Turning water pumps off while on the move

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 19, 2006 at 05:17
ThreadID: 123123 Views:4087 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We found out today why it is recommended that you turn the power off to your water pumps while travelling.

Somewhere along the track the small piece of metal that BTi put in front of the drain hose of the water tank has fallen off. Today while travelling on a particularly rocky road, a rock hit the plastic tap and smashed it off allowing the full tank of water to flow onto the roadway. If the pump was on it would have been running trying to pump from an empty tank.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Flipp'n Lorry - Tuesday, Dec 19, 2006 at 06:03

Tuesday, Dec 19, 2006 at 06:03
I think the pumps can handle sustained dry running, but a better reason to turn the pumps off is the damage that would occur if you get a split pipe or fitting inside the van.

One of the mods we got BTi to do to our new BT was to install the switches for the pumps above the kitchen bench (they are usually buried down inside the cupboards). I have heard so many didaster stories over the years of burst pipes or leaking fittings, that we always turn our pumps off even if just leaving camp for a hew hours).

I have reported on this idea previously on the forum, though most people dismiss it, or say they can achive the same thing by using the cirsuit breakers.

Each to his own method, but it is certainly a risk leaving the pumps on if the van is unattended or being towed.
AnswerID: 569974

Reply By: Bushtracker - Tuesday, Dec 19, 2006 at 19:21

Tuesday, Dec 19, 2006 at 19:21
Boggers,
You should all have a check list, like an aircraft taking off, even if the Pilot has 30 years of flying in He still goes through the "Check List"....

And as to the switches under the sink, they are there for a convenience when servicing the pumps. I designed the systems, with the 12v Circuit breakers in plain view and easy to get to, so you can turn off the pumps at the circuit breaker... No offense but that is the easy way, rather than moving the lower isolation swithes out. I only added the isolation switches down by the pumps for ease of service, on off on off on off a few times checking something out or adjusting something without having to get up and go all the way to the CB... However, a quick flick of the C Breaker is the easiest, AND the easiest to see..

Here is your Land Yacht on the Runway..
Water Pumps off? (Visible at the CB... easy) Check
Windows Closed? Check
Four Seasons Hatch Closed? Check
Ensuite Hatch closed Check
Fridge Locked? Check
Lockers locked? (That is why the Haffle, easy to see) Check
Gas Off? Check
TV or Radio Antenna down? Satellite Dish Down? Check Don't laugh, happens.

And so on... Look around your van and you can add to the list... Regards, Ranger

"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 569975

Our Sponsors