TIP # 137 CPS Instructions and Pictures for Fords and a New BOG Member to be…

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 21, 2006 at 22:03
ThreadID: 123130 Views:7719 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
This one is for Seth B*********** potential new BOG member, 2nd time Bushtracker Owner, that I have referred here. He needs this information, however since there are about 45 FORDS in the BOG anyway, and maybe another dozen or more in the general Readership, I have made this a TIP for the Public Forum

For those that do not know, the 7.3 PSD International engine CPS (Cam Position Sensor) is a renewable item like fan belts and radiator hoses. From a year of research on the two current engines, the CPS would have about a 40-50% failure rate somewhere between 80,000 and 150,000 kms, although it can be a defect from new. It costs about $400 from Ford Australia, or $95 air mailed from www.powerstrokeshop.com and it is one of those spares you should carry in your glovebox. Figure on about 15 minute job from unpack to clean up, it is not a big deal IF YOU HAVE ONE. There are no such renewable items in the new 6.0 motor since they redesigned the EGR in about mid 05. But, the CPS is a known and fairly common replacement part, inherent to the 7.3 International PSD engine. I will repeat, you should always carry a spare…. Just like a spare serpentine fan belt... Better to have one and not need it, than the other way around...

Here are the instructions from a few Techies from Ford that contribute to one of the Forums:

Pictures of all Sensors is at:
Site Link iteid=214083&categoryID=86743&subcat1=73203

Cut and paste that whole integral address…

The cam sensor is a common repair on the 7.3. there is no rhyme or reason to when or where they will fail. the truck will die....sometimes it will restart immediately....sometimes it will restart after you let it sit for a while....and sometimes it will not restart. the cam sensor is not the only possible cause for a stall, but is the most common. the only way to condemn the cam sensor for sure is to pull the codes, but i reccomend keeping an extra sensor in your glove box and replacing it if the vehicle stalls. 90% of the time your problem will be fixed.

To locate the cam sensor....look from underneath the truck. there is a brass piece on the cam sensor that almost looks like a timing peg just over the passenger side of the main crank pulley. disconnect the electrical sensor on the black plastic piece that the brass piece is attached to. remove the 10mm bolt that holds the sensor in. DO NOT use a 12 point socket or wrench on it. sometimes they tighten themselves up over time and the 12 point tool will round the head off. ONLY use a 6 point socket or wrench. once the bolt is removed, pull and twist on the plastic portion of the sensor. sometime the o ring hangs up and makes it difficult to remove....but by pulling strait forward towards the rad and twisting....it will eventually come. do not use the brass piece for removal as it will just come off the sensor and usually is not usefull to help with removal. once the sensor comes out, just install the new one reverse of the removal and drive on........

here is a write up from one of our members, "Maintain"....

Aside from the grammar, I'm sure no one cares about lol, I would add that housing a 3" extention, 10mm 6pt socket on 1/4" drive in your truck with a spare CPS is the best solution. Make sure you are EXTREMELY careful because if you round the bolt off then you are opening up another can of worms. Also, apply some engine oil to the Oring with your finger when re-installing. Here is a picture of location and the part itself to help -> http://www.geocities.com/pitfool03/CPSlocandnew.JPG

There has been some quarrels as to which is better, the International "blue" CPS or the Ford "black" CPS. Many owners state that with certain mods that the blue CPS (since it slightly retards the timing) is an upgrade, but if your truck is stock or even modded, the safest way is to really go with the Ford "black" one.

Comment from another Member: "OverLord"…

Another good way to diagnose a cam sensor failure, although it doesn't work on some trucks, is to watch the tach while cranking. If it doesn't register any RPM, then it's a safe bet the cam sensor is at fault.

Kind Regards to all from the Ranger,
and a big WELCOME TO THE BOG, to Seth...

Merry Christmas...

PS, Bushtracker shuts down from 12 Friday Dec 22 til Monday January 8
But the Ranger is always on the trail and will check in with a half dozen new TIPS on current R&D over the Holiday... Semper Fidelis

"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker - Thursday, Dec 21, 2006 at 22:44

Thursday, Dec 21, 2006 at 22:44
Sorry Cec, I knew the name, but mispelled it from memory... I have another "Seth", and I am just told you were "Cec"... My mistake.. Oh well, you can imagine how many names I have to keep track of. Anyway, welcome to the BOG! And if you join, for all the private camping spots and travel logs and blogs, and TIPS on the Owners Forum, I am sure you will agree that it is the cheapest money you have ever spent..

