first hand experience along this route so please contact us for free camps, travel times, hazards and nice spots to visit.

Bti to here is a long day (10 hours in BT speak). About the same from here to Albury...then 2 days to Adelaide. BIG TRIP!!

Cheers..........Rob & Liz
AnswerID: 569940

Reply By: Mobi Condo - Monday, Dec 11, 2006 at 07:06

Monday, Dec 11, 2006 at 07:06
G'Day Jaunty Jordans - Prue,
From our experience the quickest way is via Barrier Highway, shortest by a few k is via dubbo, Hay etc.
However we try to dodge the busy roads and prefer back roads if we have time.
So I will do names in order from memory for the shortest.
Brisbane, Ipswich, Cunninham Highway / Gap, Goondiwindi, Moree (Lovely Bore Spa baths), Narrabri, Coonabarrabran (take the road through Mendooran to Dubbo for relief from transports - also very nice drive), Parkes, West Wyalong, Hay, Balranald, Piangil, Ouyen, Pinnaroo, Tailem Bend, Adelaide.
Now for the quickest (due to the barrier highway being an easy cruising road) - Brisbane, Ipswich, Cunninham Highway / Gap, Goondiwindi, Moree (Lovely Bore Spa baths), Narrabri, Coonabarrabran, Gilgandra, Warren, Nevertire, Cobar, Wilcannia, Broken Hill, Adelaide.
Hope this is of assistance.
Cheers - Ian & Sally
AnswerID: 569941

Follow Up By: Jaunty Jordans - Monday, Dec 11, 2006 at 08:15

Monday, Dec 11, 2006 at 08:15
Hi Ian and Sally,

We were looking at the route thru Dalby, St George and then down to Wilcannia and Broken Hill.
We only have 4 days to do the trip if we are going to be in Adelaide for Xmas.
Is this shorter? I hate to think how hot it is going to be but....
Might try to call in for a cuppa after the 4th if you are going to be home.
Prue
FollowupID: 846748

Follow Up By: Mobi Condo - Monday, Dec 11, 2006 at 19:19

Monday, Dec 11, 2006 at 19:19
Hello ,
Wow that sounds good - very easy run down through St George (good camp at a private camp site (Kapunda Fishing Park) there as well - on the Balonne river - We looked in at the EJ Beardmore Dam could have camped there – but outside of the fenced area. This was where we saw a rig set up! But we went back to the Kapunda Fishing Park - unpowered site for $12 per car per night. (Powered was $18:00) We were still in our swagging mode then!
From there why not try the Darling River run? Through Bourke to Wilcannia etc.
I feel sure it would be easily done in 4 days
Alternate to that, we have done the road through to Eulo then down the Paroo (good camp spot at Oumrimperee Water hole just past the Currawinya Shearing Sheds in the Currawinya NP) to Hungerford, Wanaaring and onto Wilcannia (or you could go via White Cliffs to Broken Hill) - we are so spoilt for fantastic outback tracks in OZ - hence our great aim to use different routes in and out of Qld for each visit there!
Any ways you should with easy driving (maybe long days) get to Adelaide in 4 days. I am a bit envious actually - I drool at the thought as I reply to this!
Cheers - Ian & Sally
FollowupID: 846749

Reply By: SuziTracker - Monday, Dec 11, 2006 at 19:03

Monday, Dec 11, 2006 at 19:03
Prue

Another route which we have done is Dalby, St George, Cunnamulla, Bourke, Cobar (This is 161km of very good road), Broken Hill, Adelaide.
I hope this helps.

Regards
Brian & Norma
AnswerID: 569942

Reply By: Two Doo - Wednesday, Dec 13, 2006 at 00:13

Wednesday, Dec 13, 2006 at 00:13
Greetings Everybody, we did the exact trip in three days, using the Dubbo,Parkes, West Wyalong Hay,Lameroo, Pinnaro(shortened list from the above full list) to avoid the very busy Christmas road and TRUCK traffic along the Murray. It certainly is dry, but for a three day trip, with the least traffic, it is the best of the lot. Depending on your end destination, the entrty to Adelaode via the freeway is MUCH easier for a towing BT than the via the Northern suburbs.
Warwick from Adelaide
AnswerID: 569943

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Thursday, Dec 14, 2006 at 09:32

Thursday, Dec 14, 2006 at 09:32
Hi Prue - much of the way the locals have mentioned is similar to the route we took Bridgetown WA to Bundaberg when we bought our BT. We did the whole trip in 4 days - but they were dawn to dusk driving without the van. We took what we thought was the quickest route.

We joined the Barrier Highway just past Peterborough. Broken Hill, Wilcannia, overnight at Cobar, Nyngan, turning at Nevertire to Gilgandra. I took a wrong turn here and we had a lovely drive through the Warrumbungles to get back to Coonabarabran, then Narrabri, Moree, Goondiwindi and on in our case to Bundaberg via our next overnight of Dalby. The return was only marginally longer, after Dalby going to St George and Cunnamulla then to Bourke, pulling off the road part way between the border and Bourke for the night. Bourke to Wilcannia (a nice spot to camp by a bend in the river about half way between Bourke and Louth where we stopped for lunch). From Wilcannia it was back home the same way. We took six days to do the entire trip, as we did a little more sight seeing, and we towing the van.

I didn't record where the good camp spots were, but most roads had opportunities to pull off.

Safe travels and Happy Christmas.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 569944

Our Sponsors