Roof Racks

Submitted: Friday, Jan 12, 2007 at 04:24
ThreadID: 123190 Views:4968 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone give me any info on roof rack systems that they have used on F250 Crew Cabs with Carryboy Canopy fitted. I was originally going to take a dingy with us when we travelled but after thinking more about it we have gone against that idea as did not like the hassle of taking a dingy up and down, carrying outboard motor, fuel cans etc.

We are now going for kayaks for the exercise and peace and quite of casually paddling up gorges and rivers while dragging a line and have been looking at Rino and Rolla roof rack systems. My concern is that I do not want the kayaks hanging over the front of the windscreen like you see going around.

The kayaks I am looking at will be the exact length of the roof area from the rear of the canopy on the F250 to where the windscreen meets the roof.

To do this I will have to get a set of racks attached to the Carryboy Canopy which can take 100kg of weight and another set of racks attached to the F250 roof. This will give me the flexibility of enough lenght for the kayaks and also using one set I can carry mini mal surfboards.

The only problem I can see is when the kayaks are strapped to the racks over the whole length the movement between the rear canopy and the cab of the F250 may cause problems.

I have checked with ARB in regards to roof racks but they do not make one for the F250 so if anyone has done a similar thing with there F250 I would appreciate your input on rack systems and setups..

Thanking you in advance.

Stewart
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Friday, Jan 12, 2007 at 04:45

Friday, Jan 12, 2007 at 04:45
We have a Rhino Boat loader on the Carryboy canopy only and it was fitted at roof Racks Galore in Kedron.

It is easy to wind the tinny up onto the roof, and when we take Kayaks instead of tinny they sit up on top no problems, but with some overhang at the rear of the vehicle.

I found that because the rear of the canopy was a long way forward of the rear bumper that there was too much flex at the rear of boat loader, so ran an aluminium pole down from back of boat loader to rear bumper bar on each side and it is now very strong.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 570193

Follow Up By: Black Cobra - Sunday, Jan 14, 2007 at 13:00

Sunday, Jan 14, 2007 at 13:00
Brian,

I went into the photos as I remember you had photos of your boat loader there but it appears they are no longer there, can you tell me how many bars the Rhino boat loader has and also what widths are these bars and how far do they hang over the side of the vehicle when the boat loader has nothing on it.

Just don't want to much hanging out the side when not in use.

Cheers
Stewart
FollowupID: 846923

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Sunday, Jan 14, 2007 at 20:38

Sunday, Jan 14, 2007 at 20:38
Stewart,
The width of the Rhino boat loader is dependant on the width of the boat that you are putting on it, as it is required to be 100mm wider than the boat. In addition the cross member protrude out further so that the 2 main support bars can be bolted to the 3 cross members using U clamps.
In our case the 3 cross members are 1850mm to the ends and the maximum distance available on the Carryboy allows the front and rear bars to be 1200mm apart. Again this distance is dependant on canopy length.
My 2 main support bars are made of Steel instead of the usual Aluminium as they thought that the required over hang at the rear of 960mm was too big for Al bars. I must say they were concerned when fitting it because it was the first they had done on an F250 Carryboy canopy and they couldn't fit the rear cross bar any further back.

Because of this 960mm rear overhang to get level with rear bumper, I put in a 25mm square Aluminium tube on each side to give it support and now there is no flex. A better way would be to have an angled support from the support bars down to a plate on the rear of the canopy just above the tub, but not being a welder I opted for the easy way out.

Even though the cross bars are 1850mm wide, on an F250 they are still within the width of the tub. On a narrower Landcruiser or similar they would protrude past the body.

I don't know what happened to the photos but I will find some from our last trip and send to you.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

FollowupID: 846924

Reply By: Turist - Friday, Jan 12, 2007 at 05:38

Friday, Jan 12, 2007 at 05:38
Hi Stewart
I had a Rhino rack also on the F250/Carryboy but with different fittings.

Ask your Rhino dealer to show you the commercial slide rails that rivet onto tradies vans.
That rail is a little thicker on one edge and compensates for the roof angle.
This comes in longer lengths and can go the full length of the canopy.
You then fit low profile rail supports.

I rivetted the Rhino track to the roof with 50 x 20 mm RHS on the onderside for strength.
Sikaflex between track and fibreglass.
You can then use the 50 x 20 under the "ceiling" to attach other stuff like rod carriers.
Give me a hoy if you need more info.

Bob

PS, this system will carry a tinnie up to 120 Kg
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

AnswerID: 570194

Follow Up By: Turist - Friday, Jan 12, 2007 at 05:40

Friday, Jan 12, 2007 at 05:40
PPS
You can also fit the Rhino boat loader to it, use 3 cross bars for that.

Bob
"Do It While You Can"

FollowupID: 846925

Reply By: Turist - Friday, Jan 12, 2007 at 05:50

Friday, Jan 12, 2007 at 05:50
Stewart, I forgot.

Do not, say again, do not fit rails to both canopy and cab roof.

When you tie down the movement between cab roof and canopy will bust something, canoe or rack.

When you go for a drive look at the movement between cab and tub.
The cab is soft mounted (something Frod have to do to soften the hard ride) and it moves around quite a bit.

Regards

Bob

PS, not a problem with Chevs. :-)
"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 570195

Our Sponsors