A question for the Cooks

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 24, 2006 at 04:35
ThreadID: 123137 Views:4028 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have been told of a way to cook hams and chicken encased with in a dough made from just flour and water...resulting in a very delicious and succulent dish. Has any one used this method and how do you get the sticky dough to stay wrapped around the food before cooking etc? I have just made a complete mess in the kitchen and got a burnt mess in the oven so far trying to cook a chook for a trial run...........I recall hearing about clay pot cooking but this dough thing has me interested.
Any one?
Cheers from Jan O
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Panna Trackers - Sunday, Dec 24, 2006 at 07:40

Sunday, Dec 24, 2006 at 07:40
Hi Jan
Add a couple of pound of salt to the dough. That should do the trick
Cheers
Trevor & Lyndal
AnswerID: 570027

Reply By: Turist - Sunday, Dec 24, 2006 at 09:21

Sunday, Dec 24, 2006 at 09:21
Hi Jan
I do these dishes regularly.
Used to experiment with different dough mixes but now a bit lazy and take short cuts.

If using bread dough I just use a standard loaf mix out of the breadmaker book and mix the dough in the breadmaker.

Another way to get the same result is to use pre made puff pastry sheets from the supermarket freezer. Two layers of pastry minimum, three better.

Important that the meat, ham, chicken, beef whatever is dry to the touch and a little chilled, just nice and cold is enough.
Cooking times are extended because the dough/pastry acts as an insulator.
Use a meat thermometer, put it in prior to cooking and leave in until ready.

Very hot oven, about 220º to star, about 15 mins until dough/pastry activatest then turn down to 180 until done by thermometer.

A whole ham done this way in a Weber is fantastic.

Experiment with different stuffings, pestos etc and you will get some great results.

Happy Christmas

Bob

"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 570028

Reply By: Fosssil - Sunday, Dec 24, 2006 at 18:44

Sunday, Dec 24, 2006 at 18:44
Hi Jan,
Best to use high quality bread flour...not cake flour which will crumble...
Or maybe add some gluten flour to the mix as insurance ...(2 - 3 table spoons?)... to make the dough more elastic...

Reg.
fosss
AnswerID: 570029

Reply By: Rockgoc - Wednesday, Dec 27, 2006 at 09:13

Wednesday, Dec 27, 2006 at 09:13
Well, thanks to all of you! I will definately have another go at this as the chook was rather yummy even if it was cooked until it fell apart. The dough was something else!!! It set like CONCRETE and I really did have to jack hammer it off, which is why the chook fell apart!!! I ended up smoking the turkey in a borrowed webber bbq and as luck would have it, everything turned out just perfect!
Hope every one had a fabulous time over Christmas...we did! Aching tummies and all! As usual, ate too much.
Cheers and see you all in 2007.
Jan O & Easy
AnswerID: 570030

Our Sponsors