Contact Administration through the instructions on the side... I sure they will be prompt in getting back to you. This is an independent site, and the minor charge to join the Owners Forum is to pay the Website costs, so you help the Group and it gets you into the goodie section... Some of the Owners have gone to great lengths to put in Guides to their areas like in the Kimberlies and such.

Regards, Ranger

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 570004

Reply By: F Troop - Friday, Dec 22, 2006 at 22:07

Friday, Dec 22, 2006 at 22:07
Hi Steve,
Great tip I just went to the Powerstroke site to order one when I got a brain fade.

After reading this post I want one, and I figure there is probably a few more of us that will want to cary a spair as well, so would it be feasable to set up a group bye? or dose it create more problems than its worth?

Graham.
AnswerID: 570005

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Friday, Dec 22, 2006 at 23:17

Friday, Dec 22, 2006 at 23:17
Hello Graham,
Look, I have just gotten a lot of packages in from the States, as my current Monster Tonka is a Full Import... Oil filters for $19, transmission filters for $14.50, that sort of thing.. Your idea is nice, except for one thing... If you keep the packages (as many as you like, at one or two per day even) if you keep the packages under $150 Customs Declaration the sail right through Customs, no import duty, no GST. A CPS sails right in, two-three days airmail, and no one looks twice!!!! Right to your door! It is as if they are so overwhelmed they cannot, or it is not worth their time, to collect the duty and GST on anything under the $150 mark... So go it alone...

Here is an exerpt from TIP #19: On importing parts for your Fords
The trick on this end is that a package to a Private Party with a Customs Declaration under $150, at last check, is not subject to Import Duty or GST.... It is not worth clogging up the system to collect it... It helps if they make it from a "Person" as well, sails right through... A case of filters at a time, a few days later, some injectors... A few days later a set of belts.... I received a lot of packages, none went missing. The only problem was when someone erred and sent it regular mail, then it came by sea freight at a fraction of the cost but took about three months... I even got some larger packages that sailed right through without the Duty... They seemed to catch about 50% at one point... Glow Plugs for $9 (U.S. Prices) Injectors for $50 from memory.... Filters at $8, and $10, air filters at $20; and what was amazing is things like injectors and glow plugs were the same as the Ford Genuine at a fraction of the cost... From memory made in Italy... Aftermarket has "reconditioned" starters and alternators.... Cheap... Even if I had to pay Duty to clear it from the Post Office, (that is how they do it, they assess it and mail you a Duty notice and hold it for collection at your Local PO) ... Anyway, even if I had to pay Duty and such I was getting parts for just under half price of here.. I guess they have around a 100% mark up... End part of TIP #19

I buy all I can Direct from the States, easy to find a Auto Parts Store and buy just as good aftermarket stuff, not from Ford.... Filters from Napa or Fram for instance, made the same, same specs, fraction of the price... Air Mailed in. Just like few people here would by a Toyota $60 oil filter, when a Fleetguard (commercial truck mob) filter is about $15. Anyway, one off, Air Mail, on a Credit Card, sails right through... Been doing it for years...

Regards, Ranger...

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 846790

Follow Up By: F Troop - Friday, Dec 22, 2006 at 23:26

Friday, Dec 22, 2006 at 23:26
Thanks Steve I order one this arvo.
Graham.
FollowupID: 846791

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Friday, Dec 22, 2006 at 23:32

Friday, Dec 22, 2006 at 23:32
Get the Black one Graham... The International one is blue, and retards the timing a smidge just for rev heads, Truck tractor drags and such... The genuine replacement is black...
Blue will work, but might hurt fuel economy a fraction... Ranger

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 846792

Follow Up By: F Troop - Friday, Dec 22, 2006 at 23:59

Friday, Dec 22, 2006 at 23:59
How do I order the black one? they only apear to have one unit no numbers just 97/03 7.3 CPS unit $100.00.

Question. What do you put in the delivery field ( I asume not Ground )

Graham
FollowupID: 846793

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Saturday, Dec 23, 2006 at 00:19

Saturday, Dec 23, 2006 at 00:19
Select "99-03 Powerstroke diesel,"
As that is the category for your engine... 7.3 ended in the U.S. in 2003

Select "Engine Sensors"

Select " CPS"

And you will come up with a picture of the Black one... I just did and it came up with the picture and part number and price ..

As to Shipping, put your details on the Contact Us, and they will get back to you...
I am not sure how I did it, but it was easy and they took care of you.. I think I indicated Air Mail only in some comment box but I can't remember. Contact them, you do not want it going "Ground" as that is three months by boat...

Regards to all, shutting down now, Merry Christmas...

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 846794

Our Sponsors